Capitals Owner/Teemu Sellane on ESPNews

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by Whalerfan11, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Whalerfan11

Whalerfan11 Registered User

Capitals Owner/Teemu Selanne on ESPNews

Around 4 pm on ESPNews today they had on Caps owner Ted Leonsis. He was asked about the Penguins situation and what other owners think about the whole thing. He said basically that everyone knows the Penguins ownership will be ok no matter where they end up. Leonsis is just worried about the fans and the city of Pittsburgh. When asked what city he thinks should have a NHL franchise that doesn't right now he named Seattle, KC, Vegas, and said maybe a few Canadien cities could have 2 teams.

Leonsis also stated that the NHL needs to fix its products in the cities they are currently in. And that they need to get more of a television presence. He applauded the NHLs online presence and acknowledged that the majority of hockey fans very internet savy.

Teemu Selanne was on immediately afterwards with Barry Melrose and he had a fun interview. I guess Teemu was a kindergarten teacher in Finland before he came to the NHL!? They were having a good time with that one in the interview. Teemu said his favorite player to play with ever is Kariya.

Overall it was a great job by ESPNews to have 20 straight minutes of hockey interviews. Interesting stuff.

2. Whalerfan11

Whalerfan11 Registered User

Now they have Marian Hossa on...lots of hockey today!

He likes playing in Atlanta because he can get away from the game. Something that could not have happened in Ottawa he says.

3. GKJ

GKJ Global Moderator

They also talked WJC's

4. 8BostonRocker24

8BostonRocker24 Registered User

Engineering Manager
    ESPN and ESPNEWS do a lot of work on Thursday about/for Hockey/The NHL. It's their 'Hockey Night' program. They run highlights and keep fans updated on scores throughout the night.

The Bruins really push Thursday nights here in Boston with all kinds of special offers, such as Student Night. Half Price tickets with a Student ID.
    I don't know what other clubs do, but I have a feeling The NHL is trying to push it's sport on Thursdays, and it seems that ESPN is trying to help.

5. Pepper

Pepper Registered User

I wonder if ESPN will show Selanne doing his IndyCar debut later this season, Ducks owners gave Selanne a nice present for his 1000th NHL-game knowing Selanne is a car/racing freak.