Post-Game Talk: Capitals vs Avalanche 9pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gopack76

Nov 17, 2017
We did have a very bad off season. Lost some guys to free agency. Lost Schmidt to Vegas. Overpaid a few players which forced us to trade Johansson. Are only pickups were borderline NHL players. But with no cap space we couldn't sign anyone. We also traded away a ton of draft picks. We didn't have a pick until the 4th round in the last draft.

I totally forgot about MoJo. His regular season scoring is missed this year or the equivalent of it which, as your rightly point out, was not replaced by anyone other than borderline NHL players.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
I agree with locker, I'm more unhappy with this one, than with the preds game.
Pathetic effort. You can't conceed goals in the first and the last minute of a period.

Throw this trip in the bin, come back home and start to win games again.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I'm really curious what's gonna happen next. I can't see this being allowed to continue but I can't see much that can be done to change this downfall. Either someone puts on their carry pants or we are in for a Rocky period.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Who is more overrated and over paid? When we signed Niskanen he was one of the highest paid defence men in the NHL. Even now his salary is in the top 20.

Niskanen is a legit puck moving 1st pair defenseman. Iirc he lead the team in toi the last 2 seasons. Shutdown pair, 1st pk, 2nd pp, 4 on 4, 3 on 3. For $5.75m? That's a bargain.

Oh...mojo's production was supposed to be replaced by Burakovsky and Vrana, Not Chaisson or DSP

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
This goes higher up than GMBM. I honestly believe he has been handcuffed by Dick Patrick, to what he really wanted to do. One of those, was firing Trotz.

It wouldn't be at all surprising if that indeed was the case, esp. when Leonsis said this:
“I don’t like firing people. I mean, it’s so easy via email, via Twitter to say fire this person, fire that person, but you don’t just fire the person. There’s a whole organization around him. And every time you fire someone, it makes it that much harder to hire someone new. Our new coach with the Capitals, he’s a great man. He’s very very honest. He’s a family man. And if we were an organization that was cavalier in how we fired people, he wouldn’t want to be here. Who wants to go into an environment like that? And so I just kind of look at a world where you reap what you sow.”

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008

It wouldn't be at all surprising if that indeed was the case, esp. when Leonsis said this:

Leonsis makes a good point. The problem is that it's not a reactionary thing with Trotz, it's a recognition that his style, his points of emphasis are sorely lacking in today's NHL. OK, tell Trotz to increase his emphasis on puck possession, quicker puck movement, etc. Similar to what McPhee did with Boudreau with regard to changing styles.

My fear is that we may never know what we have with our young players as long as Barry is coach. I mean, we traded away a first rounder for an unnecessary rental when we really had what we needed right in front of us (Schmidt). There's no doubt the coach influences roster moves, and we've made some poor ones of late.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Niskanen is a legit puck moving 1st pair defenseman. Iirc he lead the team in toi the last 2 seasons. Shutdown pair, 1st pk, 2nd pp, 4 on 4, 3 on 3. For $5.75m? That's a bargain.

Oh...mojo's production was supposed to be replaced by Burakovsky and Vrana, Not Chaisson or DSP
Niskanen isn't a shutdown dman. And 5.75 a year isn't a bargain especially at the time he signed. We over paid for him. Carlson is a better all round dman and makes less than 4 million per season.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
It's not like this is Barry's first season. The Caps gave him a fantastic opportunity to win a Cup with a stacked team for two seasons, and have kept him around for 3.25 of his 4 season contract. That seems like very fair treatment to me. Most coaches in the NHL would kill for that kind of opportunity.

Now their system is getting exposed, and Barry doesn't seem capable of adjusting. The league sees these things. Word gets out. Firing him now wouldn't have any negative long term effects.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Niskanen isn't a shutdown dman. And 5.75 a year isn't a bargain especially at the time he signed. We over paid for him. Carlson is a better all round dman and makes less than 4 million per season.

Come on. Carlson signed long time ago at different circumstances (namely - being younger and less established guy). Niskanen signed for market value. Nothing wrong here.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Leonsis needs to be willing to touch the third rail of this organization and move some of the more recognized players. A coaching change will not be enough, a cultural change is what is needed. Caps need to do another Ryan Walters/Rick Green transaction and Montreal would seem to be a possible partner especially after losing at home to the Yotes last night.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
You would think right? Funny part is most of us accepted they would be fighting for a playoff spot from here on out.

People want the next in a long line up coaches to step up and fail again with this core.

We are all spoiled. Comes with the territory, I guess (why, I have no idea). They are a .500 team. They lose on the road. They beat good teams, they lose to bad teams. Sounds about the same for 20 other clubs in the NHL (5 are actually really good, 5 are actually really bad, and then the middle 20).

Trotz is gone after this year, we all know this. I'm assuming Ted will have an honest discussion with him (maybe next week) about whether he wants to leave now, or ride out the season. If he leaves now, he may get more options in where he coaches again. If he leaves at end of season, maybe not. It's obvious that Rierdon is the next "Coach in Waiting", so it's simply a matter of time as to when that occurs. I honestly think Trotz will have a lot of say in it, not by his coaching actions, but by his decision on his end date.

They could very very easily pay him the rest of the year and he can leave this week. OR he wants to battle it out. He knows the locker room better than anyone, and whether he has their ears or not. If he thinks he's lost the room, he may move on now.

We will see. Next game will be very very interesting to see how they come out to start it.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's less the overall record than the combination of:

- losing to weaker teams, which at least in theory is where they should bank points
- underlying numbers suggesting they're not very good
- stale play rendering them mostly unwatchable
- Niskanen's return not changing anything after two games

We knew it would be a down season but they've managed to fall below modest expectations on most nights mainly because they're so routinely careless. They need to think more big picture than shuffling lines and are in need of a more aggressive style of attacking (which I doubt would come from Reirden, who I'm not sure would produce much of any new coach bounce). The next seven games are against teams currently in playoff spots so they better buckle up. Nine of the next ten are also at home so the next three weeks will be key in whether they're competitive and in a decent position or careless, sliding and facing an uphill battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad