Rumor: Capitals goalie Ilya Samsonov coming to America, will sign after April 30th (first day he can sign)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
gonna be interesting to see what they do with Holtby and Grub. If Grub holds well in the POs, along with the cap savings from moving Holtby and extending Grub, they should definitely explore a trade for Holtby

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Was going to say Holtby wouldn't return much due to his contract but for some reason thought he was making over 8 for many years.

This is quite a good problem for Washington either one of Holtby or Grubauer will return a 1st+ imo

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Someone is going to be disappointed. The return for goalies is never near expected.

hard to be disappointed when I'm not a Caps fan and don't really care if they give him away for free. How many 28 year old top 5 in the league goalies go on the market? The market for fringe goalies tend to be pretty shit. With 3 or 4 teams being a starter away from a playoff team or potential contender I think someone will pony up for Holtby. Especially seeing how the Jets turned it around so quickly from last year(ok team just missing the playoffs) to this(cup contender) just by getting competent goaltending for once.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
this guy hasn't even played a game on north american ice. imo theres a very high chance he starts in the minors and the caps keep both grubauer and holtby for next season

More likely that he does start in the minors but one of Grub or Holtby is moved for pieces imo, especially if Grub goes for a nice run this playoff.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
More likely that he does start in the minors but one of Grub or Holtby is moved for pieces imo, especially if Grub goes for a nice run this playoff.
that wouldn't make any sense though. why weaken your goaltending position for no reason? i highly doubt they get a defender for one of holtby/grubauer

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
that wouldn't make any sense though. why weaken your goaltending position for no reason? i highly doubt they get a defender for one of holtby/grubauer

Goalie controversies generally haven't been the best approach either though. You want your starter to be the starter.

Last edited:

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The Caps aren't going to be able to afford Holtby and Grubauer back next year. That became true as soon as Grubauer became their starter in all but name down the stretch, and thrived. The strong numbers from Grubauer in his contract year are going to see him get paid. He is a RFA making $1.5M.

The Caps will play both of their goaltenders in the playoffs, keep the one whose performance they like best, trade the other for whatever the market will bear, and Samsonov will back up their starter next season. Yet there isn't a scenario in which they carry $10M+ in goaltending next year.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think if Holtby gets the Caps far in the playoffs, they'll keep him and Samsonov. If they are a first round exit, it may be time to rebuild and just roll with Grubauer and Samsonov in net next season.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I think if Holtby gets the Caps far in the playoffs, they'll keep him and Samsonov. If they are a first round exit, it may be time to rebuild and just roll with Grubauer and Samsonov in net next season.

holtby isnt the playoff goalie for game 1. grubauer is

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
I feel like Holtby still has very good value around the league. He has awesome career numbers and is still quite young for a goalie. If Grubauer has a good showing this playoffs, allocating Holtby's salary somewhere else in the lineup could be a smart move.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Avs want in on this.

Holtby for Kamanev, NSH 2nd, and Varlamov (can help his follow russian IIya adapt to life in NA).

Or Samsonov for 2019 1st (which ever is lower of Avs and Sens) :naughty:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Avs want in on this.

Holtby for Kamanev, NSH 2nd, and Varlamov (can help his follow russian IIya adapt to life in NA).

Or Samsonov for 2019 1st (which ever is lower of Avs and Sens) :naughty:

If they are trading a goalie, why are they getting a goalie back?

Especially when caps have orlov, Kuznetsov and ovechkin

Reactions: Nifty Willy

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Is Samsonov willing to start in the AHL? I could see there being an AHL-exempt clause if he feels he deserves to be in the NHL since he's already a backup in the KHL and would most likely make more money in the KHL over the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad