Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Depends on the cap hit.

PP1

--------------Kuzya-----------
Ovi---Kovy or Oshie-Backstrom
------------Carlson-----------

PP2
--------Vrana--------- (or Bura)
Ovi-Oshie or Kovy-Eller
-------Orlov----------

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Fwiw kovalchuck already said the rangers report was false, he isn't going there

Yeah, I can't imagine a 35 year old guy coming back from the KHL willing to sign with a rebuilding team like the Rangers. He'll go to a potential playoff team that needs help on the wings. I could see him sign in San Jose or something.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I realize the Caps don't sign a lot of guys or make too many big trades but I was just going over some of the recent smart moves they have made and there have been a few.

Not re-signing Ward, he is a healthy scratch in the playoffs and was for a lot of games this season as well.

Brouwer for Oshie.

Picking up Kempny for basically nothing.

Not re-signing Alzner who was really bad this season even when Weber was healthy.

Locking up Eller (no salary bump), Orlov and Kuzy long term.

Getting Gersich signed.

To be honest outside of exposing Schmidt instead of Marge or Burka, and one year too many on Orpik's contract the Caps have made a lot of nice moves in the GMBM era.

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I realize the Caps don't sign a lot of guys or make too many big trades but I was just going over some of the recent smart moves they have made and there have been a few.

Not re-signing Ward, he is a healthy scratch in the playoffs and was for a lot of games this season as well.

Brouwer for Oshie.

Picking up Kempny for basically nothing.

Not re-signing Alzner who was really bad this season even when Weber was healthy.

Locking up Eller (no salary bump), Orlov and Kuzy long term.

Getting Gersich signed.

To be honest outside of exposing Schmidt instead of Marge or Burka, and one year too many on Orpik's contract they Caps have made a lot of nice moves in the GMBM era.

i mean you cant really blame gmbm for that either, he gave you 24 goals and 34 assists last year

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
i mean you cant really blame gmbm for that either, he gave you 24 goals and 34 assists last year

We could still have Schmidt today if we had protected him instead of Johansson/Burakovsky/Wilson. I wouldn't like it if they had picked Wilson but Schmidt was super important to our blue line in the playoffs last year.

GMBM wrongly assumed that they would pick Grubauer.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
We could still have Schmidt today if we had protected him instead of Johansson/Burakovsky/Wilson. I wouldn't like it if they had picked Wilson but Schmidt was super important to our blue line in the playoffs last year.

GMBM wrongly assumed that they would pick Grubauer.

but you were also just gonna let a 24 goal scorer go for free too, basically saying there was no right answer

Reactions: Sam Spade

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
but you were also just gonna let a 24 goal scorer go for free too, basically saying there was no right answer

That's what happens when you have a stacked team like last year's Caps, but I think it would've been easier to sacrifice Johansson than Schmidt since we're thinner on the blue line.

Besides, we had to get rid of Johansson anyway to make room for Kuznetsov and Orlov. GMBM should've seen the need for cap space coming.

Reactions: calicapsfan

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Juuso Ikonen hockey statistics and profile at hockeydb.com

Ikonen is a nifty winger with excellent puck skills and hockey sense. He is a fantastic skater with speed and agility as well as the stickhandling to move the puck while on the move. Ikonen is primarily a playmaker and uses his solid passing game, creativity and skating to generate opportunities. His most obvious flaw is his small size and lack of strength and while his hard-working attitude compensates for some of the disadvantage, Ikonen has a long way to go before competing against North American talent. (Matias Strozyk, 2012)

Last edited:

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
What do you thinks gonna happen to Stephenson next year. Still play 2nd line wing or take beagles 4th line center spot. I think he will be too good to use in that 4th line till next year but are lines are kinda jammed

8-92-43
13/65 - 19- 77
13/65- 20- Fjallby
Gersich-18- ???

Or
8-92-43
18-19-77
13-20-65
Gersich-???-Fjallby

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Haven’t had a Finn for a long time. Last one I recall was some 6’4” supposed power forward in the making who never panned out and ended up getting traded to Carolina, IIRC.

Before that was Tikkanen.

I like Finns. Hard working lot who play good defensively, as a rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad