Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Miss the playoffs for 6 straight years and picking first last draft is a recipe

It seems like they also pulled off some bold moves, and tried new coaches. Maybe there is more in play than just blindly tanking.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It seems like they also pulled off some bold moves, and tried new coaches. Maybe there is more in play than just blindly tanking.

Who said anything about tanking? They sucked. They hired a coach that they had a previous relationship with. Not sure at all what your thinking on Hynes. He worked for Shero at Scranton. Asst for Reirden. Shero hired him as his first coach at NJ. Hiring him was a pretty typical choice

Last edited:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I was thinking about this the other day, and it kinda comes up with the comments about potential moves and what not, but does anyone miss Mojo? I legitimatly can't think of a single time this year I've thought "man, I wish we had him." or even think of where I'd want him to slot in right now. I'm not saying it wasn't an awful deal, but it certainly wasn't a death knell.

Hell, the only place I'd really want him is on the 3rd line with Eller instead of DSP and with or without Dre.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
No one misses MJ, but I still think it was a solid move for Jersey. He was a soft perimeter player that would venture close to the net on occasion. I would like to see his non PP stats from his time here. He always seemed to flub his biggest shot of the year, that one goal that one time aside.

To me it came down to Oshie or MJ, and we chose the blood sweat and tears full effort player instead. I support the move.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Well, regarding hand-wringing, I think it's not a constructive way to characterize an argument -- I'll leave it at that.

As to the main point... it's pretty simple:
- Caps can't have any success without an effective bottom-6
- right now, the bottom-6 is basically in disarray (except for Eller, who brings a factor of stability).
- Trotz seems to have no clue as far as what to do about it -- wrinkles are not gonna help if the lines are haphazard. Yes, it's possible that he'll stumble into an effective (or even simply a potentially effective) lineup by chance, e.g. if injuries force his hand.
- if anything, Trotz seems likely to go more conservative in a pinch, meaning featuring low-risk/low-reward players that simply get outskated/outclassed by top teams.

That's just where the Caps are, IMO. Would you disagree? Do you think Trotz has a good bottom-6 blueprint for the Pens? If you do, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on what that might be. Honest questions.

I guess we have a different view of hand wringing. I see it as worrying...and I see a lot of worrying in this thread. Worrying = concern over what might happen. Isn’t that what everyone is doing, considering nothing *has actually* happened yet? That’s my point.

Far as bottom 6 for the playoffs...I see it as what he did versus the Pens last week, as I stated. That may be his blueprint. And it really subsisted of the players he has used most, this season.

13-20-25
18-83-10

Probably swap 25 and 10 during the game....but that’s it. Personally, I’d like to see Gersich in for DSP or perhaps Connolly. And I’m guessing that could easily happen depending on results and of course injuries.

I don’t see it as disarray at all. He’s trying as many things as he can before it all starts. Isn’t that what we’ve all been clamoring for? Sure, maybe he hasn’t tried all the combos that (insert given posters name here) likes, but he’s tried a lot.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Lemme make it clear: if Holtby plays bad in that game, the starter for the playoffs will be Grubauer and Holtby is legit done for this season. Therefore the question about his future on Caps pops up. I'd definitely would try to trade him.

I doubt it. Devils game or no Devils game. I fully expect to see Holtby at some point in the playoffs. And I don’t mean due to injury. Both G’s will have short leashes. That’s not a bad thing.

I’m not against trading Holtby....at all. They have other needs for that 6m salary slot, frankly. Grubauer has proven to be a very good goalie, and I fully expect Samsanov to be with the program next year. Probably as lead G in a Hershey, at least to start.

But Holtby’s game against the Devils has nothing to do with it. Holtby could play more games in the playoffs, while leading the team beyond the 2nd round....and I’d still think trading him would make sense. That’s where I sit.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Larionov said Samsonov is ready to sign with Washington. Literally said he is ready to fly overseas and sign a contract. Metallurg is in the past for him.

No 36 years old bankers in the DC area? Had to sign goalie from Russia?!

Good news.

Summer will be time to clear the pipeline ... playoff performance will determine whether it's Gruby or Holtby who goes. I'm guessing the bar for Gruby will be somewhat higher. Also expect he will do fine. How will Holtby perform if he senses that a change might be coming? More pressure at a time of year when he's not always been as good as he can be.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Larionov said Samsonov is ready to sign with Washington. Literally said he is ready to fly overseas and sign a contract. Metallurg is in the past for him.

No 36 years old bankers in the DC area? Had to sign goalie from Russia?!

good. As predicted. GMBM continues to have a really strong season. Now we just need to settle the Carlson contract...and then Wilson to a lesser degree.

That will allow team to move on Orpik and the G situation, to create room for a quality addition somewhere.

Reactions: calicapsfan

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
It’s funny all this talk about Jay Beagle. Every year we have playoff games when the team comes out looking scared and tentative. And they come up small in the big spot yet again. Are you guys expanding where you are going to pass the blame? Or is it just going to be the coach’s fault again?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
It’s funny all this talk about Jay Beagle. Every year we have playoff games when the team comes out looking scared and tentative. And they come up small in the big spot yet again. Are you guys expanding where you are going to pass the blame? Or is it just going to be the coach’s fault again?
Serious question. Are you ever happy? Take a deep breath bud it will all be okay

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

Yes. It will get expanded.

Mr Gone is now squarely on the "blame" radar. So be forewarned. Strap up and please enjoy the ride.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Absolutely miss MJ90 for his zone entries and esp. taking his defensive responsibilities seriously; don't miss his inconsistent scoring and the "Marge" soft factor

No one misses MJ, but I still think it was a solid move for Jersey. He was a soft perimeter player that would venture close to the net on occasion. I would like to see his non PP stats from his time here. He always seemed to flub his biggest shot of the year, that one goal that one time aside.

To me it came down to Oshie or MJ, and we chose the blood sweat and tears full effort player instead. I support the move.

He was a whipping post here. While people are *****ing and crying about how Burt and Vrana are doing next to nothing, you sure you wouldn't rather be able to plug 90 into one of those spots?
//...

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
He was a whipping post here. While people are *****ing and crying about how Burt and Vrana are doing next to nothing, you sure you wouldn't rather be able to plug 90 into one of those spots?

I don't see people saying they miss JDub, but they do.

yeah but....its a cap world. We add MJ, we lose Orlov. Or something to that effect

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
yeah but....its a cap world. We add MJ, we lose Orlov. Or something to that effect

What does the Cap have to do with it? The comment was that nobody misses Johansson. It wasn't that nobody would rather have Johansson than Orlov or Grubauer.

Do I wish there had been cap space to keep him instead of having to rely on Vrana? Hell yes. Do you understand why they traded him? Sure

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
What does the Cap have to do with it? The comment was that nobody misses Johansson. It wasn't that nobody would rather have Johansson than Orlov or Grubauer.

Do I wish there had been cap space to keep him instead of having to rely on Vrana? Hell yes. Do you understand why they traded him? Sure

Well, duh? Of course we miss last years team.

I think its more like "nobody misses MJ since we had to let some people go".

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Well, duh? Of course we miss last years team.

I think its more like "nobody misses MJ since we had to let some people go".

If you say so, brah. Nobody misses you means that nobody misses you. People have been pining over Nate Schmidt all year. They miss him.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
If you say so, brah. Nobody misses you means that nobody misses you. People have been pining over Nate Schmidt all year. They miss him.
Is that the same “brah” (come on....we aren’t 80’s Spicoli)?

Schmidt was someone we could’ve kept far more readily than MJ. 5m wasn’t tenable. Schmidt and his 2.whatever was. MJ was gone no matter what, unless we dumped another 5m player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad