Prospect Info: Capitals Prospects and Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - 2014-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Chris Bourque suspended three games for boarding. I saw the hit live and didn’t think it was that bad. He hit a guy who was much much bigger than him

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Pinho IMO is more valuable to the organization given that our center depth is horrendous.

Losing decent college FAs year after year is going to set a bad precedent for the organization. I would have thrown good money at Pinho and not have signed Hampus Gustafson last offseason

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I'm reposting this from the other thread as it is more prospect related:

Wow is that kid fast! I hope he comes over after his playoffs if anything just to get to skate with the guys in practice.

Good on Mahoney, a truly great scout, and the one guy I was holding my breathe the Knights wouldn't poach, (more than Schmidt even), for going over and seeing the kid himself.

I really want to cheer for a player named Axel and who's nickname is "the Hunter".

View attachment 105997

I remember when they drafted him and I did some research which I bookmarked in a folder that I save for all the Caps recent picks, going back to Bowey.

Scouting report:
I had to double and triple check Jonsson Fjallby's listed height and weight with a couple different sources because watching live, it feels like he plays a way heavier game than his listed 170 lbs. He skates with a low center of gravity and flies around the ice like a wrecking ball, using his size and speed to be a disruptive force. He knocks opponents off the puck and makes offensive plays by out-hustling the other team.

Jonsson Fjallby loves going into the tough areas of the ice to make plays. He's always in the middle of the action and doing the dirty work to help create space for teammates.

He's not gonna score much, but he is gonna be a shit disturber for sure. Can't wait for him to get here. If he comes to dev and rookie camp and stands out, the new coach may give him some games next season.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Pinho IMO is more valuable to the organization given that our center depth is horrendous.
Eh, more valuable than Gersich? Hard to agree there. They do need more centers to develop given that they only have Pilon in the system but Gersich remains the more toolsy of the two IMO. Plus, they don't have a wealth of scoring-line wingers either, particularly faster ones. Pinho has developed defensively and is certainly worth signing but I think of him as somewhat similar to Boyd in not being able project a particular NHL role for him. Has he developed so much defensively to be a bottom six, PKing type center? It seems doubtful in short order but that's the quick transition he's likely facing to have a shot (or a move to wing). That has value but I don't think he has clear-cut NHL tools to where he's the more essential signing thanks to playing center.

It is a very curious development that they could lose two to three NCAA picks in recent years. Free agency is tempting but why have they struggled to form a bond or sense of loyalty? It would make me a lot less inclined to draft from that track, esp. if Gersich follows suit (at least later in the draft with players that will need most or all of those NCAA seasons).

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Eh, more valuable than Gersich? Hard to agree there. They do need more centers to develop given that they only have Pilon in the system but Gersich remains the more toolsy of the two IMO. Plus, they don't have a wealth of scoring-line wingers either, particularly faster ones. Pinho has developed defensively and is certainly worth signing but I think of him as somewhat similar to Boyd in not being able project a particular NHL role for him. Has he developed so much defensively to be a bottom six, PKing type center? It seems doubtful in short order but that's the quick transition he's likely facing to have a shot (or a move to wing). That has value but I don't think he has clear-cut NHL tools to where he's the more essential signing thanks to playing center.

It is a very curious development that they could lose two to three NCAA picks in recent years. Free agency is tempting but why have they struggled to form a bond or sense of loyalty? It would make me a lot less inclined to draft from that track, esp. if Gersich follows suit (at least later in the draft with players that will need most or all of those NCAA seasons).
Very solid points. I guess it just goes to show how weak our forward group is prospect wise. I really hope they use their 1st and 2nd rounders on forwards, unless there's an absolute steal at D that drops to them.

I guess Pinho could project as the 4C next season if he earns it. Would essentially replace Beagle and is a RH shot/faceoff guy. I guess that only works if the organization sees Stephenson more valuable at the wing position.

The NCAA picks seem to be going the FA route more often than not recently. Maybe it's just a trend at this point. I thought I saw or heard somewhere that NHL teams could push for some sort of change to that rule so they don't lose prospects for nothing. Even if they amend the rule to where the team that loses a college FA that they drafted gets a compensation pick in round 3-5 depending on the draft position of said player that would be helpful

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I’d stop drafting NCAA guys early if the trend is they’ll likely walk. They’re either willing to sign or goodbye...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

For example how is it Mahoney has never met AJF face to face?! Build those relationships with your draftees....I don’t get that AT ALL.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
For example how is it Mahoney has never met AJF face to face?! Build those relationships with your draftees....I don’t get that AT ALL.
I thought that was odd as well. It's not like these guys aren't here in DC for Development Camp or with members of our organization at Rookie Camp and the Rookie Tourney in Florida....oh wait.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm not too surprised given that I don't believe AJF was at the combine or the draft in his draft year. Those would have been prime opportunities but he has been to development camp (twice?) so it's not like he hasn't been nearby. (Plus, there have been other post-game possibilities over the years you'd think.) Post-draft it's generally Steve Richmond's job to maintain that interaction during the season and he would have had contact with Trotz and others in the summer but it's still rather awkward (particularly when Trotz is likely on the way out). That type of distance is also IMO part of why they don't really draft for character very often. Teams can still do their homework on a player's character by talking to staff, billets and the like but it should be a bigger area of emphasis than it has been. It's just one component but it should be a bigger part of their culture/identity. But part of that relationship also requires a more hands-on approach in terms of the very particular vision for how each player will improve...and I don't think they've managed that well either. Part of it's NHL coaching staff but it's more the overarching organizational developmental system and theirs is rather old school and cookie cutter it seems. That can't help either.

I'd still tend to take an NCAA player early if they're likely to only need a year or maybe two but anything longer and I'd have to really think about it. If it does end up being three players to walk and sign ELCs elsewhere I don't think anyone has lost that many and it's troubling, particularly when they have neither excessive NHL depth nor strong organizational depth blocking players at the AHL level.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
They need to sign one of Pinho and Gersich, full-stop.

If they can’t sign either, there is a problem with their relationship with prospects.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
When you draft out of the NCAA as frequently as the Capitals do, you're bound start getting burned by prospects walking sooner or later.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
They need to sign one of Pinho and Gersich, full-stop.

If they can’t sign either, there is a problem with their relationship with prospects.

Not sure I agree with this. What incentive is there for an NCAA player who plays out his time in the NCAA to not test the market? The player is doing what's in their best interest. As noted elsewhere, this is becoming more widespread from NCAA prospects across the board. It was somewhat unheard of when Blake Wheeler did it, but now it happens basically every off-season. Hayes, Butcher, Kerfoot, Vesey, etc. They just need to make sure they stay relatively even on the NCAA balance sheet (as Colorado and Jersey did when they essentially swapped Butcher and Kerfoot).

Also remember they managed to change Sanford's mind after he had already committed to returning to BC for his junior season.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
When you draft out of the NCAA as frequently as the Capitals do, you're bound start getting burned by prospects walking sooner or later.

I still have not idea why Thomas DiPauli thought signing with the Pens was smarter than signing with the Caps.

Did he, or his agent, even look at the organizational depth chart of the Pens and compare it to the Caps? He is 24 and hasn't played an NHL game yet. Just seems like a stupid career move.

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I still have not idea why Thomas DiPauli thought signing with the Pens was smarter than signing with the Caps.

Did he, or his agent, even look at the organizational depth chart of the Pens has compared to the Caps. He is 24 and hasn't played an NHL game yet. Just seems like a stupid career move.
I think the main reason was that he was a fan of the Penguins growing up and they showed interest if I remember correctly

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I think the main reason was that he was a fan of the Penguins growing up and they showed interest if I remember correctly

I really, really hope that's not it, because that is just moronic.

Better story if he was a fan of The Office, because Wilkes-Barre, where he will spend his time with the Pens organization before moving on to Europe, is the closest he will ever get to Pittsburgh.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Not sure I agree with this. What incentive is there for an NCAA player who plays out his time in the NCAA to not test the market? The player is doing what's in their best interest. As noted elsewhere, this is becoming more widespread from NCAA prospects across the board. It was somewhat unheard of when Blake Wheeler did it, but now it happens basically every off-season. Hayes, Butcher, Kerfoot, Vesey, etc. They just need to make sure they stay relatively even on the NCAA balance sheet (as Colorado and Jersey did when they essentially swapped Butcher and Kerfoot).

Also remember they managed to change Sanford's mind after he had already committed to returning to BC for his junior season.
But no team that I can recall has lost multiple players to other NHL teams via free agency. That would be the distinction should it indeed happen again this year. Unlike many past players like Hayes, Butcher or Vesey these aren't exactly marquee level prospects either. It's both more tolerable and less understandable because there should be less temptation for other teams to fast-track them and some level of familiarity which could give them an advantage in staying put. If they lose another two I'd venture it says less about the process and their rights than what is an increasingly suspect developmental environment, particularly for forwards.

It hasn't happened yet of course but I would guess that if Gersich isn't signed in the next day or two it's probably not happening. Compare that to a team like Boston, for instance, that drafts a lot of NCAA players and also has a relatively deep system at every level yet they've not lost anyone IINM to free agency. Such losses as they may face wouldn't even be that bad if they had better organizational depth but without that it makes it all the more puzzling.

Re: Priskie & Zaitsev, they do have contract spots available and they could be AHL black aces this spring but would likely have to start in the ECHL. I doubt Zaitsev would mind but that would be a tougher sell for Priskie IMO.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC

Hmmm...not sure there are too many teams who have lost multiple high profile prospects.

That and hard to believe money would be the issue, and it’s not like the Caps couldn’t guarantee Gersich a spot...they aren’t exactly over flowing with great forward prospects. Not sure I buy it in this situation.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I wouldn't call any of the Capitals prospect losses as "high profile." Gersich is not the same level as Wheeler, Butcher, Vesey, or Hayes. There's not going to be a "Gersich sweepstakes" like there was with Butcher last off-season. Even Kerfoot had a much stronger senior season than Gersich.
I also don't think many, if any, team would guarantee Gersich a roster spot. He's not nearly that caliber of a player to be a guarantee to step right into the NHL successfully. Guarantee to give him a fair shake in training camp next fall? Sure. Guarantee a roster spot? Doubtful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad