Caps may take Malkin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
True, I have heard rumblings before when McPhee has appeared to be coy about taking AO, but I thought that it was just posturing to see if he gets blown away with an offer. This may be more of the same, but it is a bit more than has been said before and the tone is a bit different. We will see.

'There is debate about the depth of a class of youngsters that promises two "can't-miss" Russian stars at the top, a handful of top-flight goaltenders, three of whom could go in the top 15, and a whole lot of "what ifs" and "maybes" in the middle.

"The top two Russians are certainly big talents and they've certainly separated themselves," said Vaughn Karpan, director of amateur scouting and the point man at the Phoenix Coyotes' draft table.

"They stand in a class of their own," added Carolina general manager Jim Rutherford.

Already there is intrigue about the respective destinations of Alexander Ovechkin, a stunning talent at 6-foot-2 from Moscow Dynamo who, at 18, was named to Russia's World Cup of Hockey squad, and countryman Evgeni Malkin.

Ovechkin's coming has been foretold for the better part of two years, yet in recent days the Washington Capitals, owners of the coveted No. 1 pick, have surprised some by suggesting Malkin, a 6-foot-3 center may have shot past Ovechkin in their estimation.

Other scouts across the NHL share a similar view.'

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/draft2004/columns/story?id=1825607

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Wishful thinking? ;) :D I wish the Pens could get Ovechkin, but I wouldn't count on it. Malkin is very good, but still not as good as Ovechkin. I think Malkin and Ovechkin will be like Spezza and Kovalchuk (not is styles of play).

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
mario66 said:
Wishful thinking? ;) :D I wish the Pens could get Ovechkin, but I wouldn't count on it. Malkin is very good, but still not as good as Ovechkin. I think Malkin and Ovechkin will be like Spezza and Kovalchuk (not is styles of play).

I actually will be happy with either . . . with how Malkin has been rising of late, I definately will be happy either way.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
Jaded-Fan said:
I actually will be happy with either . . . with how Malkin has been rising of late, I definately will be happy either way.
Same here, both are potential game breakers, which the Pens need. I would be happier if Ovechkin fell, but I'm certainly not pouting over Malkin. :yo:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jaded-Fan said:
True, I have heard rumblings before when McPhee has appeared to be coy about taking AO, but I thought that it was just posturing to see if he gets blown away with an offer. This may be more of the same, but it is a bit more than has been said before and the tone is a bit different. We will see.

'There is debate about the depth of a class of youngsters that promises two "can't-miss" Russian stars at the top, a handful of top-flight goaltenders, three of whom could go in the top 15, and a whole lot of "what ifs" and "maybes" in the middle.

"The top two Russians are certainly big talents and they've certainly separated themselves," said Vaughn Karpan, director of amateur scouting and the point man at the Phoenix Coyotes' draft table.

"They stand in a class of their own," added Carolina general manager Jim Rutherford.

Already there is intrigue about the respective destinations of Alexander Ovechkin, a stunning talent at 6-foot-2 from Moscow Dynamo who, at 18, was named to Russia's World Cup of Hockey squad, and countryman Evgeni Malkin.

Ovechkin's coming has been foretold for the better part of two years, yet in recent days the Washington Capitals, owners of the coveted No. 1 pick, have surprised some by suggesting Malkin, a 6-foot-3 center may have shot past Ovechkin in their estimation.

Other scouts across the NHL share a similar view.'

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/draft2004/columns/story?id=1825607

Sounds like more posturing to me, but who knows?

Biscuit Bullet

Feb 28, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
If the caps wanted Malkin, there's no doubt in my mind GMGM would trade down to the #2. Why take Malkin with the #1 when you can get him plus more (out of a trade with the pens) with the #2. I wouldn't be the happiest man alive if Mcphee chose Malkin over Ovechkin, but I would still be content, as Malkin will probably be an elite center in the NHL soon.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I don't think that a GM or a scout can realistically risk his job by taking Malkin. Ovechkin is the safer pick. Reputation means a lot in the NHL, and picking Malkin #1 could be the kind of thing that heads get rolled over if it doesn't work out. If they pick Ovechkin and Malkin ends up being better, they can use the hype of Ovechkin as an excuse.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
In the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review today, it said that an NHL scout said his team was trying hard to move up to either the 1st or 2nd pick, and that at least eight other teams were trying too. It looks like Pittsburgh might trade if they are blown away by an offer.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Bonzai said:
If the caps wanted Malkin, there's no doubt in my mind GMGM would trade down to the #2. Why take Malkin with the #1 when you can get him plus more (out of a trade with the pens) with the #2. I wouldn't be the happiest man alive if Mcphee chose Malkin over Ovechkin, but I would still be content, as Malkin will probably be an elite center in the NHL soon.

That is assuming that the Pens would trade up. I have no clue what the scouts are seeing as I have not seen more than maybe 20 seconds of both in a small handful of clips. So have no idea if I would actually make a trade or not. But if I genuinely believed that both were close (and only the Pens scouts know what they are really thinking) and I am the Pens, why not sit there and be happy no matter what happened?

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
I remember reading somewhere that if Evgeni Malkin was, say, Czech or Swedish, he would go #1, as the teams would want to avoid all the Russian-player transfer fees and legal quagmires. Will never know for sure. I personally am of the believe that Ovechkin is clearly the better prospect, but the true test will come in the NHL.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
DownFromNJ said:
If they are worried about not being able to sign AO they would take Malkin.
Well, Ovechkin is under contract with Dynamo for one more year, and Malkin is signed with Metallurg for 4 more. So in the end Malkin might cost just as much because of the transfer fee.

The Tang

I like gooooollllddd
Sep 19, 2002
Pittsburgh. PA
Visit site
Bonzai said:

i disagree. in fact, if you want to trade down, chances are you would get little in return from the Pens.

would Craig Patrick actually do the deal? the Pens are happy with Malkin and have been praising him, and he fills the most needed peice in the prospect system. they have no dire need to move up.

also. last year to move up 2 spaces, the Pens swapped a late second for and early 3rd, and gave Mikael Samulsson, who they wanted to get rid of anyways. so essentially, all they did was swap picks. Patrick knew how badly Dudley wanted Horton, and so wouldnt bid against himself.

so unless you want to swap 2nd rounders and take Matt Bradley, i wouldnt count on trading down.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Jim Bob said:
How do you say smokescreen in Russian?

Out of curiosity . . . to what end? McPhee has the first pick so it is not to fool another team. AO will make the rookie max and the russian transfer fee will be there for him or for Malkin. So ok, I am biting, it is all a smoke screen . . . I just do not see to what end.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It happens a lot.

The Thrashers played the game leading up to the Kovalchuk pick when they were sold on taking Ilya.

GMs seem to think that they gain some advantage by keeping everyone else guessing.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
Til the End of Time said:
GMGM is not stupid. He will take the better play, which is Ovechkin. Very simple.
What about GMGM making a move to get both? He has the firepower to move up with all of his other picks and Pitt can't really afford to pay the No. 2 pick, as proven by their decisions with Fluery last year. On top of that, they may have to pay a lot of money just to get Malkin out of Russia and they probably can't afford that either. Besides what would be easier for either prospect to adjust to the NHL then to come with their fellow countryman.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Digable5 said:
What about GMGM making a move to get both? He has the firepower to move up with all of his other picks and Pitt can't really afford to pay the No. 2 pick, as proven by their decisions with Fluery last year. On top of that, they may have to pay a lot of money just to get Malkin out of Russia and they probably can't afford that either. Besides what would be easier for either prospect to adjust to the NHL then to come with their fellow countryman.

:shakehead

Malkin is far less costly and fits the upcoming environment. And the Pens are not in the straights most think that they are, new arena, season tickets sales are on the upswing, and a new CBA and they will be fine. We in Pittsburgh very very much tire of hearing about how we will give away Malkin for a bag of pucks because we exist on bread and water. That is vastly exagerated and we are better positioned for the new hockey environment than almost any team in the NHL, including the Caps.

Though tell you what, you package AO and Semin together with next years number one and we may consider it.

PSUhockey34

Jun 22, 2003
Austin,TX
Digable5 said:

The Caps do not have the assests to trade for the 2nd overall and still keep the 1st overall...what makes you think the caps could actually do that? also what I dont understand is if the Pens couldn't afford to pay Malkin, then how in the hell are they going to be able to pay the salaries of the 3-5 players that would be accquired in the trade...this doesnt make sense on any level

Has there ever been a team in post expansion era that has drafted 1st and 2nd overall in the same draft?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->