Rumor: Capitals goalie Ilya Samsonov coming to America, will sign after April 30th (first day he can sign)

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Grubauer needs a new deal, they won't be able to afford both anyways. They could still sign a solid backup after moving one of their two guys
I don't think grubauer would get a huge deal just because he had one great season as the backup. He could do terrible in the playoffs. He is also 25 so he has 2 years of control left so it's not like he is gonna sign a long term deal that's gonna pay him past him ufa years.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The Caps aren't going to be able to afford Holtby and Grubauer back next year. That became true as soon as Grubauer became their starter in all but name down the stretch, and thrived. The strong numbers from Grubauer in his contract year are going to see him get paid. He is a RFA making $1.5M.

Definitely true, but they also need to flip a goalie for assets. It's their only organizational position of strength. The forward prospect pool is awful. They have a lot of D prospects, but no blue chippers. Between Holtby/Gruby and Samsonov they hopefully have G locked down for the next 10 years even after a trade, but they need a new wave of prospects at other positions.

Alan Wake

It's not a loop, it's a spiral.
Dec 14, 2017
Carolina should be all over Holtbeast.

Buffalo too. Especially if they have both Rasmus'.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
this guy hasn't even played a game on north american ice. imo theres a very high chance he starts in the minors and the caps keep both grubauer and holtby for next season
The Capitals have a few other goaltending prospects that could step into a backup role.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Is Samsonov willing to start in the AHL? I could see there being an AHL-exempt clause if he feels he deserves to be in the NHL since he's already a backup in the KHL and would most likely make more money in the KHL over the AHL.
I doubt he'd come over to play in the AHL. I'm sure the Caps have made it clear he's got a spot next season. I think Holtby is as good as gone.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Like who?
Copley & Vanecek could battle for a backup spot. Both promising prospects who have been in the minors for a few years now. And Samsonov has the talent to play in the NHL next year. So... no, your prediction of the Caps keeping both 70 & 31 is wrong.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Is Samsonov willing to start in the AHL? I could see there being an AHL-exempt clause if he feels he deserves to be in the NHL since he's already a backup in the KHL and would most likely make more money in the KHL over the AHL.

I doubt he'd come over to play in the AHL. I'm sure the Caps have made it clear he's got a spot next season. I think Holtby is as good as gone.

Ilya Samsonov eyes backup role with Capitals next season, open to playing in AHL

I expect Grubauer to end up being traded and one of Copley or Vanecek backs up Holtby next year. The other of Copley/Vanecek splits starts with Samsonov in Hershey.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Will some team be interested to get Hotlby?
many teams need a number 1 goalie.

NYI , CANES , CGY , EDM could use one Talbot is allright but hes a UFA not this year but next. SENS , COL , Blues as well maybe? Allens been going down last 2 years and i dont know how much longer they will ride out Hutton Hes turning 33. LOTS AND LOTS of team will be interested if a name like holtby comes up He will fetch a late 1st and a 2'd probably like noted above goalies just dont return well for what ever reason.

Reactions: shtorm2005

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Would be funny to see Holtby go to Colorado and take Varlamov’s starting job AGAIN.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
many teams need a number 1 goalie.

NYI , CANES , CGY , EDM could use one Talbot is allright but hes a UFA not this year but next. SENS , COL , Blues as well maybe? Allens been going down last 2 years and i dont know how much longer they will ride out Hutton Hes turning 33. LOTS AND LOTS of team will be interested if a name like holtby comes up He will fetch a late 1st and a 2'd probably like noted above goalies just dont return well for what ever reason.

Bolded definitely wont be in the market for a goalie with Talbot and Smith.

And the Sens will not be going out to get Holtby with Anderson and Condon still on payroll. Maybe in another years time when those guys come off but even then I doubt Melnyk is a guy who's going to spend 5-6M+ on a #1G, that a position he can fill with mediocrity for much cheaper which is right up his alley.

I dont think there's a lot of suitors for a #1G right now around the league and because of that the Caps will struggle to get good value for whatever goalie they opt to move.

Islanders and Canes are the obvious two in need of help fast. Buffalo and Detroit are another two that will need a starter and dont have quality options within right now. After that, Colorado, St. Louis, Philly, San Jose, Vancouver are other wild card teams that could have interest as well for different reasons. Avs, Sharks, and Blues for example have a decent 1A/1B combo now but health and consistency concerns for both could lead them to be interested in Holtby. Philly and Vancouver could use the upgrade to Holtby now but both have elite goalie prospects in the system that are probably 1-2 years away and so they may have interest in Holtby but also maybe just as happy to be patient and wait for the kids to continue coming along and developing.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Would be funny to see Holtby go to Colorado and take Varlamov’s starting job AGAIN.

but varlamov was avs starting goalie in 2011-12

holtby didnt start as goalie until 2012-13

neuvirth was the goalie who took varlamov job

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Trade Holtby to Calgary for Brodie to replace Carlson if he leaves
Sign a Niemi/ Halak type vet to a cheap 1 year deal so Samsonov can start in the AHL and get a bunch of games in
Evaluate at Christmas whether you can dump your vet to bring up Samsonov
If its not working out panic and trade Kuznetsov to Montreal in case that helps

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
but varlamov was avs starting goalie in 2011-12

holtby didnt start as goalie until 2012-13

neuvirth was the goalie who took varlamov job

Hockeydb says Holtby started all 14 playoff games for the caps in 11-12 so you could kind of make that argument?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad