Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
You've refused to "engage" in debate and provide any reasonable evidence that suggest otherwise. So whereas you perceive me as making lazy claims, at the very least I've made claims and supported them with my evidence whereas you simply go "Nah, that's not true."

I’m saying it’s not true with regards to the discussion at hand, why Vrana has been bench now, and at various times in the year.

You’ve got nothing to stand on for this decision if Euro-bias is all you’ve got, and that’s all that’s been discussed, not some non-Euro HF kids who hate on Euros all the time. Yes, Euro haters are a thing, just not in this discussion about Vrana being benched.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
You’re reading what you want in people’s posts

Hmmmm.....

What are Washingtons prospect needs?

Skilled Canadian forwards lol...

I’d settle for North American even. ;)

Explain to me how I'm misreading this as perceiving players from different nationalities play different styles of hockey?

And we’re back to my original point. You’re like looking at a stat sheet judging a lineup move when you only have part of the information that goes into lineup decisions.

Sooooo... you've got nothing.

You've made no claims or given no evidence beyond "my eyeballs".

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Hmmmm.....

Explain to me how I'm misreading this as perceiving players from different nationalities play different styles of hockey?

Sooooo... you've got nothing.

You've made no claims or given no evidence beyond "my eyeballs".

You’re just rambling at this point. Save yourself the embarrassment.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
You’re just rambling at this point. Save yourself the embarrassment.

You literally just made a post about how little you think of nationality... three pages after you specifically requested we seek prospects from certain regions of the world. I really think I'm okay in terms of embarassment.

Seriously though, every time I use evidence to refute a point you've made I'm apparently either rambling, reading into things, or not qualified. The points I make are never acknowledged.

I'd really stop if you could simply just simply answer why you think Vrana is defensively bad.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
Thank you. This 10000000%.

Citizenship ranks behind underwear color for me.
I don't think anyone would claim that people are explicitly basing their reasoning on or motivated by nationality. The whole idea is that "analyzing a player's game" in specifics can sometimes, unintentionally, be biased by factors like that, because we've come to associate different things with different countries. It can be biased by tons of other factors too, and obviously if you're trying to make sure your conclusions are accurate and in good faith you want to be mindful of it.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Not surprising.
Eh there had been some rumblings but I agree it would take probably one more year of this production to see Q go.

I honestly think that CHI really over performed in the last few years and that weirdly hurt Q. After their dynasty run it was expected that they'd crash and burn, what happened was more of a gradual fall from grace and that probably fooled people. There's really no reason that team should have been very good even last year given the salary cap that team had, the age of their players, and apparent off ice issues.

They're a classic example of over performing and skewing the perception of what you really are.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Eh there had been some rumblings but I agree it would take probably one more year of this production to see Q go.

I honestly think that CHI really over performed in the last few years and that weirdly hurt Q. After their dynasty run it was expected that they'd crash and burn, what happened was more of a gradual fall from grace and that probably fooled people. There's really no reason that team should have been very good even last year given the salary cap that team had, the age of their players, and apparent off ice issues.

They're a classic example of over performing and skewing the perception of what you really are.
Agree. But they'll get a high pick in a deep draft and retool. They're still saddled with some killer contracts but who knows how those guys will perform in coming years? I mean, look at the resurgent season Dustin Brown is having.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Agree. But they'll get a high pick in a deep draft and retool. They're still saddled with some killer contracts but who knows how those guys will perform in coming years? I mean, look at the resurgent season Dustin Brown is having.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they told him he was a buyout candidate this summer if he didn’t show more.

It’s like a contract year for him mentally lol. If I’m a Kings fan I’m furious after his last five years and would be hoping he’s moved this summer.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Vrana has the best goals/60 at 5v5 of any Capital in the last 20 games. DSP has 0 points of any type in his last 20 games, and more amazingly hasn’t even been on the ice for a single goal for in the past 20 games at 5v5 (and 6 against).

To put DSP in the lineup at all is questionable, but to put him in the top 9 over Vrana is criminal. DSP doesn’t even have the excuse Beagle does of taking the tough assignments: DSP is their 5th most frequently used PKing forward and has very average 5v5 deployment.

Vrana needs to be playing and building confidence and chemistry with his linemates going into the postseason, not sitting or playing timidly because he’s afraid one mistake will land him back in the press box.

And barring injury there is nothing in the next two games which should give Holtby the nod in Game 1, though I’m more confident in Trotz making the right decision with the goaltenders than I am with the skaters.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Says the guy who believes physicality holds no value. ;)

Me, I’d have Vrana in the lineup, but it’s easy to see why DSP is valued. Last two games had a playoff feel and he was impactful physically and IMO was a tone setter in a positive way.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I’d be a little more sympathetic to the tone-setting argument if Tom Wilson wasn’t already in the lineup.

And I’m not 100% against having DSP in the lineup, but he should never be seen outside of 4th line duties. Let him set the tone from there instead of on what should be a scoring line.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I just don't get the staff's love for Boyd. I don't see the physical tools to expect him to do anything in the playoffs. He's neither big nor fast. He tries but it's not nearly enough, particularly at the center position. At least Stephenson isn't sitting but neither should Vrana or Gersich in an essentially meaningless contest against a quality opponent. I'd really hope this isn't their actual playoff bottom six configuration but it's possible after Chiasson scored vs. STL and with the way they've talked about Boyd.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I just don't get the staff's love for Boyd. I don't see the physical tools to expect him to do anything in the playoffs. He's neither big nor fast. He tries but it's not nearly enough, particularly at the center position. At least Stephenson isn't sitting but neither should Vrana or Gersich in an essentially meaningless contest against a quality opponent. I'd really hope this isn't their actual playoff bottom six configuration but it's possible after Chiasson scored vs. STL and with the way they've talked about Boyd.

I would bet money this is their playoff lineup if they play the Blue Jackets, except for Boyd/Beagle. Trotz mentioned needing to be heavier if they played a bigger opponent. It's quintessential playoff Trotz... allow the other team's identity to dictate your lineup and strategy and hope for the best.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
If Grubauer is in net tonight against the Preds, then Holtby gets the net against the Devils. So that probably means stupid Trotz is gonna go with Holtby as his playoff starter!:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->