Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Lightning, 7:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Hey is our 3rd pair bad? ;). Feels like 6/7 pages of the GDT thread was ‘the third pair suck!’. I think I got it, but just in case please repeat 47 times in each GDT. Maybe Trotz will get the message. Lol...

Trotz and company are clearly going to give guys some time to work things out, but ooof, worst pair since Ovy Year 1.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I can't tell if Ness stinks because of Chorney or Chorney stinks because of Ness. Chorney as always seemed pretty steady to me, so I think its Ness.

Anyway, bad game, except for second line. Got a point, move on.

Also, it is so repetitive to keep saying, but GET BOWEY UP HERE!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ness played under 9:00. They wont last like that very long. Orpik, Carlson and Niskanen will wear out and out and Orlov will breakdown

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
If its any consolation, Isabelle just tweeted that she's working on a story about how terrible the Chorney-Ness pairing is.

Not saying an article in WaPo is going to force Trotz's hand all on its own. Buuut, when a story goes from fan griping to journalist griping, it does give that griping more exposure, and creates a much bigger call/demand for change in the public view.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Trotz has to change the D pairings. He's not blind, he can see we're bleeding scoring chances against when 55-4 is on the ice. He said he'd give Djoos some ice time eventually. Well now is the time.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Trotz has to change the D pairings. He's not blind, he can see we're bleeding scoring chances against when 55-4 is on the ice. He said he'd give Djoos some ice time eventually. Well now is the time.
I think we know they're not going to do anything but hold on to their butts against Pittsburgh. After Wilson returns...who knows.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

You don't want Chorney or Ness or maybe even Djoos on the ice when 2-9 are not on the ice. that's why they play so little. two good pairs is better than 1 good pair

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
You don't want Chorney or Ness or maybe even Djoos on the ice when 2-9 are not on the ice. that's why they play so little. two good pairs is better than 1 good pair

Are you saying we should split up 2 and 9 to have them carry a guy?

I think we know they're not going to do anything but hold on to their butts against Pittsburgh. After Wilson returns...who knows.

Pittsburgh is shallow defensively, Cole is injured.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Are you saying we should split up 2 and 9 to have them carry a guy

no. I am saying if you split up Chorney and Ness one of them is always on the ice except when Niskanen and Orlov are. Chorney getting 2nd pair minutes makes them worse than overplaying the top 2 pairs and trying to hide the 3rd pair. I am also not confident that Chorney is going to be the kind of partner you want playing with a prospect. But beggers cant be choosers

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Playing TOP4 24+ minutes per game for 82 games, and then hope that they won't run out of gas during postseason??

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Barry could roll his bottom pair with his best defensive forwards.

I think he is waiting to unleash the debutante Djoos after Pitt. Bummer, as I was interesting in seeing how he would hold up in what will likely be our most physical game in the foreseeable future. Reaves at ramming speed looking to revenge a Wilson truck is his worst nightmare.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Playing TOP4 24+ minutes per game for 82 games, and then hope that they won't run out of gas during postseason??

Its unsustainable particularly where Orpik is concerned. The only thing I am hoping for is that Trotz is trying to get thru these early road heavy games before they work in the young players. I can imagine that Trotz is trying to avoid the start they would get if they got lit up in these 8 early road games. They have play Orpik 22 mins for 10 games but not much more

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Barry could roll his bottom pair with his best defensive forwards.

I think he is waiting to unleash the debutante Djoos after Pitt. Bummer, as I was interesting in seeing how he would hold up in what will likely be our most physical game in the foreseeable future. Reaves at ramming speed looking to revenge a Wilson truck is his worst nightmare.

If he used his best shutdown forwards to cover for a shaky 3rd pair, who is checking the opposing offensive forces? would you really want this 3rd pair against Crosby tomorrow night?

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
How about this?

Orlov-Niskanen
Djoos-Carlson
Orpik-Bowey
I'd be worried about the bottom 2 pairings. Carlson isn't great on D and Djoos will be worse. I'd be tempted to switch Djoos and Bowey there. Bit more size with Carlson, and a bit more defensive D with Djoos

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
How about this?

Orlov-Niskanen
Djoos-Carlson
Orpik-Bowey

would you want to play the penguins in Pittsburgh with them getting the last change with a green rookie on two pairs? I think you do that if you don't care if you lose. Ideally, you can protect them at home better and you only play one of them at a time.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'd be worried about the bottom 2 pairings. Carlson isn't great on D and Djoos will be worse. I'd be tempted to switch Djoos and Bowey there. Bit more size with Carlson, and a bit more defensive D with Djoos

Carlson's defense is fine. Remember his role on the team though. If you pair him with a rookie, he pulls his offensive game back and plays d first.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
would you want to play the penguins in Pittsburgh with them getting the last change with a green rookie on two pairs? I think you do that if you don't care if you lose. Ideally, you can protect them at home better and you only play one of them at a time.

Our D sucks and our green rookies will continue to be green rookies if we don't play them with the vets. Orpik is paid for playing defense, bringing leadership and for being a mentor to the young D. It's his job to make the rookies comfortable on defense. Sure, you might have a few losses because of it but in the long run, the rookies gain experience and learn valuable lessons. Playing 2nd pairing and 3rd pairing minutes alongside vets like Carlson and Orpik isn't exactly throwing them to the wolves.

Pittsburgh will abuse our D no matter what. Hell, they can abuse Orlov and Niskanen if they want to.

If it's just inverting them, fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->