Prospect Info: Capitals Prospects and Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - 2014-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
So does he join next year or is he able to join as soon as pen's put to paper?

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
So does he join next year or is he able to join as soon as pen's put to paper?
as soon as he signs he can join, however he could go to the AHL or big club. It might be part of the agreement to sign that he gets a shot with the caps, but nobody really knows.

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
Maybe he get's a cup of coffee in the bigs, but I doubt it. I thought/think they brought up Boyd to be their 13th/14th guy going forward. Dunno if they'd suddenly drop him for the unproven guy.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Nice to see Gersich signed. I feel like his numbers were low this year due to a weaker supporting staff this year since they’ve lost so many players to the NHL. He was the standout at Caps prospect camp this year I thought?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Nice to see Gersich signed. I feel like his numbers were low this year due to a weaker supporting staff this year since they’ve lost so many players to the NHL. He was the standout at Caps prospect camp this year I thought?
He was indeed, but there wasn't exactly a whole lot of competition for him at prospect camp.

Reactions: Son of Petter

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
AJF goal today. 3 points in 3 playoff games.

Seen some talk about some wanting him over next year. However I think another year in Sweden would do him good. Skating, engine and physique ain't the problem but his stickhandling and puck control isn't on par yet, need some work and I think the international ice would be a better fit to adapt that part of the game.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014

Seen some talk about some wanting him over next year. However I think another year in Sweden would do him good. Skating, engine and physique ain't the problem but his stickhandling and puck control isn't on par yet, need some work and I think the international ice would be a better fit to adapt that part of the game.

the fact that he was looking away the whole time is pretty f***in cool

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

He should be here next year, in Hershey adapting to the NA game. He’s 20, it’s time. Hell he could make the big club, never know.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

The Caps dev. camp in the summer it is always pretty obvious when a prospect is ready for a next step. I would think the main thing in the summer would be to see where he is physically and with his game if he could be a regular down in Hershey. If not I don't think it would make sense for him to be in the ECHL and yeah would think another year in land of swede would be fine with me, imho.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014

Isabel seems pretty confident in Caps signing Gersich, in case there was still some worrying.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
Isn't his contract only a cap problem if he is on the roster this season? They could sign him, with the intention of his contract starting next year, no?
yeah, like reading into what isabelle has said, it definitely appears the contract will begin this year, and it's possible he'll be up with the caps immediately

Reactions: peterthegreat12

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
the fact that he was looking away the whole time is pretty ****in cool

Very JC74 in the 2010 WJC.

I watched a bit of this game and Axel definitely makes the most of the limited ice time he gets. FYI, he didn't get a lot, which I assume is because he is the second youngest player on the team.

Makes sense. Might be a condition of him being willing to sign.

Yeah, if he didn't have some promise of money and immediate playing time, either here or in Hershey, Gersich has zero incentive to sign right now.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Isn't his contract only a cap problem if he is on the roster this season? They could sign him, with the intention of his contract starting next year, no?
They want to play him now. They think he could help.

There is plenty of precedent for college kids arriving in spring and providing a spark, even for teams who are already doing well. Donato doing it right now in Boston. Kreider did it back in the day for Rangers. Boeser started contributing immediately for Canucks.

Depends on Trotz giving the kid actual TOI, of course. Which seems somewhat unlikely.

Shame for Boyd, though. I thought he was playing well.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd be surprised if Gersich brings a spark when the games really matter this season but I guess it's possible down the stretch here, particularly against some of the weaker teams they'll face. It's not like they've been playing a particularly energetic game collectively so it would be easier for a player like Gersich to come in and distinguish himself (provided he's got the physical tools to hold his own). I doubt he immediately puts pressure on 65/13 for a spot higher up the lineup but if he has a massive off-season and is able to translate his style against NHL competition it could happen sooner than later. It's not a particularly high bar when it comes to all-around consistency and production with those two. I doubt he's really close to the level of Kreider or Boeser but he could be a Jason Zucker type player (at least the earlier version of him that was more of energy than production).

For him to have any hope of getting into more than a game or two he'll have to quickly earn Trotz's trust from a defensive standpoint and also be a practice monster in terms of competing. They need more youth and speed so it's good to see him in the mix, even if his ultimate upside is probably not that phenomenal.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
So, Samsonov watch can begin: he is out of the KHL play-offs and it totally looks like he would prefer starter's role in Hershey more than backing up Koshechkin. KHL contract still runs until 30th of April, but it's not like those kind of things couldn't be settled by agreement.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
So, Samsonov watch can begin: he is out of the KHL play-offs and it totally looks like he would prefer starter's role in Hershey more than backing up Koshechkin. KHL contract still runs until 30th of April, but it's not like those kind of things couldn't be settled by agreement.
Bolshoi spasiba. How has Samsonov looked this year? And how would you compare him to the other prospects? Particularly Sorokin and Shestyorkin.

Reactions: Caser

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Bolshoi spasiba. How has Samsonov looked this year? And how would you compare him to the other prospects? Particularly Sorokin and Shestyorkin.

I had an impression that he finally has grown out of backup's shoes, but in front of him is Koshechkin - there is a reason he was team Russia starter at the Olympics.

And no, I won't even try to make a comparison with Sorokin and Shestyorkin, as it is a holywar. :P

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
College players that walk come off as a bit ungrateful in most situations.

The teams have them come for years to their development camps, give them advice throughout the year, and help them grow as players, and then they are like..."Nah."

What was the logic behind giving college players the ability to become a UFA after their college career ends? It seems to completely screw the NHL team and would encourage people to be weary of drafting them.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
They want to play him now. They think he could help.

There is plenty of precedent for college kids arriving in spring and providing a spark, even for teams who are already doing well. Donato doing it right now in Boston. Kreider did it back in the day for Rangers. Boeser started contributing immediately for Canucks.

Depends on Trotz giving the kid actual TOI, of course. Which seems somewhat unlikely.

Shame for Boyd, though. I thought he was playing well.

Maybe he can be our Guentzel and yes Boyd is really impressing me. Good to have youthful options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad