Prospect Info: Capitals Prospects and Minor League Affiliates (Hershey Bears, SC Stingrays) - 2014-18

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapInSask

Jan 22, 2014
Moose Jaw, Sask
Ross Mahoney comments on Samsonov, still a year away from the NHL. https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/washington-capitals

Still a year away from North America. The distinction implies he could spend time in the AHL even after he hops the Atlantic.

I have 0 issue with continuing to let him develop overseas. It's not like Holtby is going anywhere soon.

Siegenthaler's an interesting case - he played in Europe last year for family reasons, so it's hard to say what level his play is at. The club loves him, though, and I'd not be surprised if he got some games this season.

Agreed. His play at WJC last year was very good on an over-achieving Swiss team. Could see him get regular NHL time as soon as 2018/19, with a few games sprinkled in this coming season. Could be an AHL all-star next year.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Middle six LW if all goes right, assuming he signs.

Jonsson Fjallby at 3LW for Sweden vs. USA on NHLN/TSN momentarily.

This is the only thing that worries me about him. I hope GMBM goes above and beyond to sign him.

Make no mistake though, Gersich is a good prospect. He is very fast and can handle the puck well. He is small and isn't going to go in the corners much but he is a perfect example of the "new style" NHL player, super fast and shifty with the puck.

I hope the day UND's season ends the Caps sign him and let him play in the NHL.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
so any chance that tim mcgualey plays in hershey this year? two years removed from that 42 goal/63 assist season in whl and was injured most of last year

any real chance for him?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
so any chance that tim mcgualey plays in hershey this year? two years removed from that 42 goal/63 assist season in whl and was injured most of last year

any real chance for him?
I doubt it. He doesn't have all that many forwards to pass for now but he's more likely an AHL injury call-up at best. He didn't exactly light it up in the ECHL last year so he needs to stay healthy and dominate there first.

Kristian Roykas Marthinsen tied for the scoring lead in a recent U20 tournament, albeit including the likes of Hungary and Austria. He tied in scoring with his center Mathias Emilio Pettersen, a 2018 prospect that may be worth keeping tabs on. He'll play for Muskegon in the USHL this season and is a Denver commit. The two were linemates last spring at the U18 B pool tournament as well. He could be a decent late first, early-to-mid second center prospect.

(Another familiar name on that scoring list being Arnaud Riat, Damien's brother who was first-time draft-eligible this past draft.)

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Walfridsson is with MODO in the Allsvenskan
Marthinsen is with Altuma IS in the J20 Elit
Fjallby is with Djurgardens IF in the SHL (1 assist in 1 game played)
Geisser is with EV Zug in the NLA (0 points, -3 in 5 games played)

Capagonia

Oct 20, 2009
VA
Is there anywhere to find TOI for AHL games? Can't seem to find the info for Hershey's most recent game on The AHL or Hershey site. I'm interested to see how Mann is running this D. I was hoping he would go with all kids for the sake of their development but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Jeremy Morin washed up former second round pick signed with South Carolina after being released from his KHL contract for "not being good enough" :laugh:

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Pretty good start for RD Benton Maass of UNH, particularly considering his jump from USHS/NAHL to NCAA hockey. He has three assists in three games.

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017/10/9/16444660/new-look-unh-wildcats-sweep-umass-lowell
Assistant coaches Mike Souza and Glenn Stewart recruited three new defensemen, including NHL Draft picks Max Gildon and Benton Maass, both of whom played key roles in the weekend sweep. Gildon and Maass help UNH improve its size and mobility on the blue line.

“They played very well. We put them out in key situations and they handled it extremely well,” said Umile....

Maass had an assist each night. The sixth round selection of the Washington Capitals is somewhat of a late bloomer, playing high school hockey until the end of last season when he joined Fairbanks in the NAHL. Maass showed off his mobility and ability to jump into the offense when he carried the puck in back of the attacking goal and sending a pass out to Liam Blackburn for the team’s first goal Saturday.

“Those two definitely don’t feel like freshmen. They’ve come in here and shown that they’re mature beyond their years,” Wyse complimented.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Maass helps mobilize Wildcats defense:
As is the case with most good players, Maass tries to watch film of himself and study NHL defensemen to better his own game. One player he keeps close tabs on is Los Angeles Kings captain Drew Doughty.

“I like watching Drew Doughty highlights. I try to model my game after him. He’s a steady two-way guy. He’s in the right place at the right time. He makes the easy plays as well as being able to jump into the rush, but he’s always solid defensively,” Maass said.
His five assists in four games leads NCAA freshmen defensemen.

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
"Forward Beck Malenstyn is out of the Hitmen lineup for an indefinite period of time after sustaining a wrist injury during Calgary’s 5-4 road loss to the Saskatoon Blades"

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hey guys. First time posting in a looonnnng time. It’s been a super busy summer for me and it’s actually been refreshing being away and stepping back from following the Caps/Bears as much as I have in the past.

Anyway, the Bears currently are not a good team. That’s not saying it’s a lost season, but they need to grow up quick for them to have any shot this year. A lot of that has to do with a very inexperienced blue line, both Vitek and Copley being out, and a ton of new faces. I won’t be surprised if this is a year when Hershey/Washington make some minor league moves to help bolster the team.

The defense has been atrocious. That’s expected though with 3-4 rookies playing a night. The most experienced player back there is Labrie. The D is definitely missing Ness for his leadership and his puck moving skills. The team also needs to stop taking penalties.

It could be a long year

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Anyway, the Bears currently are not a good team. That’s not saying it’s a lost season, but they need to grow up quick for them to have any shot this year. A lot of that has to do with a very inexperienced blue line, both Vitek and Copley being out, and a ton of new faces. I won’t be surprised if this is a year when Hershey/Washington make some minor league moves to help bolster the team.

Is there an update on Copleys injury? Seems like nothing anywhere about it after a really promising year last year.

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

The defense has been atrocious. That’s expected though with 3-4 rookies playing a night. The most experienced player back there is Labrie. The D is definitely missing Ness for his leadership and his puck moving skills. The team also needs to stop taking penalties.

It could be a long year

This sounds exactly like the big club with the exception of D injury vs goalie injury. Organizational struggles it seems. Hopefully Copley and Vanacek are back soon because Milner is not good enough to be a AHL goaltender.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Hey guys. First time posting in a looonnnng time. It’s been a super busy summer for me and it’s actually been refreshing being away and stepping back from following the Caps/Bears as much as I have in the past.

It could be a long year

So injuries plaguing a team very inexperienced and thin on Defense, and taking way too many penalties? Sounds like the caps.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Axel Jonsson Fjallby with two goals in his last three SHL games. He seems on track to make Sweden's WJC team.

Maass had three assists last night, bringing him back on top among freshmen D in scoring with nine points in seven games. Only three D total have more points in the early going.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Hershey exits the weekend with 2 out of 3 wins and their only loss was at WBS on friday night (3-2). I was at the game Saturday night but not Sunday so my notes will reflect what I saw on Saturday against Providence, who leads the division.

-GOALIES: Milner was in goal. Made some solid saves but his lateral movement is so slow. Apparently Copley is due to come back next weekend barring any setbacks. Both Copley and Vanecek were skating and taking shots this week. Not entirely sure on their injuries but I expect one of Milner/Carlson to be sent down this week sometime.

-DEFENSE: Hobbs, Williams, and Siegenthaler looked great in the game I was watching. Williams is such a good skater and is actually decently physical for a smaller-ish guy. Hobbs QBed the first PP unit and scored his first professional goal on a nice slap shot from the point that went through some traffic. I really like Hobbs so far and he has progressed the quickest out of the young D so far. I will try to pay attention to his skating/positioning next time I'm out at the rink.

Johansen is another story. He didn't seem to get a ton of minutes, however this was a wonky game that had a ton of special teams play. He made a bad turnover that lead to Providence's 2nd goal of the night. He made an errant and weak pass right to the Providence forward who walked into the zone and started the play that led to the goal. Johansen is geting PP2 time for the time being but that unit didn't get a ton of ice time so not much to go off of. Johansen ended up getting his 1st professional goal on Sunday.

Siegenthaler has a nice little mean streak in him. He can sneakily hit people pretty hard and it's almost like opposing forwards don't expect it. He finally seems to be adjusting to the NA game and played very well in the game I watched. The only negative was positioning when an opposing forward entered the zone. He tried a few hip checks that didn't connect which led to odd man rushes

-FORWARDS: Boyd and Barber were great on the 1st PP unit. Boyd is the first line guy and played his normal role. Great creative play, not afraid to go after the puck into the corners, etc. I was surprised that Peluso was the call up before Boyd and Barber.

Bau and Gustaffson played sparingly saturday night. Both are very very big human beings but the foot speed is what kills them. I don't know a lot about Bau, but I'm assuming it's been somewhat of an adjustment to play on the smaller rinks. He definitely needs to add weight to his frame because he seemed to get pushed around a lot. Also, he seemed to take short shifts so conditioning doesn't seem the greatest. Troy Mann has really shuffled those bottom 2 lines so it's tough for these guys to get any type of chemistry going.

LOB is getting PP1 ice time and had 2 goals on the weekend. The Bears are a better team when he avoids the pest role and plays hard in front of the net.

Reactions: CapitalsCupFantasy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->