Salary Cap: Capology 2013-14

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I have no problems with how Riley Nash is playing. He needs to play the rest of the season before a decision is made on him one way or another.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
i think mcbain is gone in the off season. dreger said we shopped him and got interest. mcbain, faulk, and murphy down the right side seems unrealistic. mcbain goes with bellemore and sangs fighting for a spot - or we pick someone else up there.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
so apparently, at least if the trade board thread is to be believed, we're on the hook for 900K of the Jussi salary next year, not the worst case scenario I was thinking but still pretty ****** return. Now have just shy of 5 million to cover 5 players, though only 2 actual roster holes, one of which will be filled by Riley Nash almost assuredly, and for a rather manageable price tag.

looking at the prospects list, I'll be stunned if Hofmann isn't signed, Mahalak could be another matter though. But that said, the only RFA I would bet on being back goalie wise is Muse, so they'll probably sign Mahalak and a college FA if they don't bring Murphy back.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Lindholm's basically a guranteed spot if he does well in camp, but this roster needs less McBain and more Sekera.

No doubt, I honestly wouldn't be surprised to hear that they've agreed to an ELC by the end of the month.

And yeah, missed that somehow, thought I had fixed that after the draft. :laugh:

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Dave I believe I read somewhere that salaries like Murphy's are actually lower than you've got listed. I think Murphy's actual cap hit for 2013-14 is $925,000. My understanding is that performance bonuses cannot be accurately calculated so they actually go against next year's cap. So that does give us almost $400,000 more flexibility, no?

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Dave I believe I read somewhere that salaries like Murphy's are actually lower than you've got listed. I think Murphy's actual cap hit for 2013-14 is $925,000. My understanding is that performance bonuses cannot be accurately calculated so they actually go against next year's cap. So that does give us almost $400,000 more flexibility, no?

Murphy and Faulk are on entry-level contracts which have an NHL salary, signing bonus, and performance bonuses that will count against next year's cap if they cannot fit in the 13-14 cap at the end of the year.

Faulk: $890K salary (including $90K signing bonus), $10K in performance bonus. $900K cap hit, so little difference.
Murphy: $925K salary (including $92.5K signing bonus), $450K in performance bonuses. $1.313M cap hit.

So that is a little more flexibility. But another question is what the Canes have as a payroll limit vs the cap limit for this year. The current payroll is 59.74 million with $550K buried in Charlotte (Peters.)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
added Boychuk and Tolchinsky, though I fully expect Tolchinsky to return to the OHL this season leading his contract to roll over by a year.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
so DaveG, how much cap space do you think they will have to spend on new players if the cap goes up as expected? rough estimate?

I think it's expected to be around 68.3 next season right now, and the good news is we're not really losing anyone that will be super expensive to re-sign.

Right now, I'd guess about 8 to 9 million. That's assuming Lokti takes somewhere around 800K (QO is ~760), Bellemore takes about 750K, Tlusty takes the QO (1.7), Gerbe about 150K over his QO at 750K, Hainsey takes 2.5, and someone from the minors (Boychuk? Terry?) up as the 13th forward

The two of those I'm least solid on for the numbers are Tlusty since he had that huge season two years back, and Hainsey since he's always been a PA hardliner and may be looking for a decent bit more. But 8 to 9 million to play around with, with only two roster holes (4th line LW and 3rd line RW). A trade of Cam would make it 14 to 15 to play around with.

I know he had a bad season but we should REALLY look hard at Setoguchi for the #3 RW spot, and probably could afford to upgrade our #4 dman with someone like Derek Morris if he's not too pricy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->