Salary Cap: Capology 2021

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
See what the cost is at the ED. If it’s too high then circle back after the draft.

Teams will have lost players and some rebuilding teams may need to add salary and/or veterans. There could be the opportunity to trade him while not having to give up a ton or take back a poison pill.

If there’s nothing there then look at a buyout if we need the cap/roster space for other guys.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
You guys are thinking like this is still a developing team and futures are the cash cow. This team is no longer a developing team, but a contending team in its prime window for a cup. A team in that window has to prioritize cap space over futures so they can get as much talent the roster as possible. Paying a future, especially a pick that is years away from making the team, is much more preferable than wasting cap space during your window.

Pay Seattle a first if necessary to move Gardiner.
Not really. I'd rather have the 1st as ammo to get a cost-controlled player in a trade potentially. If you do that with the Gardiner buyout along with whatever other moves will be made in the offseason, I think it could work. We've got young assets we can plug into the lineup that will offset paying a tad over a million for a few years on a buyout.

I was one of the people that would have given up a 1st for the right deal at the deadline, especially this draft year, so I'm not all about hoarding it for the future.

Now, if they decide it's imperative to move him with a 1st, I'm not exactly worried over that either. I'm not convinced they will. If anything, I'd see more of a Darling for Reimer type deal. I also won't be shocked if they just keep him. But we'll see.

Reactions: Unsustainable

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
You guys are thinking like this is still a developing team and futures are the cash cow. This team is no longer a developing team, but a contending team in its prime window for a cup. A team in that window has to prioritize cap space over futures so they can get as much talent the roster as possible. Paying a future, especially a pick that is years away from making the team, is much more preferable than wasting cap space during your window.

Pay Seattle a first if necessary to move Gardiner.

I think they will approach things differently than other teams in their “window”. I think they value their high picks for sustainability more than anything else. They’ve shown a penchance for going through a slew of players via trade and ufa, but they’ve hoarded picks and prospects. I think they’re betting on striking gold regularly in the draft and being able to replace guys as they get too expensive with much cheaper players on ELCs. It’s risky, but seems to match up with their drafting style over the past few years. Moar picks = more chances to strike it rich.

I think they’d much rather pay Gardiner’s buyout (what, $1.4M or so for a few years?) versus attaching a late 1st to him to be rid of him, considering they paid $6M for a 1st just a few years ago.

The flat cap certainly complicates things, but I don’t see it as being as constrictive as we all think it may be. I think Hamilton walks and they end up replacing him with another guy making Pesce/Slavin $$$, more or less, and they end up with a little more cushion to re-sign a goalie or upgrade the forwards.

I don’t think that letting Hamilton walk is the right move, but I’d also be very nervous giving him $8M x 8. This offseason should be very entertaining

Last edited:

To Be Determined

Jun 22, 2006
admission time...

i was super pumped when we originally signed semin. looooooooved it. and then he went out and played like he had something to prove. it was awesome.

my girlfriend at the time (now wife) bought me my first "real" jersey. a semin 28 tropical storm black. so, so happy.

about a week later jr signed him to the extension. then later, the wrist injury. my joy killed that poor man's career.

i apologize to you all for what i put you through.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
admission time...

i was super pumped when we originally signed semin. looooooooved it. and then he went out and played like he had something to prove. it was awesome.

my girlfriend at the time (now wife) bought me my first "real" jersey. a semin 28 tropical storm black. so, so happy.

about a week later jr signed him to the extension. then later, the wrist injury. my joy killed that poor man's career.

I was always a huge Semin fan even in his Washington days. Loved him that first year with us. I won our family March Madness tourney that first year and my prize was a Semin jersey. Shame that it all went mostly downhill from there.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
admission time...

It is not often that one man's joy makes other men prematurely release Semin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad