Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
lets hope they aren't down playing it. Wouldnt put it past this organization to tell us he will be back... but then he isnt. ha. but this is encouraging.

gogensgo

Mar 13, 2011
I was looking at the historical list of head coaches that have won the Cup and for the vast majority, they seem to all have one common trait. A lot of emotion and fire in their personalities that they apply to refs and their players that turns into positive results. I've always wondered about Barry's calm and non-panic approach he tries to instill in his team and his desire to always look professional but his teams seem to lack a lot of passion and fire especially in key moments. Maybe that personality transfers to the players and their approach on the ice. Have a look at the list and comment if you have other theories as to what does or doesn't work.

Stanley Cup All-time Champions and Finalists | NHL.com - News

Reactions: StrikingDistance

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
If the joint is OK that's the main result. Bone injury doesn't damage the wrist. Joint injury has much longer term to heal and the question if it's 100% after all. So we don't control it either way but a simple fracture is much much better than joint being damaged too.

Trotz's comments sound like Kuzy isn't that much injured. I hope he's ready to play in a week or so.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
lets hope they aren't down playing it. Wouldnt put it past this organization to tell us he will be back... but then he isnt. ha. but this is encouraging.

I think the Caps have been very forthright with injuries since Trotz got here.

I can't imagine being a Leafs fan with all the bullshit they spit out about injuries.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I was looking at the historical list of head coaches that have won the Cup and for the vast majority, they seem to all have one common trait. A lot of emotion and fire in their personalities that they apply to refs and their players that turns into positive results. I've always wondered about Barry's calm and non-panic approach he tries to instill in his team and his desire to always look professional but his teams seem to lack a lot of passion and fire especially in key moments. Maybe that personality transfers to the players and their approach on the ice. Have a look at the list and comment if you have other theories as to what does or doesn't work.

Stanley Cup All-time Champions and Finalists | NHL.com - News

I think there is something to being balanced. If your always on fire, the effect wears away. Tortorella seems to have this problem where guys just get tired of him, and if its constant berating your going to turn it off eventually. On the other hand there are times when you do need to light a fire and get guys going. Hockey is very streaky and emotional, and a good coach will recognize that and use it. Somebody who I think has done a great job of balancing that (at its evident by his record) is Joel Quenneville.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The last thing I wanted was a built in reason for Kuznetsov to come up small in the playoffs.

You're hopeless. He was one of their strongest performers in 2 out of 3 postseasons he's been a part of (and in the other it can be argued he didn't put up numbers due to poor puck luck) but keep on banging that stupid narrative drum of yours.

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
You're hopeless. He was one of their strongest performers in 2 out of 3 postseasons he's been a part of (and in the other it can be argued he didn't put up numbers due to poor puck luck) but keep on banging that stupid narrative drum of yours.

Your hero's point per game drops way off in the playoffs. Being a half point per game player is great is great if you are on the 3rd line. Never good enough for someone that should be leading the team. You say puck luck. I say his production drops so much from lack of space and being a fancy perimeter player. I hope for your sake you get to see at least one fancy twister pass before its over.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Your hero's point per game drops way off in the playoffs. Being a half point per game player is great is great if you are on the 3rd line. Never good enough for someone that should be leading the team. You say puck luck. I say his production drops so much from lack of space and being a fancy perimeter player. I hope for your sake you get to see at least one fancy twister pass before its over.
Regular season ppg vs playoff ppg:

Backstrom .98 vs .78
Ovechkin 1.12 vs .93
Oshie .69 vs .56
Kuznetsov .76 vs .49

Obviously Kuznetsov's ppg total drops the most in terms of total points, but that is mainly due to his bad 2015-16 postseason. Take that out and he's at .63 ppg in the playoffs. He had 10 points in 13 games last year, good for third on the team behind Backstrom and Oshie. It's easy to nitpick his production when he has one bad postseason out of the three he's played in.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

I really shouldn't humor you, but here is Evgeny "fancy perimeter player" Kuznetsov:

kuzneev92

Oh and he had 4 goals (all at even strength) and 3 assists against the Penguins in 7 games last postseason. But yeah he's why they keep losing.

Please just find another hobby, I beg of you. The Capitals have broken you and you need to find something that entertains you or brings you some level of personal fulfillment because this isn't it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Regular season ppg vs playoff ppg:

Backstrom .98 vs .78
Ovechkin 1.12 vs .93
Oshie .69 vs .56
Kuznetsov .76 vs .49

Obviously Kuznetsov's ppg total drops the most in terms of total points, but that is mainly due to his bad 2015-16 postseason. Take that out and he's at .63 ppg in the playoffs. He had 10 points in 13 games last year, good for third on the team behind Backstrom and Oshie. It's easy to nitpick his production when he has one bad postseason out of the three he's played in.

Oshie is .88 with the Caps in the postseason. Certainly a more revealing and meaningful stat line than lumping in his Blues time, for this discussion.

Last edited:
Reactions: txpd

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
It's easy to nitpick his production when he has one bad postseason out of the three he's played in.

It not nitpicking when you drop the worst and best season. You don't want to count the bad one but you need to have the good the focus point of your argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->