Post-Game Talk: Caps Hurricanes 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Bowey's play is very uneven right now, but at least that means there are some good moments along with the bad. Hard to say that about Chorney or Ness tonight.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's like state television when people like Laughlin praise Chorney and Ness. They're not good.

IMO what's likely to happen is a combination of suspect offensive hockey IQ on a team level and an unstable defense leading to significantly worse 'possession' stats and very likely a pretty mediocre team overall. I'm sure they'll tighten up to some extent but I'm not sure Trotz will do anything substantial to improve their thinking offensively. He's just going to hope they can hunker down and werk enough to win.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
I think so. He's an insurance as other guys are unknown commodities. He can play with skilled guys and grinders. So I think he'll make the team
I forgot that we Connoly on the team. With that knowledge, I'm less positive on Chiasson.

Bowey looks really good. He and Djoos are creating out there to compare to Chorney and Ness

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Wait, what did Backstrom do to earn a penalty? I could buy an Orlov call there given the new slashing rules, but I didn't see Backstrom do anything

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
DSP looks okay at even strength, but awful on the PK

edit; Well he looks leaps and bounds better than Burakovsky does on the PK

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Ok, I'm sold on Djoos and Bowey as for long time our 6vs5 looks dangerous because of them. Sweet passing and bombing.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Maybe he makes it over Chiasson now. Shrug. Small potatoes either way.

The preseason hasn't been too kind for their replacement secondary scorers. Burakovsky seems to often lack substance and neither Wilson nor Connolly look poised for a big season. And, of course, the big guns of 8/19/77 all seem old and fairly slow so it's fair to wonder just how much impact they'll have as 5-on-5 leaders. They really need Burakovsky to play less east/west and become much more of a north/south attacker or else I'm not sure they'll have the guns.

They'll tighten it up but it's going to take a lot of work and a much more attuned grasp of what they need to do to have success. Unlike the past two seasons, they're not going to have the luxury of extended lulls within games that allow for team defense to help them take over in time. They're going to need to pick their spots, raise their baseline decision-making, play faster and to some coherent strength. We'll see if that comes together as they cut the roster down to size but they seem like a predominantly defense-first team lacking enough defenders. If Reirden can't whip a 2LD option up quickly and Trotz can't tinker beyond telling them to work harder they're going to have problems.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I've glanced at some of these games... Nobody has stood out to me. It's on the level of trying to figure out who has a pulse and who doesn't. Debating who is better or worse is like comparing infinitesimal quantities at this point. Maybe the overall level of play from the Caps is so meh that it makes it hard for vast majority of players to stand out...

Anyway, Caps, give me one line that plays exciting hockey more or less consistently (i.e. the Kuzy line, maybe). Last wish.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
I thought 19 looked like an elite guy playing with scrubs tonight, at least from the little I watched. Yes, he's relatively slow, but let's not start overlooking all the good things he does very, very well.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
People sweating the pre-season........

The Caps were taking a step back this season, everyone says it, comments on it, believes it, then when it happens people act surprised or upset. Very confusing.

Personally I will see were they are at after ten games, then twenty, etc., won't check the standings until game 41, just as I do every year. If they stink and miss the playoffs, I hope they go full stink, because Dahlin and Svechnikov are real deal prospects.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
People sweating the pre-season........

The Caps were taking a step back this season, everyone says it, comments on it, believes it, then when it happens people act surprised or upset. Very confusing.

Personally I will see were they are at after ten games, then twenty, etc., won't check the standings until game 41, just as I do every year. If they stink and miss the playoffs, I hope they go full stink, because Dahlin and Svechnikov are real deal prospects.

I expected the players battling for roster spots to actually give a shit about the preseason. I can't believe they're playing like that with their jobs on the line. I understand guys like Ovechkin or Backstrom not caring about the pre-season, but the guys like DSP, Peluso, Stephenson etc. should be playing like it's the playoffs.

It looks like Trotz is losing his grip on the team, not a good sign.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
How much leadership do you need to play in a preseason game when your job is on the line?? All the bubble players should have more than enough motivation to fight for their jobs right now.

I think this is coaching. Trotz needs to crack his whip.

Apparently more than we have. Malaise is infectious.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think their 5-on-5 play in general is kind of largely selfish offensively in that it doesn't really revolve around cohesion and strong team play. It's just freelancing and hoping that team defense leads to having the puck leads to moments that allow individual skill to flourish. They don't slow the play down in an effective manner like stronger grinding teams and without blazing speed these days it's likely to lead to an offense that lacks an identity 5-on-5. I won't be at all surprised if this is their fundamental issue this season. One of the symptoms may be a lack of work ethic but the underlying issue is an offensive approach that doesn't feature enough hockey IQ and anticipation. Trotz isn't wrong to call out work ethic but there's more to it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Or an issue could be a roster that doesn’t feature enough hockey IQ. IMO a lot depends on which versions of 8 and 92 show up this season before we can start making grand proclamations about system and approach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad