Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Connolly was benched in the playoffs last year and has been a non-factor (at best) this year. No idea how he and Burakovsky get the leash they do after repeatedly making terrible choices in the offensive zone. Oh, right.

Fire him into the sun and give is spot to Gersich or Stephenson.
Bura may make mistakes but when he's playing with confidence he is much more dangerous than Connolly. We need guys who can make something out of nothing.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Bura may make mistakes but when he's playing with confidence he is much more dangerous than Connolly. We need guys who can make something out of nothing.
Both Bura and Connolly are streaky players. Neither are great defensively but I do think Connolly is a smarter player than Burakovsky.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I will never understand the anti-Vrana crowd. Is it because Trotz doesn't like him much? I don't see any way he's not a big part of our immediate future. He's a threat to create something on every shift, has a quick shot, and his decision making is no worse than that of half the team. His stats are pretty impressive considering his minuscule ice time.
There is obviously trust issues there.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Both Bura and Connolly are streaky players. Neither are great defensively but I do think Connolly is a smarter player than Burakovsky.

And that's not saying much because Bura is one of the least aware hockey players I've seen that wasn't a pure plug. His talent vs hockey IQ ratio must be off the charts.

One thing Connolly has going for him is he's stronger on the puck and on the boards. But again, Bura is so bad at this it's not even a fair comparison.

I've seen Connolly make some blunders that would've gotten Vrana benched for the remainder of the playoffs. Including some horrible d-zone pizzas late in Game 5.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
And that's not saying much because Bura is one of the least aware hockey players I've seen that wasn't a pure plug. His talent vs hockey IQ ratio must be off the charts.

One thing Connolly has going for him is he's stronger on the puck and on the boards. But again, Bura is so bad at this it's not even a fair comparison.

I've seen Connolly make some blunders that would've gotten Vrana benched for the remainder of the playoffs. Including some horrible d-zone pizzas late in Game 5.
No argument from me. I like Vrana better than both Bura and Connolly. I think Vrana will developed into a pretty good player. I'd give up on the other 2 guys.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
We’ve gotta be thinking of trading Bura in the off season, right? $3m a year is a lot for a streaky, oft-injured player who’s struggled to establish himself as anything more than a third line scorer (who isn’t great on the power play, can’t PK, has no physicality, low hockey IQ, no two-way game...).

If you can trade him for pick(s) or prospect(s), that money goes to resigning Wilson and Carlson. It also keeps Vrana and Stephenson in the middle-9 and makes it more likely guys like Boyd and Gersich get playing time next season.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Well... Lets wait. Maybe Bura comes in and destroys Pens. He's middle-6 scoring winger with some potential and some warts. His salary is not that bad. He had a bad regular season this year but.. Situation could be viewed a bit differently in a month or so.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Bura has battled wrist injuries IIRC which you know has hurt. I see no point of selling him at a low right now. Wait a bit longer... it won't cost but 3M to see where this goes.

That all said I am just not convinced coming in rusty vs the Pens will reap instant rewards. While we need a good B6 I feel like Barry is just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks on 3 and 4. If we want to beat Pitt at their own game, sure lets get Bura/Vrana both into the B6.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
But ultimately one of Bura / Connolly could be traded (both being at low cost now) while Vrana and Stephenson cement their places on the roster.

Don't forget Mojo is getting to the UFA in a season. A natural successor of Chimera on 3LW!!!

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Well... Lets wait. Maybe Bura comes in and destroys Pens. He's middle-6 scoring winger with some potential and some warts. His salary is not that bad. He had a bad regular season this year but.. Situation could be viewed a bit differently in a month or so.
You think his salary isn't bad?

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I think Connolly has played well, if you're stat watching it's easy to say he's been bad but he was involved in creating a lot of scoring chances and I don't recall him being a particular defensive liability. Connolly's big knock is that he nor his line mates are particularly great at finishing these chances. At the risk of contradicting myself from a few days ago, I think we need Connolly because he crashes the net, we need more diverse styles, to consolidate our game into being "only speed and finesse" based is just as bad as when we went all in on heavy or all in on defense. Let's not go all in on anything. The only guy I'd scratch in favor of Gerisch or Bura is Chiasson, he's been the invisible man on the ice.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd shop Burakovsky at least but not necessarily move him. If they can get an ideal return, sure. If not, they ought to be able to manage it. So much hinges on what they do at head coach and how the rest of the post-season plays out but for now that's my take. Grubauer is the one that needs to be moved out due to timing and asset management. It needs to happen whether they ultimately go with fast-tracking Samsonov midway through next season or go with a cheap vet for the time being. Orpik's standing could be a little more up in the air the way he's played on the PK but Pittsburgh is going to be a different beast. It won't be nearly as easy for him to block shots given their puck movement and hockey sense generally. It's going to be a much more difficult series in every facet.

Agree that Chiasson is the weakest fit given his skating. He's who I'd take out for Burakovsky, with him back on the third line with Eller and one of DSP/Connolly (likely Connolly) going to the fourth-line to add another element of scoring to that group. I don't doubt Chiasson does play and replaces one of those players due to depth PK ability and Grind.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think Connolly has played well, if you're stat watching it's easy to say he's been bad but he was involved in creating a lot of scoring chances and I don't recall him being a particular defensive liability. Connolly's big knock is that he nor his line mates are particularly great at finishing these chances. At the risk of contradicting myself from a few days ago, I think we need Connolly because he crashes the net, we need more diverse styles, to consolidate our game into being "only speed and finesse" based is just as bad as when we went all in on heavy or all in on defense. Let's not go all in on anything. The only guy I'd scratch in favor of Gerisch or Bura is Chiasson, he's been the invisible man on the ice.

That’s a stretch....and points have nothing to do with it. At his best he’s defensively reliable and pots some timely goals. I give him a 5/10 for the series. Some ok to good, some not so good games.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
That’s a stretch....and points have nothing to do with it. At his best he’s defensively reliable and pots some timely goals. I give him a 5/10 for the series. Some ok to good, some not so good games.
He and his line's net crashing is why we won game 3, we have very few guys willing to hang and bang in the crease like that.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
His and his lines net crashing is why we won game 3, we have very few guys willing to hang and bang in the crease like that.

He himself really had very few good moments overall as I remember the games. I did say he was OK to good in some games. Overall, I can’t rate him as being good in the series. He brings nothing for too many shifts.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
It isn't, really. 7/10 at least on Connolly, maybe an 8. He was bringing the right game to the playoffs and was something of a leader in the bottom 6, a good reminder for the whole team that good things happen when you keep it simple and make quick decisions with the puck. Didn't back down or bow out of post-whistle action, you could count on that line to go out and perform.

I'm not seeing what you saw.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Did I miss a round of happy pills being handed out? Lol...

If Connolly and his line plays like they did in round 1, I see things going bad next series. I think 10 was average. Agree to disagree.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
While I appreciate the tough guy act post whistle in the playoffs, I am still laughing inside at Conno. He is trying to be tougher to play against, draw a PP, whatever. All good stuff, but it's obviously not him. He hit the switch and is trying to bring more to his game.

He just needs to be fed one timers, over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad