Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Blues, 8 PM

Discussion in 'Washington Capitals' started by twabby, Apr 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holtbyisms

Holtbyisms SY-STEM SY-STEM!!

Logistics
    Solid game, keep powering into the playoffs men.

#firetatertrotz

2. ovikovy817

ovikovy817 Registered User

When I saw Ovi down I was like ... can we just forfeit for the rest of the regular season please??
    After that was watching him the whole game, how he skates, how he reacts.
    I also liked STL Dmen when they had Ovi in front of them to block a shot, nobody tried to shoot the puck that could hurt Ovi again, they often went D to D pass, or a fake move than a wrister. :clap: but Parayko still a little pos, you don't take a slapshot with 5 seconds to go when you're down by 2 goals.

Nice W, maybe STL read caps hf boards and thought they'll beat washington easily lol.

I think 46 will be enough to win the rocket.
    Kuzya will be at least ppg this year (missed 3 games and have already 79 pts) Very good.
    Nicky 3 assists away from 50.

If both goalies play well in their last game, why not to continue to alternate them in the playoffs too?

VaCaps Fan and Eazy for Kuzy like this.
  3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Registered User

Because that's simply not how it is done sir.

If you look at Grubs and Holtby's career numbers against the Flyers, you can't start Grubs if that is our opponent 1st round.

Philipp Grubauer Career Splits | Hockey-Reference.com

Against the Pens, I go Grubs, not because Holtby's numbers are really bad but mentally Holtby is the Pens *****.

Braden Holtby Career Splits | Hockey-Reference.com

Jackets, Grubs numbers are slightly better but smaller sample size.

4. Midnight Judges

Midnight Judges Registered User

You gotta go with Grubauer regardless IMO. Holtby is looking a little better but still shaky. The huge difference in their stats over the past 3 Months is too much to disregard.

amjay13 and calicapsfan like this.
  5. VaCaps Fan

VaCaps Fan Registered User

Let’s go Caps, (been trapped in the Midwest without games for the last week)

6. AlexBrovechkin8

AlexBrovechkin8 Better luck next year

I actually feel that it will be different in my bones this year which means I'm addicted to this sport and to this team. Please, Hockey Gods, just one time, just one Ovie Cup in DC... I'll never ask for anything ever again.

I'll also say this year has blown away expectations in terms of enjoyment. It was pretty bleak there for a minute but I feel we've watched these guys become a team over the past few months. Really impressive what they've been able to do after losing so many core guys this summer... I mean, forget just on-ice talent, they lost a ton of leaders and well-respected cats in that locker room. They look galvanized right now.

7. Capsman

Capsman Registered User

Hell, just one ECF

8. StrikingDistance

StrikingDistance Registered User

Professional Professional
    Missed the game due to a funeral. Is there a clip of the Ovi fall? Watched the recap and they didn't show it.

9. ovikovy817

ovikovy817 Registered User

10. Devil Dancer

Devil Dancer Registered User Sponsor

No, not good enough.

11. maacoshark

maacoshark Registered User

If it was intention then it was actually a selfish play.

12. Sam Spade

They were up by two with 1:30 left, that is an ok time to be "selfish".

13. Sam Spade

I feel the same way I felt before the season, they are a little too slow for the top teams, not slow but slower than the top teams. That being said with a hot goalie ANYTHING can happen.

As to the bolded, can the myth that Ovechkin is not a leader, by the Canadian media sycophants, be shot down finally?

I think you are kidding but honestly do you think some of these little ***** boys that are playing in the NHL today **cough** Crosby **cough** get up from that fall and don't miss a shift?

This is exactly why I would never trade the years I've watched Ovechkin play for anything. The man plays as if he thinks he can't take a game off. As someone who went to work for 16 straight years without using a sick day, my respect for a player like him is enormous.

14. um

um Registered User

nothing
    I think they said on Sunday against the Pens Grubauer is 1st in the NHL in save % over the last 25 games with a .938 save %, and that was before almost shutting out the Pens.

I can't believe there is any debate as to who our starter should be, what does the guy have to do earn the starting role, or what does Holtby have to do to lose it.

15. Langway

Langway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think Gersich is gunning for Vrana's spot. If Gersich can manage to show well defensively and make effort plays in all three zones I can see him getting the G1 nod. I guess the other spot up for grabs is Connolly vs. Chiasson. Everyone else ought to be safe, assuming 77/83 are good to go.

16. Skrudland2Lomakin

Skrudland2Lomakin Registered User

I think if Gersich is in at the expense of Vrana we've made a critical error.

At this point I think I'd just slot him as the next man up for if/when we see an injury/suspension.

Our depth this year is pretty fantastic when you consider the guys we're going to be healthy scratching.

Sam Spade likes this.
  17. AlexBrovechkin8

Unfortunately I get the same feeling and Vrana's lack of finish isn't helping his case as Gersich already appears to be better (or more engaged) defensively. Every time I see Vrana with a pizza I keep thinking that he's digging his own grave for the playoffs.

Trotz mentioned after last night's game that DSP and Chiasson are in direct competition with each other... I think he looks at it as Connolly/DSP/Chiasson for two spots and Vrana/Gersich/Stephenson for two spots. The only one I see as safe is Stephenson and he's probably a lock given his versatility at W/C and his PK abilities so it's Vrana vs Gersich one the left side. DSP looks to be edging himself ahead of Connolly and Chiasson on the right side.

I suppose a lot could depend on their opponent as well. If they draw Philadelphia or New Jersey I imagine we'll see more guys who can skate. If they draw Columbus I imagine Trotz goes heavy. Vrana really needs to score these last two games or I think he's eeating nachos G1.

18. CapitalsCupFantasy

CapitalsCupFantasy It’s Go Time!!

Devil’s Advocate, Caller of BS
    Too much crazy genius for Barry to try. Wouldn’t that mess with the opposition’s head though....lol..

19. CapitalsCupFantasy

CapitalsCupFantasy It’s Go Time!!

Devil’s Advocate, Caller of BS
    DSP’S physical presence is welcome in the postseason.

20. hockeykicker

hockeykicker Moderator

21. Midnight Judges

Midnight Judges Registered User

I don't know how you even evaluate Gersich. He hasn't had enough playing time to get a true sense. He's played hard, forechecked nicely, created takeaways, but he hasn't actually produced any points. His shots so far have been weak whereas Vrana has a very good shot.

IMO:

Chiasson > Connolly > DSP

Chiasson has been skating well, creating chances lately. Connolly is ice cold but DSP just plain sucks offensively.

Vrana > Gersich

Stephenson deserves a jersey.

22. Langway

Langway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DSP will stay in the lineup due to his physicality IMO. Trotz still likes that heavy game and he has that more than the other two. It's been noticeable lately. He doesn't belong anywhere but the fourth-line really but that has a bit more to do with Connolly than anyone else.

Overall, I think Trotz is willing to overlook missed scoring opportunities if he likes and trusts the rest of a player's game. Hence, why Gersich may be battling Vrana for a spot. If Vrana can't clean up his game there will be a temptation to go with Gersich provided he continues to play cleaner and make more hustle plays. The danger is they'll sit finishers over players they trust more all over the ice but they've also given these guys plenty of chances to show more life and battle harder so it's at least a healthy competition (and 10/13 do need to become more than just inconsistent finishers anyway).

23. um

um Registered User

nothing
    He does? it seems like all his goals come from his speed and around the net.

24. AlexBrovechkin8

Therein lies the rub. When it gets to crunch time Trotz goes with the safe lineup and we've seen the results of that strategy. In this case, 13 and 10 haven't done enough to change Trotz's mind when it comes to lineup deployment in the postseason. We shall see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.