Post-Game Talk: Caps 3 Jets 2 We suck in OT edition

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
If Dano goes in then I think Wheeler would have to go back to center?
Maybe
O'Connor-Wheeler-Roslovic
Ehlers-Stastny-Laine
Perreault-Little-Armia
Dano-Copp-Tanev

We'll see tomorrow.
mathias can play centre. no roslovic on the 1st line or littile on 3rd with armia. why not replace 1 player instead of 4. not to mention he is better then dano.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Just more of the same that we have seen in this road trip and a couple of games leading into it. Jets lucky to get as many points out of this road trip as they have. Hopefully players getting healthy will help things.

Edit: I think it's safe to say that this roadtrip is the worst the Jets have played since that horrible first 15 games of the season. Yes I realize that some players were out but injuries were also hitting the Jets hard in January and they didn't look as bad as they have on this roadtrip.
Probably but they weren't missing 3 of their top 6, D including a top pairing guy and their #1 centre along with their #3 centre, all at the same time. Poolman and Morrow barely know each others names and their chucked out to play together.

They really miss Lowry and Trouba in a big way.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Not disagreeing with the others but Chiarot, has been more than adequate as of late. Most underrated of our D.
As a 7th D he's done as much as anyone can really ask. He just limits the Jets in what they are able to normally do with their regular top 6 playing. He has his limitations, that doesn't mean he's bad

BrokerD

Apr 13, 2012
Already looking forward to tomorrow, I have a feeling the Jets are going to shock everyone and win convincingly, 4-0

Until a minute left in the game and then the Preds will score 4 to tie it up and then win in overtime :sarcasm:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I have no idea what a penalty is anymore this year and it's just not Jets games its like every ref even the ones working together have different rule books.
The first Little penalty was B.S. McLlennan also blew it by claiming Little should have kept moving feet like Kusnetsov, except Kusnestsov also stopped moving his feet. That was a good back check.

Reactions: Evil Little

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Very good game from Buff, questionable pinch at the end, probably should have held back but trying to make a play to get the puck back Wheeler needs to do better in backing him up.

Chiarot was Chiarot, Not sure what he was looking at on the 2nd goal by Ovi, watched him whack it three times as Buff at on the ice. Good behind the goal line, weak gaps again.

I agree on Buff otherwise but I thought it was Buff and not Chiarot that didn't do nothing when Ovie shot, had a rebound and shot and had an another rebound and scores. I mean Buff should have thrown a hit towards Ovie before first or second rebound and not only try to play the puck. Also Laine could possibly have taken a penalty by holding Ovie or something on that play as he was so close.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I agree on Buff otherwise but I thought it was Buff and not Chiarot that didn't do nothing when Ovie shot, had a rebound and shot and had an another rebound and scores. I mean Buff should have thrown a hit towards Ovie before first or second rebound and not only try to play the puck. Also Laine could possibly have taken a penalty by holding Ovie or something on that play as he was so close.
Buff tried to play the puck and then was taken down. He was still trying to fight for the puck on his knees, as Ovie whacked away at it while Chiarot watched.

Edit.....and Laine apparently

Last edited:
Reactions: Jets 31

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Buff tried to play the puck and then was taken down. He was still trying to fight for the puck as Ovie whacked away at it while Chiarot watched.
laine admitted the only person on that play that was watching was him.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Fair enough and good on him. I guess he wasn't watching Chiarot then, it was plain as day. One of them should have done something.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
@Ducky10 , Didn’t Buff block the initial shot while going down and then lost track of the puck?

Are you saying Laine was referring to himself there? Just want to clarify your post. I do think it was a perfect time for Laine to collapse and help and he tried but didn’t do enough. It’s fine. It’s a lesson to learn that I’m sure he won’t forget.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Really?

They won the 5v5 Corsi tonight, and by the 3rd period were dominating the Caps in possession. Sure, they gave up some good scoring chances, but they are down 3 of their top 5 D and two of their top Cs.

All in all, I think this has been a successful road trip. The Jets have shown that they have good depth and a system that is resilient to lots of player change.

View attachment 104333

I am not talking about Corsi, I am talking about what I saw with my eyes in the quality of chances they gave up (and have been giving up this entire road trip).

Probably but they weren't missing 3 of their top 6, D including a top pairing guy and their #1 centre along with their #3 centre, all at the same time. Poolman and Morrow barely know each others names and their chucked out to play together.

They really miss Lowry and Trouba in a big way.

I am hoping that returning to health will fix these issues. I wanna see the Jets of 1 month ago back.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
The first Little penalty was B.S. McLlennan also blew it by claiming Little should have kept moving feet like Kusnetsov, except Kusnestsov also stopped moving his feet. That was a good back check.

Is it just me, or does this guy seem way off at times? Like he made a comment about Ovi playing in an era with tons of hooking and holding and yet didn’t Ovi come into the league right when they were calling EVERYTHING a penalty?

Botha calls on Little had him in disbelief, especially the one in OT. Call nothing in the 3rd yet first chance they get, boom! Penalty. Seemed really sketchy with that timing. Of course this is what happens when the standard changes on the fly as the season goes on.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I am not talking about Corsi, I am talking about what I saw with my eyes in the quality of chances they gave up (and have been giving up this entire road trip).

I am hoping that returning to health will fix these issues. I wanna see the Jets of 1 month ago back.

I’m sure it will JetsFan815. Especially having Enstrom back which should help our transition game immensely. Missing a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd pairing defenseman(on a contender no less) can really hurt.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Also, as someone who watched the game on delay and skipped through the period and faceoff breaks, the time taken for puck drops was absolutely ridiculous tonight. Usually from the point the whistle being blown to when the puck is dropped it usually takes 18-20 seconds, in this game they were routinely taking 30 seconds+, even during some icing calls. The refs need to keep the game moving at a decent clip. 20 seconds should be the absolute maximum to drop the puck after a whistle.

I know some will think this is complaining for the sake of complaining but this kind of stuff really affects the flow of the game, I would have been super annoyed if I was watching live.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
That's on Maurice. Too much Wheeler in OT... yet again. Same old, same old, OT deal...
With a little bit more awareness and hustle, Wheeler could have easily stopped that break away. Instead, he almost looked like he was coasting back. He often looks gassed in OT, playing way too long shifts, and it constantly bites him and the team in the ass. BTW, Little should have been stapled to the bench after that moronic slashing penalty. This one is on the vets and the coach. Helle, Laine and a few more deserved better for their effort tonight.

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018
That penalty will get called all day nowadays. Whenever you reach with your stick in the hands area it will be a penalty.
Little lost body position and therefore had to try to tie up his stick.

Reactions: Scheifelaine

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
freaking love Chariot, he is my favourite D on the team. would take him over Buff anyday
Ya ok , you take Charoit over Buff , Buff has been very good since Trouba got hurt and now you jump all over him when it was Wheeler's mistake . It's like people just can't wait for any opportunity to bash Buff . :shakehead

Wizard204

Feb 14, 2018
There are others, those were just from tonight's game, which is what this thread is about.
Yes I think I know what this thread is about thanks, you don’t need to sound so condescending.

Why only put two lines with their Corsi stated, clearly there was an attempt to say one line played better over the other. Corsi shouldn’t be used as a primary source of evaluation, end of the day Little’s line produces zero goals and Stastny’s line produced two. Sure it might look great to have a good Corsi but if you can’t put the puck in the net then it is pointless.

Last edited:

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Both calls on Little had him in disbelief, especially the one in OT. Call nothing in the 3rd yet first chance they get, boom! Penalty. Seemed really sketchy with that timing. Of course this is what happens when the standard changes on the fly as the season goes on.
Maybe the refs thought Little embellished that slash in the Flyers game and were teaching him a lesson.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
I think Buff played a good game tonight. Even pinching in at the end was a smart move. Wheeler should have backed him up. If Buff got the puck in deep, Wheeler should have gone for a line change, if Buff loses, which he did, Wheeler would have been in position.

Anyways. We got a point.
Too bad that line changes in OT aren't really Wheeler's thing...

Reactions: ocdaddy and Jets 31

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad