Post-Game Talk: Caps and oilers (Stephenson vs Mcdavid)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Thanks. Yeah, shutting down McDavid and getting the 2pts is a good thing, just can't figure out what makes this team show up and why. How was Connolly?

At one point both Connolly and Chorney were the last two guys behind our own goal line, playing keep away from an opposing forchecker.....I thought to myself.....”I never want to see those two as our last line of defense EVER again”. Connolly looked bad, but after the layoff, understandable.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
I couldn't agree more. His strength is faceoffs but he couldn't win one last night. He wasn't very good in his defensive coverage either.
Why is Beagle having a tough start to the season? I haven't gotten any indications of him being injured, is it his linemates or is he just trying to overcompensate for our injured/inexperienced D? Beagle has always been the guy that led the way with his effort, is he being asked to do too much? Or just overthinking?

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Why is Beagle having a tough start to the season? I haven't gotten any indications of him being injured, is it his linemates or is he just trying to overcompensate for our injured/inexperienced D? Beagle has always been the guy that led the way with his effort, is he being asked to do too much? Or just overthinking?

Contract year pressure?

This is it for him, he gets a two/three year deal next season from someone or he becomes like all the other 4th liners that go from team to team on league minimums or PTO's.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Beagle played on a strong 4th line last year with consistent line mates all year, now he's playing with constantly changing teamates and one of them is usually an AHLer.

I'd like to have some stability on our 4th line, let them develop chemistry.

Connolly-Beagle-Chiasson seems obvious for now.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Beagle played on a strong 4th line last year with consistent line mates all year, now he's playing with constantly changing teamates and one of them is usually an AHLer.

It’s his individual play I’m seeing the issue with, not his line mates.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017

neither Connolly, nor Chiasson are suited for a 4th line role. I understanding easing Connolly back in, but he isn't gritty and defensive minded enough. As for Chiasson, I don't dislike the guy, he just doesn't bring enough of what this team needs. I agree about the stability, and whether it's Walker, Graovac, Connolly, O'Brien, or someone else, just find something that works and roll with it. And if nothing works, make changes.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
neither Connolly, nor Chiasson are suited for a 4th line role. I understanding easing Connolly back in, but he isn't gritty and defensive minded enough. As for Chiasson, I don't dislike the guy, he just doesn't bring enough of what this team needs. I agree about the stability, and whether it's Walker, Graovac, Connolly, O'Brien, or someone else, just find something that works and roll with it. And if nothing works, make changes.
Once Burakovsky is back I'm sure Smith pelly will be back on the 4th line. I'd probably use Chaisson as the other 4th line guy. And Connolly as 13th forward. Send Walker to Hershey where he belongs.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Contract year pressure?

This is it for him, he gets a two/three year deal next season from someone or he becomes like all the other 4th liners that go from team to team on league minimums or PTO's.
You could be right about the contract pressure, if he stays like this, do you think he should be moved? Let free after the seaaon? Re-signed?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It’s his individual play I’m seeing the issue with, not his line mates.

What is the role of this 4th line? Identity is key in this sport, support with your mates is key. How can you trust when your mates change often and with that its identity, He has 5pts. His faceoff % is over 60. I am not worried about him

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
What is the role of this 4th line? Identity is key in this sport, support with your mates is key. How can you trust when your mates change often and with that its identity, He has 5pts. His faceoff % is over 60. I am not worried about him

To play with energy, well defensively and not get pinned in your own end? Not worried either, he’s just been underwhelming. 33 to start next season. I’d re-sign him at a pay cut...maybe. Good thing for us he had his career year last season. He’s still on pace for ~20pts.....right in his wheelhouse the last few years. Face offs aside, I haven’t liked his game so far in a contract year.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Once Burakovsky is back I'm sure Smith pelly will be back on the 4th line. I'd probably use Chaisson as the other 4th line guy. And Connolly as 13th forward. Send Walker to Hershey where he belongs.

We dont need a 1.5m 13F. Gotta trade Connolly, and try and get a forward back that can actually add some value...a guy like Matt Hendricks (700k), or Torrey Mitchell (1.2m), or Benoit Pouliot (1.15m), or Lee Stempniak 50% retained (1.25m), or Blake Comeau 50% retained (1.2m). Thats just forwards....also look at a vet D.

Allow the acquisition to move Chiasson to 13th F, and Chorney to 8th D.

Edit-- How can we get Joel Ward back for this season? 50% retained would be 1.6375m. Much rather him in the top 12 than Connolly. It depends if San Jose continues to struggle. Would LOVE JW back for one more try at the ring. He's a playoff beast and would look great as 4RW or 3LW.

Imagine Ward - Eller - Wilson?
or DSP - Beagle - Ward?
Yes please

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Would anyone claim Walker? Probably not. I would rather see him than Chiasson, though, but that's just me, but like I said, give him a fair shot, and if he doesn't make it, then he doesn't make it. DSP is a strange cat, put up good numbers when he was first acquired by NJ, then last year, didn't do so well. Seems pretty versatile jn terms of where he can play, even if it is temporary in the top 6.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
[QthinkRidley Simon, post: 137853819, member: 424"]We dont need a 1.5m 13F. Gotta trade Connolly, and try and get a forward back that can actually add some value...a guy like Matt Hendricks (700k), or Torrey Mitchell (1.2m), or Benoit Pouliot (1.15m), or Lee Stempniak 50% retained (1.25m), or Blake Comeau 50% retained (1.2m). Thats just forwards....also look at a vet D.

Edit-- How can we get Joel Ward back for this season? 50% retained would be 1.6375m. Much rather him in the top 12 than Connolly. It depends if San Jose continues to struggle. Would LOVE JW back for one more try at the ring. He's a playoff beast and would look great as 4RW or 3LW.

or DSP - Beagle - Ward?
Yes please[/QUOTE]
I think he's an UFA at the end of this season, haven't been following the Sharks to know if they would move him. Would be nice, familiar with the system and alot of the players, and he's great along the boards.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
We dont need a 1.5m 13F. Gotta trade Connolly, and try and get a forward back that can actually add some value...a guy like Matt Hendricks (700k), or Torrey Mitchell (1.2m), or Benoit Pouliot (1.15m), or Lee Stempniak 50% retained (1.25m), or Blake Comeau 50% retained (1.2m). Thats just forwards....also look at a vet D.

or DSP - Beagle - Ward?
Yes please
Love to see us trade Connolly but I don't know if there would be any takers

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Kuzy I pm'd you years ok I have a west team and an east team.

I just know a ton about the Caps and their farm system because of location.

If the Caps win a Cup I will die a happy person, for all the long suffering Caps fans, but honestly I will be happiest for what it will do for Ovechkin's legacy.

It's true, I forgot you told me that before. It's ok, I still consider you as a Caps fan. You're one of us, you're just as upset as we are when this team loses. You're not just an Ovechkin fan, you like the team in general.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Thanks. Yeah, shutting down McDavid and getting the 2pts is a good thing, just can't figure out what makes this team show up and why. How was Connolly?

Connolly was bad but in the first game coming back from injury, he gets the benefit of the doubt. He better pick up his play quickly if he doesn't want to end on the waiver wire though.

The best takeaway from yesterday's game is that Holtby is going to contend for the Vezina again this year. I'd like to see him win the Vezina again.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
To play with energy, well defensively and not get pinned in your own end? Not worried either, he’s just been underwhelming. 33 to start next season. I’d re-sign him at a pay cut...maybe. Good thing for us he had his career year last season. He’s still on pace for ~20pts.....right in his wheelhouse the last few years. Face offs aside, I haven’t liked his game so far in a contract year.
Not every 4th line is an energy line. Winnik Beagle Wilson was far more than that. I would say many of Beagles recent groups have been less than that. Who has he played with again?

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Not every 4th line is an energy line. Winnik Beagle Wilson was far more than that. I would say many of Beagles recent groups have been less than that. Who has he played with again?

Are you seriously trying to reduce Beagle’s role in your own mind to justify how average he’s looked? Just stop already. Energy means energy, not goonery and it was only one thing I said.

If you think he’s playing well, we’ll just agree to disagree.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Are you seriously trying to reduce Beagle’s role in your own mind to justify how average he’s looked? Just stop already. Energy means energy, not goonery and it was only one thing I said.

If you think he’s playing well, we’ll just agree to disagree.
Reducing his role? You tell me, is he getting the same quality of ice time with walker or o brian? I bet what you will see will look diff with dvp there

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Connolly was bad but in the first game coming back from injury, he gets the benefit of the doubt. He better pick up his play quickly if he doesn't want to end on the waiver wire though.

The best takeaway from yesterday's game is that Holtby is going to contend for the Vezina again this year. I'd like to see him win the Vezina again.
I thought he should have won it last year. His numbers were right there with Bobrovskys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad