Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Flyers, 7:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
What the hell is Ness doing on the NHL? Bowey was terrible too but atleast the potential (and the first game) factor is there. Ness is terrible, always has been, and he doesn't have the potential to be NHL player.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
the good thing about this season so far is that we already know the overall concept of the team. the top guns need to work it out while hoping the unexperienced defense + holtby holds the opponent.
at least they are not pretending anymore.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
this is remarkable. it was ONE GAME. So many here wanted to see Djoos and Bowey in the lineup. At some point you were going to get Djoos and Bowey with one of the other 4 out of the lineup. Well, there you go. It should get better but if you were wondering why Trotz was going 1 step at a time......

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What the hell is Ness doing on the NHL? Bowey was terrible too but atleast the potential (and the first game) factor is there. Ness is terrible, always has been, and he doesn't have the potential to be NHL player.

Ness is an 8 on a team where the 1 is injured. Something appears to be wrong with the 7 and the 5 and 6 are not quite nhl ready yet. He is Jamie Heward or Bryan Muir

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
this is remarkable. it was ONE GAME. So many here wanted to see Djoos and Bowey in the lineup. At some point you were going to get Djoos and Bowey with one of the other 4 out of the lineup. Well, there you go. It should get better but if you were wondering why Trotz was going 1 step at a time......

Spot on.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
the good thing about this season so far is that we already know the overall concept of the team. the top guns need to work it out while hoping the unexperienced defense + holtby holds the opponent.
at least they are not pretending anymore.

That was clarified prior to camp for me. Top-6/top-4 and Holtby are it in terms of generating success.

The rest are playing “survive minutes” as someone else put it.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Ness is an 8 on a team where the 1 is injured. Something appears to be wrong with the 7 and the 5 and 6 are not quite nhl ready yet. He is Jamie Heward or Bryan Muir
It's really not just depth guys that are the problem, though. Their supposed #2 is often a lazy moron, their #3 is playing significantly more minutes than he ever has and their #4 is a long overrated and over-the-hill player.

I have no idea how Chorney hasn't gotten back into the lineup over Ness. There's nothing so wrong with his game that makes him worse than Ness, a player that from my recollection with Hershey has little RD experience anyway. I have no idea what they see in him that suggests he's going to become adequate. As much as he may be a decent straight line skater, his mobility is very questionable for a player with his size. Combine that with a shorter wingspan and it's a routine recipe for positional disaster.

But the overall concern IMO is that every blueliner has to step up and the main guys were already struggling even when Niskanen was in the lineup. The b2b made it worse but I don't know that their supposed leaders are going to elevate their game where it needs to be. I certainly don't think they're capable of each playing 25+ minutes a night but even in the 22ish range for Orlov and Orpik may be pushing it. So they've perhaps not just overstated the quality of their depth but also, more crucially, their ability to get away with being top-heavy.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Bowey has an excuse for playing poorly in his first NHL game ever. Chorney is better than Ness, they need to get him the hell out of the lineup already.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Bowey has an excuse for playing poorly in his first NHL game ever. Chorney is better than Ness, they need to get him the hell out of the lineup already.

Not only first game but not a single practice with his partner or even a morning skate.

Agree about Ness, its not just that he isn't that good, it's that he looks lost out there positionally. He should be immediately waived when Niskanen returns, if not sooner.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
I hope they don't give up on Bowey! Remember Provorov had -5 night last year at the beginning of the season. Now he's their 1D. I saw a lot of positives from him this game. His first pass was good. Rather go through adversity now than later. Kuznetsov's line bleeded goals against. That's a preview of playoffs when opposition knows how neutralize him and he's not only ineffective, but also his wingers not knowing how to play without a puck. He needs to grow his game, do what Backstrom does. Unfortunately we won't have the secondary scoring, if they want to go far, it's up to big guns. They need to be monstrous

Reactions: DDRhockey

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
DML0dPZWkAEoQ0g.jpg

This is going to get ugly without Niskanen.

The best xGF team is Toronto and we're playing them next.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
It was more Beagle's fault than Ovi's. Ovi was defending on one of their D, Giroux was Beagle's man.

I don't understand how Carlson finished the night with only -1.

The D were at their level. And when the F can't have a hatty or a 4pt game night and your backup goalie can't stand on his head the whole 60 minutes (like in Tampa), it will be definitely a loss.

It's already the second goal that we conceed while on PP. Can't happen. The game was over after this goal and the 3rd one (btw a bs call from the refs)

It looks like this season for me will be like the first ones of Ovi era. The individual stats (of Ovi, Nicky, Kuzya) will matter more than the result.

edit: I like the first shift of the 3rd period by Trotz, when I saw Connolly and not Burakovsky with 19 and 77. But then I was a little be surprised to see 39 instead of 13. WHY BARRY?? I want to see 8-92-13 for the whole year together.
65-20-13 could be a very good line, 3 fast guys, but it seems like everything he(65) does this year, it's worth only an F mark.
Carlson was only on the ice for 2 of Philly's goals and he was on the ice for one of our goals. Carlson played awful early on but did play better as the game went on. His early mistakes lead to a couple of goals which magnified his poor play. As bad as Carlson was he wasn't our worst dman. The only dman that vdidnt really get exploited in that game was Djoos. He has surprised me a bit.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I think pretty much all Caps fans agree that seeing Bowey and Djoos (and Djoos hasn't even) f*** up and learn is better than watching Chorness f*** up for no reason. It just feels better.

At least they have a few days to practice now.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Far be it from me to stand in the way of a txMD diagnosis, but this is the same coaching and management group that had Ness playing over Djoos initially.
AFAIK the only thing Trotz has said about Chorney recently is that he struggled on the right side and needed a reset, suggesting it's his preference and nothing medical. If it was you'd think there would have been something mentioned from practices or a recall if need be if he's truly unavailable.

The Ness situation is just incomprehensible.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Far be it from me to stand in the way of a txMD diagnosis, but this is the same coaching and management group that had Ness playing over Djoos initially.

Trotz just said something cryptic about Chorney the first of the games he scratched. That he continues to miss suggests there is more to it than meets the eye.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think pretty much all Caps fans agree that seeing Bowey and Djoos (and Djoos hasn't even) **** up and learn is better than watching Chorness **** up for no reason. It just feels better.

At least they have a few days to practice now.

Would you rather win with Chorney or lose with Bowey?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Lose with Bowey. We're going to make the playoffs anyway, might as well give the kids a bit of practice. I don't think subbing Chorney for Bowey is the difference between winning and losing anyway.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia

Easy. Win with Chorney and Bowey! :P

Actually, both Orpik and Orlov are in danger of getting injured too if nothing changes. And... what could change? I don't see Siege and LuJo getting up now. Defense is in tough spot.

Holtby has to save the day every day and then some more.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY

"Chorney" and "win" do not belong in the same sentence. I do think he's a tad better than Ness though. But that's like choosing to eat a caterpillar rather than a roach even though they're both fried.

Bowey will bounce back. He has to!!! :scared:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
False dichotomy

No. This assumes that Djoos is playing. One of Bowey, Ness or Chorney plays when the group is healthy.

Lose with Bowey. We're going to make the playoffs anyway, might as well give the kids a bit of practice. I don't think subbing Chorney for Bowey is the difference between winning and losing anyway.

How far behind in the playoff race are you willing to go to get them game reps? With Niskanen out for 10 or 20 games how are we so sure that the playoffs are in the bag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->