Speculation: Caps Hockey General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) -- 2017-18 Regular Season Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
D2d is the 2nd best possible outcome. Honestly it's probably the best you could hope for considering what happened on that play.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I just hope they’re not being coy with the injury given how close to the postseason it is. Kuznetsov has had consistency issues but in 2 of 3 postseasons he’s been impactful.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I just hope they’re not being coy with the injury given how close to the postseason it is. Kuznetsov has had consistency issues but in 2 of 3 postseasons he’s been impactful.

If he is not at the Caps next practice he is done for the season.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I doubt he'll play that many games during this regular season anymore.

We'll see how this plays out on the Playoffs. Hand injuries suck because certain guys take shots at the hands constantly when they know of lingering injuries. Giroux talked about these injuries few years back and said how much that changes your playing style when you have to protect your hand at all times and how it effectively kills your face-off ability for example, as well as takes away most of the power on your wrist shot. He had wrist -injury so it could be different than this, but either way.

What a shocker that this happened against a team like the Islanders.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
So what are the lines going to be, sans Kuznetsov? Stephenson certainly needs to be elevated to top 9. As a C?

Let’s assume 4th line is:
Boyd - Beagle -DSP

Top 9 could be:
Ovechkin - Eller/Stephenson - Wilson
Burakovsky - Backstrom - Oshie
Vrana - Eller/Stephenson - Chiasson

I wouldn’t break up that 2nd line...it was dominant. What makes sense? We still have Connolly too.

Or do you put Boyd at 4C and move Beagle up? Beags has been playing a lot better, so?

Lots of options.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
They should try Stephenson or Boyd as a top-9 C and hope either one catches fire. Jay Beagle is what he is, he doesn't really have the potential to be an effective top-9 C. This season he has propably been more deserving of a demotion rather than a promotion so far.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
So what are the lines going to be, sans Kuznetsov? Stephenson certainly needs to be elevated to top 9. As a C?

Let’s assume 4th line is:
Boyd - Beagle -DSP

Top 9 could be:
Ovechkin - Eller/Stephenson - Wilson
Burakovsky - Backstrom - Oshie
Vrana - Eller/Stephenson - Chiasson

I wouldn’t break up that 2nd line...it was dominant. What makes sense? We still have Connolly too.

Or do you put Boyd at 4C and move Beagle up? Beags has been playing a lot better, so?

Lots of options.
I think Boyd will be a scratch. I think if its short term, Stephenson plays in Kuzys spot. He played in Backstroke place earlier this season.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Thats a long time for a fracture to heal. Usually 4 to 6 weeks

One challenge of treating scaphoid fractures is their lengthy healing time. The peculiarity of its blood supply is the primary reason for this prolonged healing period. Whereas other fractures in the upper extremity require an average of 6 weeks, a scaphoid fracture requires an average of 12 weeks if treated immediately, and as long as 6 months if the diagnosis is delayed.

Scaphoid Fractures and Non-Union: Wrist Fractures and Treatment - HSS.edu

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Maybe the capologists and CBA experts here can chime in, but if Kuzy has something that's a little more than d2d wouldn't it make sense to LTIR him for the saved cap space which would allow a call-up and then he could be added to the playoff roster without penalty? Didn't the Blackhawks exploit that a few years ago?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Thats a long time for a fracture to heal. Usually 4 to 6 weeks
Scaphoid fractures can take longer to heal because the blood supply is poor.

That's it right here.

I had a scaphoid fracture years ago and the cast was off 5 weeks later. Maybe it should have been longer. Who knows with our medieval medical care. It was one of my more less severe injuries. The torn Achilles was the worst followed by an ACL

I had a cast for two months because the injury got worse before I got an x-ray. I hurt my wrist and I kept playing hockey for weeks, because I thought it was just a sprain. When I saw that my wrist was still swollen even after a month, I went to the doctor and he told me that I had a nasty fracture and that it probably got worse from playing injured. It almost required surgery.

All of that to say that some fractures in the wrist area can take longer to heal. Also, keep in mind I was 15, and you would expect a 15 year old to heal faster than a 25 year old guy like Kuzy.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
That's it right here.

I had a cast for two months because the injury got worse before I got an x-ray. I hurt my wrist and I kept playing hockey for weeks, because I thought it was just a sprain. When I saw that my wrist was still swollen even after a month, I went to the doctor and he told me that I had a nasty fracture and that it probably got worse from playing injured. It almost required surgery.

All of that to say that some fractures in the wrist area can take longer to heal. Also, keep in mind I was 15, and you would expect a 15 year old to heal faster than a 25 year old guy like Kuzy.
Ya you probably made it worse because you left it so long. I went in the next day to get mine fixed. I didnt need surgery either. I remember I had to ice it over night to get the swelling down before they could put the cast on.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Maybe the capologists and CBA experts here can chime in, but if Kuzy has something that's a little more than d2d wouldn't it make sense to LTIR him for the saved cap space which would allow a call-up and then he could be added to the playoff roster without penalty? Didn't the Blackhawks exploit that a few years ago?

IIRC Chicago exploited it by making acquisitions at the TDL which would have put them over the cap if Kane were active. By all reports Kane was ready to return well before the playoffs but they had to keep him on IR until the postseason (where there is no salary cap) in order to keep themselves cap compliant.

Washington doesn’t have anyone they are looking to add to the roster but can’t due to salary cap concerns so I’m not sure if there is an opportunity to exploit anything.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad