Prospect Info: Capitals Prospects and Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - 2014-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
That would certainly help, as the coaching staff is certainly not happy with the level of talent available to them. However from a hockey ops point of view better communication and collaboration would be the primary need. As I noted before, these are not necessarily my sentiments but come from conversations with people close to it. Sometimes a problem may be exaggerated or blown out of proportion when venting over a hockey soda after a game.
Not asking for names or anything obviously because that would not be cool but are those conversations over hockey soda with someone in the know or just other fans? Not trying to start drama or anything just curious. There has been a huge downturn in Hershey since McPhee left and I'm curious if perhaps GMBM has less focus on the AHL team than McPhee did. I think GMGM wanted a culture of winning before they hit the NHL when it came to development. I have not seen that since he left. There's one thing in the organization from top to bottom AHL/NHL included that has changed, and that's GMBM. Perhaps he's more focused on experience at any level of competitiveness than McPhee was. Not saying one way is right and one is wrong when it comes to development because I'm nothing more than a Monday morning QB, but just my observation.

Lurch

Apr 11, 2011
Central PA / Central Florida
I don't hear much about GMBM lately. Early on there was a great deal of frustration that the communication wasn't there with him. There is certainly a contrast between him and GMGM. Doug Yingst told me very plainly when I asked about the Caps/Bears relationship years ago that he spoke with GMGM daily, he was emphatic that they were of one mind. I don't know Helmer very well so I don't get that kind of insight from him.

Players and staff. I have a family member who played on one of the Calder Cup teams and grew up around the org. I also hear things around the arena, but I don't talk much about that as it may only be rumors. Keep in mind, Hershey is a close knit hockey town. Lots of people are very close to the org so lots of the rumors on the concourse do have a tie to someone in the know and could be accurate.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I don't hear much about GMBM lately. Early on there was a great deal of frustration that the communication wasn't there with him. There is certainly a contrast between him and GMGM. Doug Yingst told me very plainly when I asked about the Caps/Bears relationship years ago that he spoke with GMGM daily, he was emphatic that they were of one mind. I don't know Helmer very well so I don't get that kind of insight from him.

Players and staff. I have a family member who played on one of the Calder Cup teams and grew up around the org. I also hear things around the arena, but I don't talk much about that as it may only be rumors. Keep in mind, Hershey is a close knit hockey town. Lots of people are very close to the org so lots of the rumors on the concourse do have a tie to someone in the know and could be accurate.
Thanks for replying Lurch, was just curious if you were an insider or just a fan. I am a little discouraged that Hershey hasn't been as solid the past couple years. I would much rather our prospects play on teams that have a chance to win as opposed to teams that just exist for their ice time. I feel like the cap situation with the big club may play a big part in why the AHL signings haven't been up to snuff. That doesn't excuse GMBM for not being more involved though.

Reactions: Lurch

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
This isn't the first season that Lurch has come in here to claim the Capitals and Bears relationship is souring. Not saying it's not true, but just remember to consider the source.
I don't at all doubt there are disagreements and it's not as good of a relationship as it used to be. But three Calder Cups and five AHL final appearances in 13 seasons allows for a certain tolerance and patience during times of adversity. Plus, it doesn't seem as though Hershey has the management leadership in place post-Yingst to test the waters either way.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
This kid got some serious wheels!! Almost looks like he’s got “McDavid separation speed”?

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Fjallby with a goal, but Djurgården is eliminated

Sign him and get him in the lineup right away as he’s got to be a decent amount better than most of the bottom 6 forwards the Caps have now right? Right...? Right............................? ;)

Lurch

Apr 11, 2011
I don't at all doubt there are disagreements and it's not as good of a relationship as it used to be. But three Calder Cups and five AHL final appearances in 13 seasons allows for a certain tolerance and patience during times of adversity. Plus, it doesn't seem as though Hershey has the management leadership in place post-Yingst to test the waters either way.

I would agree with everything here. I think Hershey has to get its own house back in order before we look to Washington. A great deal of our success comes from AHL only contracts and a strong local advocacy. Hershey doesn't really have that at present; I hope it changes soon for the good of both Hershey and Washington. Having a first-class AHL experience and a culture of winning and success can only help the prospects when and if they matriculate to Washington.

Funny thing, I didn't hear much from Hivemind when I called the AHL all-star game, and both outdoor games long before they were public knowledge or even rumors. I have sent my bona fides to the admins years ago and have made the offer to meet up with anyone at the games. I don't think I ever really go out and say outlandish things and I can't recall any objective items I have stated that wasn't 100% accurate. Not sure I understand why the relatively few subjective things I discuss are met with such resistance.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
@Lurch I don't doubt you have connections and get some legit info. I just question how impartial the information you're being fed is. For straight up factual items like the outdoor classic, it's easy. For more subjective matters, you may simply be hearing a lot of one-sided venting about issues (or at least slanted versions of stories).

Reactions: Lurch

Lurch

Apr 11, 2011
@Lurch I don't doubt you have connections and get some legit info. I just question how impartial the information you're being fed is. For straight up factual items like the outdoor classic, it's easy. For more subjective matters, you may simply be hearing a lot of one-sided venting about issues (or at least slanted versions of stories).

I agree and even mentioned that some of it may be blowing off steam. I complain about my boss sometimes, but generally am really happy working with him.

That said, the overall mood in Hershey is growing dissatisfaction both internally and with the Caps. The grumbling has been growing for a few years now and it may not be just blowing off steam. I don't expect anything to come of it, but the locker room is the worst I have seen in quite some time.

The prospect pool problem is tough given that the Caps are perennial contenders and need to focus on success up top. However, the communication and cooperation issues are really inexcusable and hopefully will improve for the good of both organizations.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have it on good authority that Garrett Mitchell and Zach Sill will definitely not be back next season and Chris Bourque is more likely moving on than not. I don’t want to disclose the source but this is coming from someone close to the team that I happened to cross paths with today at work.

If the mods want to know the source send me a message and I’ll let you know. I just don’t want to get this person in trouble

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
Sign him and get him in the lineup right away as he’s got to be a decent amount better than most of the bottom 6 forwards the Caps have now right? Right...? Right............................? ;)

Well, he’s definitely better than Chiasson :nod:

Chockey Hockey

Jul 4, 2014
Guys, what about Lucas Johansen and Jonas Siegenthaler? Are they any good?
Johansen didn't seem to improve much from the beginning of the season to the end. I do see some upside to him but it will take a few more years in the AHL. Siegenthaler had a great start to the year and tailed off for awhile mid-season. However, he came on strong at the end of the year and also showed some offensive upside. I would consider him more NHL ready than LuJo at this time. As for Hobbs, injuries stunted his growth this season for the most part. He couldn't seem to find openings the get his laser of a shot off like we were told he did in Jr's. He does have a bit of a mean streak though.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
AJF will get some more games with the national team as he's part of the roster for the Swedish Hockey Games.

Målvakter: Filip Gustavsson (Ottawa), Anders Nilsson (Vancouver), Magnus Hellberg (Kunlun).
Backar: John Klingberg (Dallas), Mikael Wikstrand (Färjestad), Adam Larsson (Edmonton), Lawrence Pilut (HV71), Oliver Ekman Larsson (Arizona), Erik Brännström (HV71), Adam Almqvist (Frölunda), Erik Gustafsson (Chicago).
Forwards: Adrian Kempe (Los Angeles), Mikael Backlund (Calgary), Johan Larsson (Buffalo), Mattias Janmark (Dallas), Jacob Nilsson (Mora), Dennis Everberg (Nizjnekamsk), Patrik Zackrisson (Novisibirisk), Lias Andersson (New York Rangers), Jacob de la Rose (Montreal), John Norman (Jokerit), Axel Jonsson Fjällby (Djurgården), Carl Klingberg (Zug), Magnus Pääjärvi (Ottawa), Mika Zibanejad (New York Rangers).

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
I feel like that's an indication that even a good 2nd round means Trotz is gone. Wasn't Mann considered a Trotz lite?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Definitely could be an indication that the Caps move on from Trotz. Allows the organization to bring in a coach for Hershey that meshes well with the Caps new head coach's system.

I will say this though. I wouldn't put the majority of the blame on this season on Troy Mann. He definitely was given a tough gig this year with the drop off in quality players. You could also argue he overachieved with the CC finals team in '15 They ended up getting to the finals by beating a stacked Toronto team pretty easily and ran into one of the best AHL teams of the last decade when they got to the finals. He'll land on his feet quickly I'd assume.

Good riddance to Ryan Murphy. He had the best AHL PP player of this generation in Chris Bourque and the PP was absolutely horrendous. He might be better suited to be a video and skills development coach and not spend time coaching on the bench.

Will be interesting to see who they hire this offseason.

Chockey Hockey

Jul 4, 2014
And yet Helmer stays. He wouldn't be in Hershey if not for Troy Mann bringing him along as an Assistant Coach when he got the head coach gig. And now, he throws Troy "Under the bus".

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
And yet Helmer stays. He wouldn't be in Hershey if not for Troy Mann bringing him along as an Assistant Coach when he got the head coach gig. And now, he throws Troy "Under the bus".
This is a big offseason for Helmer. He better grow some balls and get his shit together this offseason because the fans will quickly run him out of town if they have a season anywhere close to this year's. They should have a playoff team next year at the very least with all the young guys getting another year under their belt and the likes of Pinho, Pilon, AJF and Samsonov adding to the current group.

I also heard some rumblings that Mann wanted out. Not sure how true that is but it was posted on the Bears Fans FB Group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->