Confirmed with Link: Caps acquire Tyler Graovac for 2018 5th round pick

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Um. No. Not all. Graovac is more of a poor man's Winnik, only without defensive ability. He's a JAG.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
my point being, is that with a majority of people complaining about wilson's contract, caps could just go with graovac and save 1.5 mil

Except he doesn't play anything like Wilson. Stylistically, he's closer to Steckel than Wilson. He's faster than Steckel, but also much much worse at the faceoff circle. Nor does he kill penalties.

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
It's the principle of wasting picks (something they've done routinely for a while now) more than the actual draft pick sacrificed. It signifies more of the same from the front office in terms of development priorities.

The Penguins have made 1 first round pick since the 2012 Draft, 2014 Kasperi Kapanen who we all know the traded.

Don't hear anyone in Pittsburgh complaining about development though. Winning organizations put the young guys in the right spot to succeed or fail no matter their draft position. There are plenty of guys in Hershey capable of playing but Trotz has hindered them cause he hates young guys and with that will never put them in a position to develop and grow, so what is the point of even drafting them.:sarcasm:

Maybe this is GMBM calling for a new coach, "Trotz hates young guys, ok F it, no young guys ever see what happens Teddy"

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The Penguins are also good at developing talent in their minor league system. Go read my posts about this from a few days ago.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
He's in Washington just because of the expansion draft, then he'll play in Hershey. Can't understand why many people criticise GMBM.

A center who played 57 games with a very good NHL team last year, it only helps Hershey.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
He's in Washington just because of the expansion draft, then he'll play in Hershey. Can't understand why many people criticise GMBM.

A center who played 57 games with a very good NHL team last year, it only helps Hershey.

Haven't looked at the details but that was my thought. If it's just a Bears move that protects a player that's great. Not overjoyed that it's Eller based on his ghosting last season but redemption is an option. If it's a roster move it seems like a bad one that just muddies things at the expense of drafting and development. A step down (or two) from a Connolly type project.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think Eller under performed his contract. I would rather dangle him to George, in an attempt to keep Schmidt.

While we may have more depth at D than C in the org, paying even more for Eller is a bit of a head scratcher, especially after coming off a lack luster playoff performance.

Is there a worse vet faceoff center? I'd have moved him to wing long before the playoffs started, or moved Oshie with him to take draws.

Who George takes depends on what other teams offer up. Maybe the thinking was that Eller would have been one of THE top centers exposed. Outside of that one nice cycle play that one time, color me unimpressed.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Wasn't Eller one of the best in terms of corsi? (both regular season and playoffs) on the team, not NHL.

Need a corsi "idolizer" here :laugh: to remember me the numbers

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Maybe the thinking was that Eller would have been one of THE top centers exposed. Outside of that one nice cycle play that one time, color me unimpressed.
You never know but I find that hard to believe. With talk that Kruger to Vegas is in the bag there's a pretty fair one-for-one redundancy right there. It's possible Vegas ships excess centers out but they really shouldn't have a hard time finding 3Cs. It's top six talent that will be tough for them to net.

The Caps shouldn't be in the habit of shipping out picks (even a later one) for a Bears move, particularly one that requires waivers. He'd probably clear, just as he did twice last season, and it goes to show his actual value outside of expansion threshold purposes is pretty minimal.

If they believe he's a serious threat to make the team over the Hershey guys then they can't think very highly of them. They could use some size in the system up front outside of O'Brien and Malenstyn but I doubt there's any real strategy here at play beyond meeting the expansion threshold. They paid a fifth for a stiff that lets them maintain the illusion that Lars Eller is a prized commodity.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Wasn't Eller one of the best in terms of corsi? (both regular season and playoffs) on the team, not NHL.

Need a corsi "idolizer" here :laugh: to remember me the numbers

He was a dominant possession guy all year, he just can't finish for his life. It was very disappointing.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
You really think they are going to trade within the division?

7 of the Flyers' last 20 trades have been within the division.
I do think they'd rather trade Cousins in the division than lose him for nothing, which was the motivation behind this trade. But the real moral is showing the absurd difference in quality between what Arizona got (an actual NHLer and a decent goalie prospect) and what Washington got (an AHLer/far below replacement NHLer).

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
7 of the Flyers' last 20 trades have been within the division.
I do think they'd rather trade Cousins in the division than lose him for nothing, which was the motivation behind this trade. But the real moral is showing the absurd difference in quality between what Arizona got (an actual NHLer and a decent goalie prospect) and what Washington got (an AHLer/far below replacement NHLer).

going off of what vogel said a few days ago, its not like teams are lining up to do to expansion draft trades within conference. could have been the reason

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Even so, the vast difference in value shows how much the Caps overpaid for a scrub

a scrub? graovac scored more goals then cousins this year in the nhl in 8 less games

i mean heck, the last full year in ahl for both was 2014-15

graovac had 21 goals and 25 assists in 74 games
cousins had 22 goals 34 assists in 73 games

2013-14 (ahl)
graovac 64 games, 13 goals 12 assists
cousins 74 games, 11 goals 18 assists

lets not act like cousins is way better here

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Cousins isn't great, but he's a useful 4th liner. Graovac, despite scoring a whopping 7 goals, is simply not NHL quality. He's like David Steckel, if David Steckel was bad at faceoffs, couldn't kill penalties, and haemorrhaged shots against. Graovac is a liability when on the ice.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd take Nick Cousins over Tyler Graovac ten times out of ten. WTF GMBM
Cousins is RFA, though, so he wouldn't have immediately met the contract provisions. They could have signed him but, y'know, work. They also could have just gotten Connolly done and not had to make a trade to begin with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad