Prospect Info: Capitals Prospects and Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - 2014-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

I do agree with you re: his stickhandling and puck control but his combination of a heavy shot, energy, PK and speed will probably be too much for them to slow cook. These are things he can work on while in the NHL and he seems pretty much tailor made for an NHL fourth-line role otherwise.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
I 100% agree with you. He could very well be a 4th liner in the NHL already next year. However I think his puck control could become really frustrating at the NHL level. I just think longterm another year would be the best for all parties and he has already improved that area quite a bit in my opinion since the beginning of the season. My worry is playing in a new league might mean to much focus on not messing up and doing all the small things right instead of playing relaxed and with lots of courage. He has the coaches trust, his line is adored by the fans, even fans of other teams think it's such a fun line to watch and it's simply an environment he's comfortable in.

Otherwise I think his game is built for the smaller ice surface but I think he will be exposed for his weakesses more on the bigger ice which could be a positive thing to make his game more complete.

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Give me skating and energy with AJF over whatever the current 4th line is offering up, he can’t be any worse. I think it’s still very much up for debate whether prospects are actually well-served by playing in the minors or overseas (the old-school logic) rather than just learning on the fly in the NHL. We are seeing rookie QBs in the NFL starting right away which, while a different sport, parallels what I think should happen in the NHL. Obviously you need a coach willing to deal with some bumps in the road as well but with Trotz likely gone after this year I think that’s a possibility.

People argued that Tom Wilson was rushed to the NHL and that it may have stunted his growth but I don’t know if I believe that. He’s blossomed into a solid top 6 option but I wonder if he could have been there earlier if he was given a shot a few years ago. He had some tough competition on the wing prior to this season (Oshie, Williams, and Burakovsky) so I get why he was mainly on the 4th line but even in 2014-15 the 8-19-43 line got extended playing time with very good results. Also stands to reason that Wilson was the primary driver of the 4th line’s success in prior years given that Beagle seems to be an anchor away from Wilson and that Winnik isn’t really doing anything of note in Minnesota.

TL;DR: I want to see AJF have a shot with the big club.

Bieronymus Trotz

Sep 4, 2017
Give me skating and energy with AJF over whatever the current 4th line is offering up, he can’t be any worse. I think it’s still very much up for debate whether prospects are actually well-served by playing in the minors or overseas (the old-school logic) rather than just learning on the fly in the NHL. We are seeing rookie QBs in the NFL starting right away which, while a different sport, parallels what I think should happen in the NHL. Obviously you need a coach willing to deal with some bumps in the road as well but with Trotz likely gone after this year I think that’s a possibility.

People argued that Tom Wilson was rushed to the NHL and that it may have stunted his growth but I don’t know if I believe that. He’s blossomed into a solid top 6 option but I wonder if he could have been there earlier if he was given a shot a few years ago. He had some tough competition on the wing prior to this season (Oshie, Williams, and Burakovsky) so I get why he was mainly on the 4th line but even in 2014-15 the 8-19-43 line got extended playing time with very good results. Also stands to reason that Wilson was the primary driver of the 4th line’s success in prior years given that Beagle seems to be an anchor away from Wilson and that Winnik isn’t really doing anything of note in Minnesota.

TL;DR: I want to see AJF have a shot with the big club.
I've always thought that a player having the comfort and room in a lower-level environment to explore their offensive potential more is better, because it lets them try things they wouldn't have the opportunity to try when they're just trying to keep up or not make mistakes. To me, that just seems like the basic way learning works. Even if that's the case, you obviously don't want someone to be too much of a big fish in a small pond, though, and you have to look at each situation specifically. I'm sure there's research on how learning and skill development work that would get at a general answer to this, but I'm not going to go looking for it. ;)

In terms of AJF, I'm semi-convinced by both points of view, and I just don't know.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Pinho just (likely) blew the game for Providence, awful coverage on his man in front of the net to give up game winning goal with 27 seconds left in the third. (I really haven't watched any of him this year but Melrose says he's suprised and thinks pinho is one of the best defensive forwards in the NCAA)

Edit: heres the video of pinho's blown coverage

Last edited:
Reactions: peterthegreat12

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Pinho just (likely) blew the game for Providence, awful coverage on his man in front of the net to give up game winning goal with 27 seconds left in the third. (I really haven't watched any of him this year but Melrose says he's suprised and thinks pinho is one of the best defensive forwards in the NCAA)

Very doubtful that he signs with us. I don't blame him in that there isn't much opportunity for a young center on this team.

peterthegreat12

Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC

Doubtful he signs with the Caps. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him go to Boston.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If Chandler Stephenson & Travis Boyd deter him from signing, he's probably not going to make it anywhere. I think the bigger deterrent is more about style than sheer depth. You're not going to find too many organizations with weaker organizational depth at that position.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Ilya Samsonov says his current contract expires April 30th and then he will decide whether he is going overseas.

I guess he’s waiting to hear from the Caps management to see what they are going to do in regards of the goalies

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Doubtful he signs with the Caps. Wouldn’t be surprised to see him go to Boston.
Yeah I don't understand this logic other than because he's from New England. Why on earth would he join the Boston organization to receive playing time when he has a lot less competition to leapfrog in Washington? Beagle could easily be cut loose this offseason which creates an immediate hole at 4C. I doubt the organization sees Boyd as a full time 4C and Stephenson has been primarily playing on the wing this season and would be the only real other candidate for that position

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Leading the SHL in playoff goals, pretty impressive considering the first round he was getting about 9 minutes a game.

I watched the game today, he is just a straight up energy guy.
That exactly the type of guys we need playing 10-12 minutes a game. Beagles/Chaissons/DSPs are not the answer. I dream of Steve-o centering AJF and someone else with speed and grit as our 4th line.

peterthegreat12

Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
If you're a team who hasn't had many draft picks the last few years, you'd think the Caps would be in on some of the UFA College prospects this year but it doesn't sound like it thus far.

I guess the Caps just aren't a super attractive destination for college players? I feel like they should be given their cap situation.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
If you're a team who hasn't had many draft picks the last few years, you'd think the Caps would be in on some of the UFA College prospects this year but it doesn't sound like it thus far.

I guess the Caps just aren't a super attractive destination for college players? I feel like they should be given their cap situation.

The "problem" with being really good for a long time is you typically don't have a ton of roster spots open and when you do those spots are typically taken by high draft picks. Other than 12th-14th forward and 6th-8th defenseman there are no spots available for these guys to compete in Washington. College free agents typically want a path to ice time right away. Schmidt was a great example of right place, right time, and right fit.

peterthegreat12

Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
The "problem" with being really good for a long time is you typically don't have a ton of roster spots open and when you do those spots are typically taken by high draft picks. Other than 12th-14th forward and 6th-8th defenseman there are no spots available for these guys to compete in Washington. College free agents typically want a path to ice time right away. Schmidt was a great example of right place, right time, and right fit.
Good points.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
The report was Pinho was pretty likely to test free agency. Realistically, is a former 6th round pick gonna garner that much attention?

I doubt we'd get him, unless it's just about the money. He's got no room on the team this year and Hershey doesn't have the Playoffs for him to get on.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
About 7 months old but it sheds some light on the quality of the caps farm system versus that of the other teams The NHL's Best Farm Systems in 2017: A 1-31 Ranking. I would think the Caps farm system has dropped even more so since the article. That being noted there's less competition for Pinho right now than with most other NHL teams, thus better opportunities are with the Caps than most elsewhere. Just seems to me that the incentive would/should be with signing with the Caps, especially with the current plight of the Bears not making the playoffs, it seems they are in need of many things, furthermore within the next two seasons right now I'm envisioning the only players remaining on the bottom six of the Caps will be Eller, Stephenson and Gersich and possibly Connolly with the likes of Beagle, Chiasson and Smith-Pelle moving on, so opportunities exist the rosters are not stagnant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad