Capitals DC metro issue: UPD Exelon pays game 3 bill, metro will stay open til 12:30

yourbestfriend

May 28, 2010
Think of all the extra revenue the caps get from boxes, tickets, booze, food and merchandise.
100k/hr will be a drop in the bucket for them.

Reactions: Morrison

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Sad that this is even a question. It seems crazy to think that WMATA tries to pin this on the team given that they literally exist to provide the community service as needed by the community. The community will pay for the late service by buying tickets.

And it needs to be open on all the major routes. Uber isn't really an option for that many people. The vast majority of the fans needs to get back into deeper Virginia or Maryland. With the peak time price hikes on Uber..you're easily looking at 70 bucks out to Fairfax. (I've seen such prices after regular season games).

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
so for those of you that dont know, the main way to get to the capital one center is by taking the metro which goes right under the stadium. The problem is the metro closes at 11:30 with last train leaving around 10:45-10:55pm.

so with the 8pm (likely 8:15) start times, caps arena could be half empty by the time the third period is half way over just to ensure people can get a ride home. Cant even imagine what would happen for overtime

Metro is asking for one hundred thousand dollars from the caps per hour to keep it open.

so the question is, should they pay it or let fans use uber?

move the games to 5 or 6

sorry to be a prick here--but every team goes through this and in most cases it gets settled

Washington DC wants to have the Caps foot the bill for alleged overtime--

here is my comeback to that--then the caps get to keep the money spent on the subways that night.

for transparency I have a problem with the DC system--15 years ago I was there and the machines they used were not friendly with people who did not use it on a daily bases and IMO it was set up for people visiting the city to spend more for less. This is just me. I travel alot and the DC transit system had the worst self use machines I had ever seen

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
The Caps paid Alexander Ovechkin $10,000,000 in salary this year. That comes out to $121,951.22 per game over the regular season.

For the 2016-17 season, the Caps took in $68,000,000 in gate receipts. Rounding up to $70,000,000 for this season, that comes out to $1,707,317.07 per game for 41 games.

Washington Capitals gate receipts 2010-2017 | Statistic

All player and coaching salaries have been paid, so that expense is nonexistent in the postseason.

Out of the $1.7m extra per game they will make in gate receipts, in addition to monies from tv and advertising fees, parking, concessions, etc..., I think they can afford to pay $200-300k more per game for the playoffs to support their fans. After all, it’s only the equivalent of a few player salaries per game.

Sep 19, 2008
Cool

I was scared that I'd miss the train if it went into OT. Especially with these games starting at 8 PM instead of the typical 7. I might not get back until after midnight.

Hate 8 PM Caps games.

Sep 19, 2008
So...do most of the fans bus instead of drive? There's no other buses around the arena? Is this why the Easter Epic was half empty in 87? Why buy tickets in the first place if you try to get out early?

Nearly everyone rides the metro in because driving in the city is a nightmare and very expensive.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
Seriously, 11:00pm? Why so early.

I say make things simple and burn the entire corrupt city down along with the corrupt officials that the city belongs to.

Hold the games elsewhere.

Reactions: Pez68

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
The Caps paid Alexander Ovechkin $10,000,000 in salary this year. That comes out to $121,951.22 per game over the regular season.

For the 2016-17 season, the Caps took in $68,000,000 in gate receipts. Rounding up to $70,000,000 for this season, that comes out to $1,707,317.07 per game for 41 games.

Washington Capitals gate receipts 2010-2017 | Statistic

All player and coaching salaries have been paid, so that expense is nonexistent in the postseason.

Out of the $1.7m extra per game they will make in gate receipts, in addition to monies from tv and advertising fees, parking, concessions, etc..., I think they can afford to pay $200-300k more per game for the playoffs to support their fans. After all, it’s only the equivalent of a few player salaries per game.

right so the metro should get 100k per hour AND the price of tickets per person... because ?

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
People need to be more self reliant, or more cerebral about this.

My family had season tickets from 74 to the last lockout. Once they moved to DC I took Metro maybe 3 times. I live in Loudoun County (40 miles West of DC). One option, which I also regularly use for Nats games, is to drive to Arlington, Bethesda, or upper NW, and cab or Uber in and out.

Much less stressful and you are in control of where you are going and on your own schedule.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
People don't realise that teams have to go this far in the playoffs to make money. They won't pay that cause it would go against the reason they have gone this far in the first place. It would be better for them to forfeit the whole playoffs and don't play anymore than pay a 100, 000 an hour.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Why does the Metro shut so early? Where I live in the UK the Tube doesn't shut until 1/2 am and opens again around 4:30.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Why does the Metro shut so early? Where I live in the UK the Tube doesn't shut until 1/2 am and opens again around 4:30.

the metro has been under "construction" for years
they just asked for 650 million from the taxpayers to help them fix the metro

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Pretty brutal cash grab. Public transit is supposed to work for the people and catering to the large crowds that want to go to major events is part of that. We complain about the operation times of transit here in Vancouver, but at least it runs until 1am every day but Sunday and they add trains/run longer on some occasions that demand it. The Caps will probably cave, because it's easier and earns good will with fans but I'd love it if they spent the same money on another option for getting fans home (chartered buses, partnering with uber, etc), just out of spite

Reactions: CarolinaFlyerFan

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Because the Metro is shared by DC, Virginia, and Maryland, and there is always a pissing contest as to who pays for what, which leads to just a steady decline in the quality and quantity of service as a whole. They've been fighting for 30 years over this shit and the entire system just gets continually worse because of it.

Reactions: allevat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad