Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Who I'd really like from the Leafs is Knives or Cowan (who they took with the pick we got for Sundin) - but they are almost certainly not available.

I also agree with Lou Sassole on Domi being a potential one-year-pay-an-extra-premium-for target.

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
Who I'd really like from the Leafs is Knives or Cowan (who they took with the pick we got for Sundin) - but they are almost certainly not available.

I also agree with Lou Sassole on Domi being a potential one-year-pay-an-extra-premium-for target.

Domi is 29 coming off a one year contract. Why would he sign another 1 year deal?

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Looking at next summer's UFAs... Could have Draisaitl for just money (and we.will have lots available)... it should.be easier to attract a top UFA if we show another year of growth with youth (i believe we will be better next year).

Sorted by Goal production:

1000059653.jpg

Last edited:

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
Domi is 29 coming off a one year contract. Why would he sign another 1 year deal?

I'm suggesting we deliberately overpay someone who is willing to provide a year of scoring. Because we have the space/LTIR relief. It's one possible strategy to hold a spot for Leonard and to better assess our youth before making a big splash. It would increase offense without giving up youth or draft capital.

Any of the potential targets might be willing to sign for a year if you pay them enough. In Domi's case he only made $3M

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
I'm suggesting we deliberately overpay someone who is willing to provide a year of scoring. Because we have the space/LTIR relief. It's one possible strategy to hold a spot for Leonard and to better assess our youth before making a big splash. It would increase offense without giving up youth or draft capital.

Any of the potential targets might be willing to sign for a year if you pay them enough. In Domi's case he only made $3M

If a team offers him 4x$4M that's $16M. There's no realistic one-year "overpay" deal that would be worth it to him.

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
MacDavid is available the year after. Could he want out of Edmonton??? Could we manage our cap space an extra year and make a play for him? Or Kaprizov/Panarin? Or Eichel? Would Ovi come back cheap to play a year or two with any of them?

I know I'm getting out there (just spitballin') but we may be one of the better positioned teams to add any of those players because of where we are with cap space going forward. Certainly our guys will need raises but I haven't looked at who would be in a good position to compete for a McDavid should he want out of Edmonton at age 29...

CapsSkins

Jan 23, 2017
MacDavid is available the year after. Could he want out of Edmonton??? Could we manage our cap space an extra year and make a play for him? Or Kaprizov/Panarin? Or Eichel? Would Ovi come back cheap to play a year or two with any of them?

I know I'm getting out there (just spitballin') but we may be one of the better positioned teams to add any of those players because of where we are with cap space going forward. Certainly our guys will need raises but I haven't looked at who would be in a good position to compete for a McDavid should he want out of Edmonton at age 29...

Edmonton ain't letting McJesus walk. They'll give him a max contract and he actually doesn't mind living there, hockey robot that he is.

It's Drai that I hold out hope for because he doesn't like it there. And if Holland can't re-sign him over the summer, you'd think he'd at least gauge the market rather than risk letting him walk for nothing next summer.

Of course, can we compete with the no-state tax teams? Florida and Tampa don't have their 2025 1st's. Dallas could do it but IDK if they'd pay the price and Edmonton may not want to trade him within the Western conference.

Ultimately they probably get an extension done. But hey, if we're headed towards training camp and he doesn't have a deal.... who knows!

Reactions: ArmadilloThumb

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
If a team offers him 4x$4M that's $16M. There's no realistic one-year "overpay" deal that would be worth it to him.

He should take that. I just added him to the list as another poster mentioned him.

My initial list was with older FAs: Marchessault ($3M this year), Stamkos(6.5M), & Tafoli (3.5M)

It's late but I think we will have about $19M if Oshie is LTIR, we bring up another 2 players from Hershey (roster is at 21 now), and we pay Bear. That also takes Kuzy and Patches next year amounts into consideration (please correct me if I'm wrong!).

From that we need to pay CMM and Beck.

So if we wanted to go nuts on getting one of the players I've mentioned we have the means.

Reactions: CapsSkins

ArmadilloThumb

Apr 20, 2018
And I'll reiterate amid all the way-out but technically possible scenarios..

My hope is we wait a year or two to make any long term FA moves and that we don't move any of our young prospects before letting them develop more and all get achance to play together. Who knows having Miroshnichenko and Leonard on either side may elevate Lapierre or CMM beyond what I am already optimistically predicting. We may have almost everything in place and just need to let it season...

Neither McDavid or Draisatl will leave Edmonton. Just accept that and move on. Both are pipe dreams.
I don't want either. I was just posting who are available in future years.

What I want is our young'uns to far far overachieve - and all I'm advocating for are strategies that open the door to that.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Yea, all this crazy FA/trade talk is fun. But, seriously - the team needs to rebuild a new core to get back to sustained success. A team full of middle 6 guys is a road to nowhere.

Unless the current crop of young guys vastly over-perform, we’re going to need to tank for ~ 3-5 years, and hope we hit the right years for top line talent. Though, I worry Ted won’t let them do that.

895, of course, will delay this another 2 years. Fortunately, the org hasn’t yet made dumb moves with just that in mind (tho you could argue re-signing TW). But, now with actual cap space, we might see something short-sighted to help juice the offense for Ovi (like the Marner idea).

I’m not opposed to some short term sugar high - but it still just delays the inevitable tanking and rebuild (which will truly be the suck).

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Will be interesting to see what Caps do with the cap space they have at least.

Right now the Caps have 37,3 million for 25/26 according to capfriendly with an expected raise to 92 mill.

Already have Kuemper, 6 defencemen (Carlson, TVR, Jensen, Fehervary, Sandin and Iorio only missing Alexeyev).

Forwards:
Ovi, Protas, Strome, Wilson, Milano, Miroschnichenko signed
Leonard hopefully joins next year
Lapierre, Malenstyn and McMichael probably resigned. Thats 10 players already.

Some other cheap young players like Cristall, Funk, Trineyev or Suzdalev.

Some of the players on the team probably back: Dowd, NAK or Sgarbossa.

Lapierre + Alexeyev after next year + McMichael and Malentsyn this year should take some of that cap space.

So they have cap for a big UFA or two aswell which of course is interesting, but the team need to be better next year to be able to attract the top targets aswell. In theory Caps could have the space to add two big targets and would be fun to get some top talent around Ovi for his final year (Unless he decides he want to stay in the NHL for a little longer).

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I’ll take the one.

Yeah but Kuzy was relied on for playoff production and failed to deliver for many years. This team could've gone deep or even won multiple Cups in some of those seasons when the margin was razor thin and he just didn't show up.

We as fans aren't going to say "we lost in the first round again, and our key guys didn't show up, but at least they looked good in the regular season" for very long, if at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad