Prospect Info: Capitals Prospects and Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - 2014-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Washington has resigned Aaron Ness to a one year, two way deal.

Pretty meh about the signing. He really isn't great in his own zone and I'd rather his PP minutes be given to a young gun instead.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Interesting post on the Bears FB group. Someone was bashing Helmer saying he isn’t as good as Doug Yingst. Multiple people responding to the post stating that Helmer doesn’t have half the responsibilities that Yingst had, including signing players. If that’s true, sounds like maybe the Caps AGM might be in charge of that? Below is one of the posts

Helmer has virtually no say in signings, and even isn't the primary guy for depth players. He's mostly in charge of the schedule and the in-house stuff. Really isn't connected with the hockey end that much at all.

blindsideheadshot

Jun 26, 2013
Per Twitter, looks like Caps declined to sign Kevin Elgestal and Dmitri Zaitsev. Elgestal goes UFA, Zaitsev will go back into the draft.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Don’t get the Zaitsev non signing. I know we have a ton of D in the system but he’s progressively gotten better each year number wise
I enjoyed him in the games I watched. He's got some light potential to be a really good AHLer. I wouldn't be surprised to see him to back to the KHL after not being signed. He's good enough to be a project young guy for some team in the K.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I enjoyed him in the games I watched. He's got some light potential to be a really good AHLer. I wouldn't be surprised to see him to back to the KHL after not being signed. He's good enough to be a project young guy for some team in the K.
That makes sense. I haven't watched him play and only was basing my thoughts on his career stats. Wouldn't be surprised to see some NHL organization that has a weak D prospect pool take a flyer on him in the late rounds of the draft or as an UFA.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Another AHL HC opening. Going to be interesting to see who Hershey hires. They're currently competing with Tucson, Colorado, Belleville, and Milwaukee to hire a head coach.

I think Mann gets the Belleville job given his brother works in the Sens organization and he apparently already had an interview. Also think Hershey waits until the SCF are over to announce any kind of hiring. I'd assume they'd want a new coach in place before the NHL draft and at the very latest before Development Camp

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
One of the rumors regarding Trotz after this season was a possible Minnesota destination due to his past history with Paul Fenton and the Wild owner who were both involved with the Predators. Evason becoming an assistant would now suggest that Minnesota does not have Trotz in their immediate plans.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hats off to the local paper in Harrisburg and their website Pennlive. One AP article about the Caps winning the cup and it's buried around Penn State Football recruiting articles. Some sort of article about the former Bears would have been nice. Sad!

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Boudreau really has "his guys" as assistants. Bob Woods seems to follow him everywhere he goes, and here is Evason joining him back up.
My mother taught Bob Woods' kid while he was in Washington. His wife was really frustrated the off-season that Boudreau wasn't fired, but the writing and speculation was on the wall. She didn't know if she'd be able to stay in NoVA for the full year ahead, or if she'd have to move and pull her son out of school partway through the year. It's hard when you realize the human situations around these coaches.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Can you guys give me some insight into these Caps players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Shane Gersich
Madison Bowey
Nathan Walker
Christian Djoos
Travis Boyd
Jakub Jerabek

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Can you guys give me some insight into these Caps players who made their NHL debut last season? Specifically what type of player they are, if they have an NHL future and what role they project as in the long-term. Thanks!

Shane Gersich
Madison Bowey
Nathan Walker
Christian Djoos
Travis Boyd
Jakub Jerabek

Gersich - Quick, waterbug type player. Probably has an NHL future, but it's unclear if he will simply be a depth/energy guy, or if he will be able to translate his scoring prowess and become a legitimate top 6/9 guy.

Bowey - All the tools to be a top 4 defenseman, but unclear if he's got the hockey IQ to execute that at an NHL level. Probably played his best hockey of the year after he got sent back down to the AHL. Not waiver-exempt next year, so he'll likely stick on the roster in some capacity, but it's possible it could be as a #7 depending on who they keep.

Walker - Few play with more hustle, but he's probably not much than an organizational depth guy. If there's enough cap/free agency casualties, he could be 4LW next year, but ultimately he's probably more of a #13-15 forward. He was waived this year because Trotz didn't like that he didn't kill penalties, but he has PKd at all the lower levels, so we'll see.

Djoos - Super slick, smooth skating defenseman. Can make some incredible plays with the puck on his stick. Really undersized, and can get smothered when he's not jumping plays. Played top 4 for a while this year, but ultimately settled into the seldom-used third pairing in the playoffs.

Boyd - Playmaking forward that has achieved high levels of success in the NCAA and AHL, but is probably just organizational depth at the NHL level. Not a PKer or checking forward.

Jerabek - Mobile defenseman acquired at the trade deadline from Montreal. Helped provide some depth and balance to the blueline, but ultimately was struggled mightily against Columbus and was benched in favor of Djoos (who outplayed him). Not sure if he'll be back in Washington or not, but he's probably worth an NHL contract somewhere.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Gersich - Quick, waterbug type player. Probably has an NHL future, but it's unclear if he will simply be a depth/energy guy, or if he will be able to translate his scoring prowess and become a legitimate top 6/9 guy.

Bowey - All the tools to be a top 4 defenseman, but unclear if he's got the hockey IQ to execute that at an NHL level. Probably played his best hockey of the year after he got sent back down to the AHL. Not waiver-exempt next year, so he'll likely stick on the roster in some capacity, but it's possible it could be as a #7 depending on who they keep.

Walker - Few play with more hustle, but he's probably not much than an organizational depth guy. If there's enough cap/free agency casualties, he could be 4LW next year, but ultimately he's probably more of a #13-15 forward. He was waived this year because Trotz didn't like that he didn't kill penalties, but he has PKd at all the lower levels, so we'll see.

Djoos - Super slick, smooth skating defenseman. Can make some incredible plays with the puck on his stick. Really undersized, and can get smothered when he's not jumping plays. Played top 4 for a while this year, but ultimately settled into the seldom-used third pairing in the playoffs.

Boyd - Playmaking forward that has achieved high levels of success in the NCAA and AHL, but is probably just organizational depth at the NHL level. Not a PKer or checking forward.

Jerabek - Mobile defenseman acquired at the trade deadline from Montreal. Helped provide some depth and balance to the blueline, but ultimately was struggled mightily against Columbus and was benched in favor of Djoos (who outplayed him). Not sure if he'll be back in Washington or not, but he's probably worth an NHL contract somewhere.

What he said.

Reactions: Legionnaire11

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Lots of tidbits in Zach Fisch’s mailbag article today.

First off, the Capitals hold all control on personnel decisions and player contracts. Helmer has a big say in some of this, but ultimately the Caps have final say.

Per the four-year affiliation agreement signed in the summer of 2016, the Washington Capitals have the final say on all player personnel decisions. This includes AHL contracts. The Capitals build Hershey’s roster. Key names from Washington who help with this are Director of Player Personnel Chris Patrick and Pro Scout Jason Fitzsimmons. Hershey’s VP of Hockey Operations Bryan Helmer gives a great deal of input to Washington on signings and trades. Everyone is on the same page that winning in Hershey is important, and that producing players who play important games for the Chocolate and White only helps their development as prospects

Caps want to have Hershey’s head coach in place by Development Camp. Narrowing down their list to finalists and may conduct interviews at the draft. Someone asked for candidates and his response is below

This process has been kept very quiet and I have not heard the names of any of the many candidates interviewed. With that said, I do believe there is interest in bringing in a young up-and-coming coach. I’d guess the hire comes from someone who has had success in the major junior ranks, or someone who has experience that is a current AHL assistant coach.

Jeff Halpern has been an assistant in Syracuse the past two seasons. He was a longtime Capital and all reports say he’s very well-liked among Crunch players. The OHL has numerous intriguing head coaches that NHL fans may remember: Derian Hatcher, Todd Gill, Cory Stillman, and Jay McKee, to name a few.

Ted Dent was the coach of Rockford for six years from 2011-17 and developed a great deal of prospects who have gone on to play for the Chicago Blackhawks. He spent last year as an associate coach with Niagara of the OHL, but I’d imagine he wants to get back behind the bench at the pro level.

Also subtly drops that Mitchell, Sill and Bourque won’t be back

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I couldn't entirely hear the question but I think MacLellan said they're down to four or five candidates for the Hershey job and they'll be interviewed at the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->