Prospect Info: Capitals Prospects and Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - 2014-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Timing makes it seem that way somewhat.
Yeah the post I'm referencing was posted about a few weeks ago. Didn't state anything specific but the poster said they heard he wanted out and would look elsewhere.

I think in a small town like Hershey, there's some sort of truth to a lot of rumors/rumblings that can come out.

Reactions: Lurch

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Manns team wasn't garbage this year. Might not have been a calder caliber team but it certainly wasn't trash. If he wanted out then that means he wasn't giving his all year. That's not a guy I want coaching my team.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Manns team wasn't garbage this year. Might not have been a calder caliber team but it certainly wasn't trash. If he wanted out then that means he wasn't giving his all year. That's not a guy I want coaching my team.
That team was garbage I have no idea what you’re talking about. They graduated Djoos, Stephenson, Bowey and Vrana. Lost Galiev, Thomas and Carey in the offseason and replaced them with multiple rookie defensemen and Peluso, Albert, Simpson, and Langlois. They got Graovac and Walker back halfway through the season and traded Labrie and Albert mid way through the year for Whitney to add scoring and Chappie who barely played down the stretch.

Hershey’s center depth was Boyd, Gustafsson, Sill and Langlois at one point and they sprinkled in the likes of Graovac, Albert, and McGauley during the year. The goaltenders were hurt for the first month of the year and we had the likes of Parker Milner and Adam Carlson playing games.

It was an uphill climb from the start and WBS, LV, and Providence all signed big time AHL free agents while Hershey’s biggest signing was Albert (based on pedigree) who was traded mid season.

It was the worst Hershey team in the Caps/Bears era IMO and the positive out of all of it is that the young guys seemed to grow despite all the losing.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Chockey Hockey

Jul 4, 2014
The day it was announced that Mann's contract was not being renewed, he was interviewed via phone by Greg Mace of ABC 27 sports. He sounded like a guy who was blindsided and hurt. Those stating that he wanted out, have no clue what they are talking about.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The day it was announced that Mann's contract was not being renewed, he was interviewed via phone by Greg Mace of ABC 27 sports. He sounded like a guy who was blindsided and hurt. Those stating that he wanted out, have no clue what they are talking about.
Going to play devil's advocate here. Unless you know something specifically that others don't, I'd say there was a possibility he wanted out. If he wasn't happy with how the organization was treating him and if there were indeed communication issues between Washington/Hershey I could see why he'd be frustrated and would want to bail.

And of course he's going to sound somber in an interview. He's not going to show joy that he was let go because that sends the wrong message to any future employer.

Whether it's true or not, there's very few who actually know. Like I said in the previous post about it, guys on the Hershey Bears Fans FB group posted that and that's the only place I saw it mentioned. Fans in that group have been correct before on certain things so I thought I'd share it here.

Hopefully next year they start fresh with a new set of eyes and a new set of veteran guys. And hopefully those veteran players are guys who can put the puck in the net and not the Peluso's of the AHL.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Friedman mentioned recently that Mann's brother is Ottawa's chief amateur scout. Today Ottawa announced their AHL head coach won't return so that seems like a logical landing spot.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
It’s may 1st, that means Samsonov’s contract in the KHL is up and free to sign with whomever he wants. Hopefully Caps is that team!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Pilon scored the GTG during a third period comeback in what turned out to be the series clincher for Everett. They'll face Swift Current, the team Malenstyn was traded to, in the WHL Final. So one Caps prospect is assured to be at the Memorial Cup. Pilon leads Everett in playoff scoring (11+13 in 16 games).

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Pilon scored the GTG during a third period comeback in what turned out to be the series clincher for Everett. They'll face Swift Current, the team Malenstyn was traded to, in the WHL Final. So one Caps prospect is assured to be at the Memorial Cup. Pilon leads Everett in playoff scoring (11+13 in 16 games).

this was his goal, a little sneaky and lucky, but nice looking hands

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Going to play devil's advocate here. Unless you know something specifically that others don't, I'd say there was a possibility he wanted out. If he wasn't happy with how the organization was treating him and if there were indeed communication issues between Washington/Hershey I could see why he'd be frustrated and would want to bail.

And of course he's going to sound somber in an interview. He's not going to show joy that he was let go because that sends the wrong message to any future employer.

Whether it's true or not, there's very few who actually know. Like I said in the previous post about it, guys on the Hershey Bears Fans FB group posted that and that's the only place I saw it mentioned. Fans in that group have been correct before on certain things so I thought I'd share it here.

Hopefully next year they start fresh with a new set of eyes and a new set of veteran guys. And hopefully those veteran players are guys who can put the puck in the net and not the Peluso's of the AHL.
I honestly am looking forward to a new set of eyes and a new mindset there. I liked Mann a lot and he was onboard with the whole Hershey plays like DC idea it seemed but sometimes things get stale. Trotz is stale in DC. Sometimes change is a good thing. Hopefully the influx of young talent helps and hopefully the big club can support with some decent contracts for vets.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014

23 year old (very) undersized right winger. 26 points (12+24) for Byrnäs this year.

edit: caps release says he's 5'9", eliteprospects says he's 5'7"

edit part 2: he's grown a lot in the past 8 hours, eliteprospects now says hes 5'10"

Last edited:

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Troy Mann is getting interviewed by the Sens for the vacant position in Belleville. Any insight on what kind of system he runs?

Flick of the Switch

Apr 26, 2015
Ikonen played a few years in my home team, JYP a couple years ago, didn't think he'd end up toward NHL at all, but good for him. His strenghts lie in a more SHL / KHL suited game for sure, so this is a bit of a surprise, but all the best to the man.
Ikonen is the sort of player that compensates a solid center + a scoring winger with his speed and playmaking. But those 2 need to be top 2 line guys and he's out of place on the lower lines. Struggles in corners as to be expected and has a lackluster shot from what I recall, but can still score occasionally with some imagination, but isn't really a scorer either.

And that 5'7'' is definitely the closest of those measurements, the fella is tiny, I dunno what heels he has been wearing for eliteprospect.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Troy Mann is getting interviewed by the Sens for the vacant position in Belleville. Any insight on what kind of system he runs?
He relies heavily on puck possession and cycling the puck. He has constantly preached about "Grade A" chances, which means shooting the puck in a situation that is more likely going to result in a scoring chance. He wasn't a fan of just shooting the puck just to shoot the puck which was a huge reason that Hershey was outshot a lot during his tenure there.

He has had success developing the defensive games of a lot of current and former Caps players whether it was as an assistant or head coach in Hershey. He graduated Chandler Stephenson, Jakub Vrana, Christian Djoos, Madison Bowey and later in this season Travis Boyd.

Reactions: JungleBeat

Chockey Hockey

Jul 4, 2014
You do mean the Bears Fans Facebook page where they care more about warm-up songs, tables to dine on in the arena, and $1.00 cup soda refills?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
You do mean the Bears Fans Facebook page where they care more about warm-up songs, tables to dine on in the arena, and $1.00 cup soda refills?
Shocker, fans complaining about things they don’t like. That doesn’t mean there aren’t knowledgeable fans that are in that group that have commented and predicted things before they’ve happened.

Reactions: Lurch

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Things looking up in this thread.....it’s been a while. Great to see some signings.

Pumped about Pilon since draft day. I sure hope he’s got the talent to make it. Bloodlines are there...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->