Proposal: CAPS and CANUCKS

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
offthebartoons.substack.com
Canucks need a vet center to help tutor Pettersson, Gaudette etc., Washington may need a shake up (if they're bounced) in their core leadership group.

To Vancouver:
- Nicklas Backstrom
- Madison Bowie

(Canucks get an ideal mentor for Pettersson and a solid D prospect)

To Washington:
- Bo Horvat
- Sam Gagner
- rights to Tryamkin

(Washington gets a gritty young centre, a vet centre to help on the PP and a Russian mountain who would love to play with his countryman)

Giving up Bo would be tough BUT the Canucks have a glut of forwards coming up and in 3 years Bo could end up being a $5M 3rd line centre on the team with Gaudette, Pettersson, Liepsic etc.

Thoughts?

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Canucks need a vet center to help tutor Pettersson, Gaudette etc., Washington may need a shake up (if they're bounced) in their core leadership group.

To Vancouver:
- Nicklas Backstrom
- Madison Bowie

(Canucks get an ideal mentor for Pettersson and a solid D prospect)

To Washington:
- Bo Horvat
- Sam Gagner
- rights to Tryamkin

(Washington gets a gritty young centre, a vet centre to help on the PP and a Russian mountain who would love to play with his countryman)

Giving up Bo would be tough BUT the Canucks have a glut of forwards coming up and in 3 years Bo could end up being a $5M 3rd line centre on the team with Gaudette, Pettersson, Liepsic etc.

Thoughts?

Trading a core piece for a 30 year old center as its main piece would be a BRUTAL move for Vancouver.

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Bowie is supposed to be a special player no? Also, the glut of forwards coming into this team means trades within that forward group will be coming. Why not do it now so you can take advantage of the team growing together?

For me Boeser changed the landscape for the Canucks... players on the team (Virtanen etc.) are already calling him 'the franchise' and there is every reason to believe he could be the Captain of this team.

I just don't want a 5M 3rd line centre in 3years as Horvat gets passed by greater talents within the Canucks system.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The reason for the Caps to do this is to shake the roster up. Yes, they trade an 1C who is a matchup defensive center also. In return the Caps get an expensive 3C and Sam Gagner?? Really?

Edit: Sorry. Forgot about Bowey. A special young d and a legit 1c two way player for a player you think isn't a lock to be a 2c, a piece of throwaway junk and the rights to someone?

You think Washington does this because they need to do something. So why not this?

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Bowie is supposed to be a special player no? Also, the glut of forwards coming into this team means trades within that forward group will be coming. Why not do it now so you can take advantage of the team growing together?

For me Boeser changed the landscape for the Canucks... players on the team (Virtanen etc.) are already calling him 'the franchise' and there is every reason to believe he could be the Captain of this team.

I just don't want a 5M 3rd line centre in 3years as Horvat gets passed by greater talents within the Canucks system.
Greater talents like who? Pettersson is projected to be a winger in the nhl and who knows if we ever move him back to C. Gaudette? You really think Gaudette will be better than Horvat? Let alone produce more than 50 points a year?. If anything Gaudette probably tops out as a 40-50 point guy if we are lucky. Horvat already is a 50-60 guy.

Reactions: brokenhole

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Greater talents like who? Pettersson is projected to be a winger in the nhl and who knows if we ever move him back to C. Gaudette? You really think Gaudette will be better than Horvat? Let alone produce more than 50 points a year?. If anything Gaudette probably tops out as a 40-59 point guy if we are lucky. Horvat already is a 50-60 guy.

I think Gaudette will push Horvat out of the 2nd line centre spot...

boogeybendo

Dec 18, 2017

No way Horvat is a 3rd line centre in 3 years... just move someone to the wing.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Stranger things have happened... and I'm not saying Bo is a 3rd line centre, I'm saying that's where he'll probably be on the Canucks in 3yrs.

I'm certain that if Backstrom was on the block, the caps could get a significantly better offer than this.

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
I think Gaudette will push Horvat out of the 2nd line centre spot...
Great for you to think that, doesn’t mean he actually will. And odds are against that happening. So what if Gaudette doesn’t pan out? What if Pettersson doesn’t ever shift to center? 3 years later you’re stuck with a 33 year old Center and nothing in the Pipeline.

But yes let’s trade our 2nd best foward who’s only what 22 for a 30 year old because Gaudette has a chance of becoming a 2nd line center. Mind you the chances are even less he becomes better than horvat who is a low end 1C.

For arguments sake let’s say Gaudette manages to become a 2nd line center but not as good as horvat. 5 years from now who’s our 1C? Not Backstrom because he’ll be around retirement time. Not horvat since you traded him. Pettersson? The guy who isn’t even a center in the shl besides the odd game?

Last edited:
Reactions: Index

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Great for you to think that, doesn’t mean he actually will. And odds are against that happening. So what if Gaudette doesn’t pan out? What if Pettersson doesn’t ever shift to center? 3 years later you’re stuck with a 33 year old Center and nothing in the Pipeline

Not sure the Canucks have 'nothing' and the 2018 draft is yet to come. I'd be OK with this centre depth for the Canucks in 3 years:

Pettersson
Gaudette
Backstrom
Liepsic/Gaunce/Cassels (other)

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Not sure the Canucks have 'nothing' and the 2018 draft is yet to come. I'd be OK with this centre depth for the Canucks in 3 years:

Pettersson
Gaudette
Backstrom
Liepsic/Gaunce/Cassels (other)
Again what makes you think Pettersson will be a center in the nhl if he can’t even be a center in the shl?

Gaunce has been played as a lw for years now. Leipsic isn’t a center and Cassels is never making the show barring a miracle. Hell come July 1st, there’s a strong possibility that Cassels won’t even be Canucks property! The fact you even mention Cassels as a nhl player shows that you’re unable to evaluate players

petrishriekandgo

Why not us?
Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver, BC
Again what makes you think Pettersson will be a center in the nhl if he can’t even be a center in the shl?

Gaunce has been played as a lw for years now. Leipsic isn’t a center and Cassels is never making the show barring a miracle. The fact you even mention Cassels as a nhl player shows that you’re unable to evaluate players

Sure, keep throwing stones at my Cassel... ;)

Pettersson will be a centre in the NHL in 3yrs, Gaudette played centre for a few games with the Canucks and will be one on the team in the near future. You're right Cassels may never make the big club because of foot speed issues but he's smart as hell. Who knows... prospects evolve, some evolve later than others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad