Post-Game Talk: Capitals vs Sabres 7pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I missed this game but I hear Oshie had another bad game. Not sure what's wrong with him.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Again, they need to add a vet D-man. ChorNess is an issue. Sure, they arent scoring, but they are also getting hemmed into their own zone a LOT, and thats on the D more than anything. A D that lost another player (Bowey) to injury, forcing a full helping of ChorNess, not just half a helping.

They are AHL D-men, plain and simple. We need another NHL D-man.
Any suggestions on how we get a veteran dman.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
When will Trotz realize that his offensive zone plan is a failure? Any decent scoring opportunity comes from creative play via turnovers and not from his set play with getting the puck down low. We are simply unable to sustain offensive zone pressure. It's quite embarrassing

Reactions: brachyrynchos

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
[QUOTEit's "notDkristich, post: 137679665, member: 186111"]When will Trotz realize that his offensive zone plan is a failure? Any decent scoring opportunity comes from creative play via turnovers and not from his set play with getting the puck down low. We are simply unable to sustain offensive zone pressure. It's quite embarrassing[/QUOTE]
Yeah, It's just going around and around the same circle. The mantra of "will over skill" has ended up on the back of the milk carton. If the result (victory) isn't there, the effort should be, where is Trotz's reputation as a coach that makes his team try hard? They aren't even trying at this point, and to me the players are zoning him out more and more. Trotz sytem is outdated, and is all about prevention, you have to outscore the other team, that's how you win.
And to single out Vrana, he's still getting his feet wet, but Trotz holds him & the kids accountable for their defensive game, even though the 2 core vets he plays with dont play any better, and I don't think he should carry the defensive burden for his teammates when they should know better. I mean, if you were Shane Gersich, wold you want to sign here with the current system and prevailing stench?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Yeah, It's just going around and around the same circle. The mantra of "will over skill" has ended up on the back of the milk carton. If the result (victory) isn't there, the effort should be, where is Trotz's reputation as a coach that makes his team try hard? They aren't even trying at this point, and to me the players are zoning him out more and more. Trotz sytem is outdated, and is all about prevention, you have to outscore the other team, that's how you win.
And to single out Vrana, he's still getting his feet wet, but Trotz holds him & the kids accountable for their defensive game, even though the 2 core vets he plays with dont play any better, and I don't think he should carry the defensive burden for his teammates when they should know better. I mean, if you were Shane Gersich, wold you want to sign here with the current system and prevailing stench?

Trotz won't be here next year. His contract is expiring and GMBM should look for a new coach this summer. Hopefully someone who has a positive experience with young players. Gersich is struggling at the moment, only 6 points in 10 games. He's got a long way to go before making it to the NHL.

I agree with you that both Trotz and his "Will over skill" mantra are outdated. I never liked the "will over skill" thing anyway. It never made sense to me.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Eazy for Kuzy post: 137681127 said:
Trotz won't be here next year. His contract is expiring and GMBM should look for a new coach this summer. Hopefully someone who has a positive experience with young players. Gersich is struggling at the moment, only 6 points in 10 games. He's got a long way to go before making it to the NHL.

I agree with you that both Trotz and his "Will over skill" mantra are outdated. I never liked the "will over skill" thing anyway. It never made sense to me.
I agree with you wholeheartedly that they should bring in a coach that is good with the kids, and also that Gersich is far off, but if you were him, would you sign? Trotz may be brought back, he might not, just like Mann being promoted, and who knows what Gersich wants best for himself, too. He might think he's closer to playing than you do and wants to play his game where there's a better chance of him to play his game. I just don't see Washington as a desirable place with the way things are going, especially for offensive players, and the last two games further revealed that. I give Buffalo credit for blocking alot of shots, but the effort and enthusiasm wasn't there,much like the other night against Arizona, and Trotz stll didn't adjust. The team doesn't look comfortable with the puck, and I think alot of that is on Trotz, and no disrespect to the Coyotes and Sabres but they both stink, and we struggled against both of them, now we play the Pens in 2 days, and it'll just be more of the same, except worst if things don't change. Cheers!

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
How has Stephenson been since his callup? His stat line looks good, it how has his actual play been? Think he can stick with the team?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
How has Stephenson been since his callup? His stat line looks good, it how has his actual play been? Think he can stick with the team?

Stephenson has been surprisingly good. He's going to push Walker and O'Brien out of the lineup, but with Burakovsky, Connolly and Graovac returning, I'm not sure he's going to stick with the team. GMBM will have to make a roster move to sort this out. That's without taking into account Niskanen returning from LTIR and the Caps losing the LTIR relief.

I'd put Ness and O'Brien on waivers for sure, and then maybe make a trade to unload a contract. The Caps are deep in cap hell on that one.

I agree with you wholeheartedly that they should bring in a coach that is good with the kids, and also that Gersich is far off, but if you were him, would you sign? Trotz may be brought back, he might not, just like Mann being promoted, and who knows what Gersich wants best for himself, too. He might think he's closer to playing than you do and wants to play his game where there's a better chance of him to play his game. I just don't see Washington as a desirable place with the way things are going, especially for offensive players, and the last two games further revealed that. I give Buffalo credit for blocking alot of shots, but the effort and enthusiasm wasn't there,much like the other night against Arizona, and Trotz stll didn't adjust. The team doesn't look comfortable with the puck, and I think alot of that is on Trotz, and no disrespect to the Coyotes and Sabres but they both stink, and we struggled against both of them, now we play the Pens in 2 days, and it'll just be more of the same, except worst if things don't change. Cheers!

The Sabres and Coyotes stink overall but they have talented forwards. Eichel abused our defense yesterday, I recall him undressing Orlov, Orpik and Carlson on separate occasions.

I hope Mann doesn't get promoted, he's similar to Trotz. Not that Trotz is a bad coach, he's just not what we need moving forward.

As for Gersich, I could see him pull a Thomas Di Pauli and sign with the Penguins :laugh:

Reactions: PG Canuck

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Stephenson-Eller-Wilson a very good 3rd line for us. Unfortunately Trotz will change it when the injured guys come back

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Stephenson has been surprisingly good. He's going to push Walker and O'Brien out of the lineup, but with Burakovsky, Connolly and Graovac returning, I'm not sure he's going to stick with the team. GMBM will have to make a roster move to sort this out. That's without taking into account Niskanen returning from LTIR and the Caps losing the LTIR relief.

I'd put Ness and O'Brien on waivers for sure, and then maybe make a trade to unload a contract. The Caps are deep in cap hell on that one.

The Sabres and Coyotes stink overall but they have talented forwards. Eichel abused our defense yesterday, I recall him undressing Orlov, Orpik and Carlson on separate occasions.

I hope Mann doesn't get promoted, he's similar to Trotz. Not that Trotz is a bad coach, he's just not what we need moving forward.

As for Gersich, I could see him pull a Thomas Di Pauli and sign with the Penguins :laugh:

Kind of funny that all the hype around di Pauli and he has done absolutely nothing with pens. He's so bad

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Dipauli did have some injury problems last year and missed a decent amount of time. This year, he seems to be healthy, 4pts in 9 AHL gms.
Kind of funny that all the hype around di Pauli and he has done absolutely nothing with pens. He's so bad

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If the Caps don't promise Gersich games in the NHL right away he won't sign here. And I don't care how he is doing right now, he is the perfect 2018 NHL player with his speed and vision.

Outlook for forwards def goes down if Gersich doesn't sign.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
If the Caps don't promise Gersich games in the NHL right away he won't sign here. And I don't care how he is doing right now, he is the perfect 2018 NHL player with his speed and vision.

Outlook for forwards def goes down if Gersich doesn't sign.

well they have two years to get it done

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
If he says he leaving school, the Caps have 30 days from his last game in college to sign him. Obviously if he stays in school they have until 2019.

I think.....

pretty sure he has to be a senior
vesey=rangers played 4 years of college
dipauli-4 years of college

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
If Gersich plays his senior year, Caps retain his rights until August 15th after he graduates. Yet I keep seeing that he's eligible for free agency in 2018? I did just notice that he played juniors the year after he was drafted, so I do think he has to sign by this Aug 15. I believe it's something in the CBA, meaning that since he played USHL after being drafted, then went to college, he becomes a free agent after his junior year.

Last edited:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Stephenson has played well. I thought he should have made the opening roster. He should push Walker and O'Brien out of the lineup. I'm not sure Graovac will get back in the line up either. I'm hoping they deal Connolly but I doubt that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad