Post-Game Talk: Capitals @ Flyers, 7:00

Status
Not open for further replies.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
Ok, we couldn't buy a goal. I knew it would hard to play back-to-back, especially with Nisky out, but hoped Flyers are still suck. Guess, they are not. Welcome to NHL, Bowey!

Reactions: troyerlaw

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
takeaways:
Ness and Chiasson should never wear a caps jersey again
Like we actually need to start waiving some guys
Bowey needs to be re-assigned to hershey within the next 3 minutes
Burakovsky needs to watch some games from the press box
Djoos was our best defensman
I hope Carlson gets traded at the deadline no matter how good/bad we are
Walker should be a regular in the lineup
Barber/Boyd and Johansen should get a look

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Ok, we couldn't buy a goal.

This too.

We had some wide-open chances where shooter couldnt even put it on net. One of those nights where most of opponent’s chances went in, and none of ours did.

But also, right from the get-go, the Flyers just looked like they wanted it more. A lot more.

Hitting has vanished from our game.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
This game has all the offensive hallmarks of Trotz. Short of outstanding individual plays by guys like Kuz and Backstrom, there’s precious little purposeful passing and movement in the offensive zone.

While some may site Kuz’s development as proof Trotz can develop young forwards, I don’t see it that way at all. I think guys who are supremely talented will have success no matter what. It’s the Burakovskis, Vranas, and Wilsons who need confidence coming from some measure of offensive structure and organized creativity. Really it could extend to Hershey as well, the organization as a whole is not developing forwards.

While I don’t think we are doing anything to speak of this season, I still think there’s value in firing Trotz...namely to better develop these young guys.

Reactions: RandyHolt

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
He shouldn’t overreact but I guess he will. Just put in Chorney for Ness and call it a day. No need to shuffle everything up yet. Maybe give Djoos more ice time.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
What a stinker. Leafs coming up Tuesday, so it will be a real test for the young guys.

It will, but they will have a day of practice on Monday and that will help.

Def need Walker back in just to help match speed with the Leafs. Chorney, just because he won't take chances, in for Ness and we call it a day.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I always knew karmic revenge was coming for my attendance at the Carcillo 9 minute PP game and the bracelet game. But it sucks when it actually happens.

Btw that karmic revenge is this shitty cover band at xfinity live, not the game

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
While I don’t think we are doing anything to speak of this season, I still think there’s value in firing Trotz...namely to better develop these young guys.
Interesting point. Who's available that you think is a good fit for that gig? I'm not up on the AHL coaches and you obviously don't want Mann, so who's out there?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
I suppose it's better to have all flaws exposed in blowouts than to somehow get away with putting lipstick on live bacon for a season.

Damn, I was trying to think what other thoughts I could contribute about this game and the Caps in general.. and I am just coming up empty. The Caps are a Zen experience that defies verbalization :)

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Back home, some thoughts.

Hard to find many (or any) bright spots from this game. But you can't bench a whole team. I guess DSP was okay, and Ovechkin didn't really have any decisive negative moments I noticed (although you expect more from your superstar than neutral levels of play). Vrana had a couple sparks (and a goal), but matched that with some turnover and poor passes. Chiasson wasn't terrible, and was more than willing to cover defensively when a D pinched.

But overall the team was shit. Too many passes a foot away from where they needed to be. Carlson overstretching an open Vrana across the neutral zone and Vrana diving for the puck aimlessly was the epitome of the night. The Caps only answer for the Flyers' neutral zone structure was stretch passes and trying to attack the weakside wing. It only worked like two or three times all game. Just pitiful execution all around.

In terms of negative highlights, wtf John Carlson. Easily the worst Capital tonight, especially when compared to his utilization and ice time. A bunch of garbage turnovers, brainfarts, and poor positioning. The Capitals likely have too many bloated contracts as it is, and I have a very hard time justifying giving another one to JC74 (regardless of what happens to Orpik's $5.5M). Grubauer was hung out to dry a lot early, but also missed a few he should have stopped (and not just that abomination of a dive on the SH goal ).

Reactions: RandyHolt

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Caps are either gonna have to run-and-gun or start playing extremely physical to wear down other teams.
I see no other way.
bbxo_f-maxage-0.gif

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
@Hivemind, i thought ovie was awful. Show some leadership and hustle and help on the backcheck. In third period, there was a Cap playing like a captain, but it wasn’t #8.

Twice Oshie broke up good chances with really strong, committed backcheck. Ovie’s final shift, the one where Giroux scored, was abysmal. 3 caps got beat to the 50-50 puck by giroux.

At least Ness , oshie, and djoos were skating hard.

65 was trying hard too, but seems to have lost his confidence with the puck right now. Giveaways in all three zones, soft play along the boards, just tentative and second-guessing himself.

Carlson, in the 1st period, was dreadful.

Grubs didn’t play well either. Last two goals were stoppable, and he didn’t cover himself in glory on the shortie either.

Only 1 game, but pretty embarrassing all the way around. Forwards needed to do more to help out this young D corps.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
I’m starting to get on the trade Carlson bandwagon. He could bring a healthy return at the deadline. It should be pretty clear to everyone that this team is not going to the ECFs. Really don’t want to lose him for nothing.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Somehow Djoos finished even and with a 66.7% Corsi%. Quietly pretty effective.

The thing that sticks out is how much worse the bottom six is now that they're a weaker possession team from the back-end. That group has hardly any rhythm and isn't establishing much of an effective forecheck. I've liked some of DSP's game and some of Eller at times but it's not an overly smart or skilled group. Burakovsky may actually belong there the way he thinks and executes but they don't really have anyone deserving of replacing him. Maybe Trotz likes their 'consistency' but it's a group that should at least forecheck more effectively. It's only two games but I see nothing that suggests Wilson is any more locked in to be more productive this season. He's off the ice more than on it.

It all goes back to defense being their bread and butter. Without it everything else falls off the table. We'll see if they can sort that out since it's not just the youth but the two supposed leaders now in Carlson/Orpik not showing signs of being able to handle the responsibility. They're not as bad as this blowout suggests but there may be vast variations in their game hinging upon whether they can establish their structure and rhythm or not. If not, there's plenty of ugly to go around.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
@Hivemind, i thought ovie was awful. Show some leadership and hustle and help on the backcheck. In third period, there was a Cap playing like a captain, but it wasn’t #8.
I had more or less checked out by the very end of the game, so maybe his slacked at the end. But earlier he was more defensively engaged than normal. He had a couple shifts with some real solid defensive play. Good shoulder checks, contested pucks, and stick work. Obviously that's not enough from your $9.5M superstar, but I wouldn't lay the brunt of the blame on him tonight.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
It is always interesting to me to watch the post game interviews with players and Trotz.

74 was characteristically low energy and meandering and mumbly in his answers. But at least he made a point of saying he wished he’d played better in order to make things easier for the new guys.

Backstrom mainly emphasized how poorly we handled the puck and possessed the puck. He still seemed frustrated and exasperated by the experience.

13 stuck to the script about learning lessons from the loss, “putting the game behind us,” and entering “the next game with a clear head.“

Most interesting of all was the trotz presser. He said the team was “stupid“ in its puck management, and he said the forwards were as much to blame, if not more so, than the defense. He was asked about Bowey. He started to say something which seemed like it was going to be blunt and maybe negative. But then he caught himself, and said he wanted to wait until he looked at tape of the game. He said, “we may just end up junking this game,“ instead of examining it super closely. He added that “Giroux’s line just ate up Kuznetsov’s line.”

Last edited:

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Ovie’s final shift, the one where Giroux scored, was abysmal. 3 caps got beat to the 50-50 puck by giroux.
It was more Beagle's fault than Ovi's. Ovi was defending on one of their D, Giroux was Beagle's man.

I don't understand how Carlson finished the night with only -1.

The D were at their level. And when the F can't have a hatty or a 4pt game night and your backup goalie can't stand on his head the whole 60 minutes (like in Tampa), it will be definitely a loss.

It's already the second goal that we conceed while on PP. Can't happen. The game was over after this goal and the 3rd one (btw a bs call from the refs)

It looks like this season for me will be like the first ones of Ovi era. The individual stats (of Ovi, Nicky, Kuzya) will matter more than the result.

edit: I like the first shift of the 3rd period by Trotz, when I saw Connolly and not Burakovsky with 19 and 77. But then I was a little be surprised to see 39 instead of 13. WHY BARRY?? I want to see 8-92-13 for the whole year together.
65-20-13 could be a very good line, 3 fast guys, but it seems like everything he(65) does this year, it's worth only an F mark.

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
I'm a bit upset by the manner of the goals and the players who scored them, but what can you do other than put behind us and move on, don't dwell on a game like that. Bowey was too bad to be true...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->