Prospect Info: Capitals Prospects and Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - 2014-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
It was a joke, sorry. My point again was Carlson was playing on a hugely better team, with much better partners, veteran or not, in his 20 year old year in Hershey. He also had the benefit playing 15 or so AHL playoff games the season before after his OHL season ended.

So again, who is Johansen usually playing with?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The scrub drafted 5th overall the year before his draft class..?

Regardless, who is Johansen usually playing with?
He's rotated partners over the course of the season but it's primarily been Lewington I believe and more recently he's been paired with Williams. The D the last few games has been like this:
Ness-Lewington
Johansen-Williams
Siegenthaler-Hobbs (until his injury)

I think Williams better suits LuJo's game and he's looked better paired with him. That could also just been because of learning strides throughout the year.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
Tough part about Lujo is the fact that he will be coming into his own right at the time the Caps are gonna need to go full rebuild.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Tough part about Lujo is the fact that he will be coming into his own right at the time the Caps are gonna need to go full rebuild.

I doubt it. Trading Holtby and having Samsonov instead isn't much of rebuild. Ovi is here for 200+ at least...Kuzy is already here.

Maybe Backstrom is gone. But look at Jumbo Joe. Nothing is given.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Hershey is crowded on the back-end, so the move probably makes sense for Priskie. Still a bit of a bummer, given that Hershey does need all the help it can get in terms of skilled players with projectable upsides. Not sure he's an NHL talent, but his style of play fits the modern game.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

Priskie, team captain, would be a senior should he return.

We'll see. He might see the incentive of a decent contract. Plus, his former coach is the assistant in Hershey now and runs the D. He'd step into immediate playing time at the AHL level. Assuming they go the youth route it could look something like:

LuJo-Priskie
Siegenthaler-Hobbs
Bindulis-Williams
Lewington? - Don't know how the organization views him at this point

Barring any of those said guys making the Caps and any veterans they bring in

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They need to sign Zaitsev in the next few months or risk losing his rights. He's a lefty, though, and likely behind Bindulis.

Bowey & Lewington require waivers in the fall so some of the numbers game could be eased, although I don't doubt Lewington clears and is back in Hershey.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Sounds like North Dakota's season may be over so perhaps we'll get resolution on Gersich soon.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
After seeing Bowey on his return to Hershey tonight, not much has changed. He still has all the tools, but his hockey IQ didn't improve while he was in Washington. And the effort is still inconsistent. Seems like the same player as when he left Hershey.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
L
I doubt it. Trading Holtby and having Samsonov instead isn't much of rebuild. Ovi is here for 200+ at least...Kuzy is already here.

Maybe Backstrom is gone. But look at Jumbo Joe. Nothing is given.

Lujo is ~4 yrs from full development (~24). At that point...

OV = 36
Backy = 34

We have other good players, but the offensive skill in our pipeline is sub-par. We'll not be able to backfill with cheaper players (ie our draftees). So we'll be on a offensive downside without any high quality offensive talent coming in...

To me that seems the most likely situation. Therefore Lujo's development will hit as our window is closing.

Chockey Hockey

Jul 4, 2014
I guess you weren't watching the same as I was. I thought Bowey was the best defenceman on the ice and he was able to get shots off more so than the other d-men. If Bowey would have had a bad game, the Bears fans Facebook page would be ripping him apart yet as of now there is not even one negative comment on him.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I guess you weren't watching the same as I was. I thought Bowey was the best defenceman on the ice and he was able to get shots off more so than the other d-men. If Bowey would have had a bad game, the Bears fans Facebook page would be ripping him apart yet as of now there is not even one negative comment on him.
Agreed. He was solid again last night and was dangerous in the offensive zone. It's a classic example of Hershey fans singling one guy out and spewing nothing but negativity about him. It happens a lot actually, which is pretty discouraging

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Agreed. He was solid again last night and was dangerous in the offensive zone. It's a classic example of Hershey fans singling one guy out and spewing nothing but negativity about him. It happens a lot actually, which is pretty discouraging

That's a funny comment. I've always been supportive of Bowey and wanted him to succeed. As I said, he has all the tools. It was great that he was throwing the puck on net when Hershey hasn't done that too often this year. He also had a few lackluster effort moments and some questionable decisions that opened up 2 on 1s and some potential 2 on 1s that Bridgeport on Friday didn't execute well. Some respected former players made similar comments that he needs to keep working on those things as he can recover at times at the AHL level but won't be able to at the NHL level. Maybe getting regular playing time will help.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Right. The same goes for Pinho but he's still playing. Providence plays Clarkson in the East bracket.

Edit: I take that back. The 8/15 deadline stands for Pinho but I believe if Gersich leaves early he would hit UFA in 7/1 instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoCaps2004

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Right. The same goes for Pinho but he's still playing. Providence plays Clarkson in the East bracket.

Edit: I take that back. The 8/15 deadline stands for Pinho but I believe if Gersich leaves early he would hit UFA in 7/1 instead.
Knowing the Caps recent luck with college players, they won’t get either one under contract. What is the reason for this loophole in the CBA for college players? Seems like this needs to be addressed in the next CBA.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
That's a funny comment. I've always been supportive of Bowey and wanted him to succeed. As I said, he has all the tools. It was great that he was throwing the puck on net when Hershey hasn't done that too often this year. He also had a few lackluster effort moments and some questionable decisions that opened up 2 on 1s and some potential 2 on 1s that Bridgeport on Friday didn't execute well. Some respected former players made similar comments that he needs to keep working on those things as he can recover at times at the AHL level but won't be able to at the NHL level. Maybe getting regular playing time will help.
My problem is that the Hershey fans really nitpick the shit out of Bowey's game. I haven't seen a lot of your posts so I assumed you were in that crowd that does nothing but throw shade at him, so my apologies.

He missed a ton of key development time last year. He was playing well at the beginning of last year until the freak injury happened. I'll admit he made mistakes and needed work but that can be said for 3/4s of Hershey's defense this season as well. They are young prospects but Hersey fans seem to think every Capitals D prospect needs to be at the same level as John Carlson/Mike Green/Karl Alzner were at when they were in Hershey.

Bowey needs to play and it definitely was the right move sending him down. I thought his game was solid Saturday night as he was one of the few D who actually stood out, especially offensively.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
What's the benefit from Gersich's point of view of becoming a free agent. Certainly his ELC will be standard and while he gets to pick his spot he has probably as best a chance here as anywhere at making the main roster. I understand when guys become FA because they want to play on a great team or they see playing chances as being better elsewhere, I don't see the benefit for him in this situation though.

If he can't make our roster he can't make most rosters.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I try to sign Gersich right now. Tell him we have a roster spot open for him with Kuzy injured and tell him we have multiple forward spots open next year with Beagle, Chiasson, and DSP all out of contract.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Gersich isn't good enough to warrant a guaranteed roster spot. He's probably worth keeping as a black ace, but not more than that for this season.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Looks like Pinho is going to test FA.

Little update on Gersich. Not much to go on but also mentions Pinho.

Pronman also speculates Pinho to test FA via his article on The Athletic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad