Pre-Game Talk: Capitals 2018 trade deadline thread (Bob Mckenzie says caps in on notable defenders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
So, about this talk of Caps looking at defensemen... funny, I bet in the playoffs the greater issue will (again) end up being the inability to score.

It's not that it's unreasonable, but I'd rather see them try to maximize the effectiveness of existing offensive talent. Given the history, it has just as "good" a chance of accomplishing anything, but it would be a helluva lot more entertaining.

If our #1 keeper continues his subpar performances, we'll need better play from our D. Maybe Kuzy and/or Bura will have a Druce-like series, and if then we'd need the help on the back end. That's why McD would be my #1 priority.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Read Vogel’s latest post concerning tomorrow’s game. Talks about the deadline and basically says the Caps like their current group and probably stand pat.

God help us all. I’m not sure I’ll even bother watching the tire fire that will be the playoffs in that case (pending they make they playoffs).

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Read Vogel’s latest post concerning tomorrow’s game. Talks about the deadline and basically says the Caps like their current group and probably stand pat.

God help us all. I’m not sure I’ll even bother watching the tire fire that will be the playoffs in that case (pending they make they playoffs).

If that happens, it’s GMBM telling Trotz “you are on your own”

Funny thing? If I remember correctly, Barry is woefully underpaid (as compared to guys like Babcock). So maybe it’s best for all anyway.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Lol take a deep breath. What is Vogel gonna say? He can't say that the caps are searching cause he isn't a gm

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
So, about this talk of Caps looking at defensemen... funny, I bet in the playoffs the greater issue will (again) end up being the inability to score.

It's not that it's unreasonable, but I'd rather see them try to maximize the effectiveness of existing offensive talent. Given the history, it has just as "good" a chance of accomplishing anything, but it would be a helluva lot more entertaining.

Nobody knows what the secret ingredient is....there are just more D available, therefor more discussions about it. It's why I'd rather see a 2 for 1 or 2 for 2 type of trade with a D and a F, because you're right...seems like the forwards go cold fast in the postseason.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Can’t we just trade those 3 for Karlsson?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

You saw what Nash got right? EK is going to cost a lot more than a declining slow defenseman on a terrible contract, a backup goalie who may or may not be a starter and a guy who has 8 goals in what was supposed to be a career year. I'm not even sure Bura and Grubi's positive value is enough to offset Orpiks negative due to the contract.

Reactions: peterthegreat12

peterthegreat12

Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
So your saying that bob Mckenzie aka the most informed reporter in the NHL is least trustworthy then Vogel? That's my point
Not at all. Bob is the man. All Bob said was that they inquired. That doesn’t mean they made an offer. They could have easily been just kicking the tires. We shall see.

I’m just venting my frustration with the organization. They are taking this very middle of the road position, they have this aging core yet also want to build for the future. Drafting a proposect this year will not help Ovechkin/Backstrom win. If the plan is to go this route it would be more logical to start trading those two and have a mini re-build. I’m puzzled by their stance.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Not at all. Bob is the man. All Bob said was that they inquired. That doesn’t mean they made an offer. They could have easily been just kicking the tires. We shall see.

I’m just venting my frustration with the organization. They are taking this very middle of the road position, they have this aging core yet also want to build for the future. Drafting a proposect this year will not help Ovechkin/Backstrom win. If the plan is to go this route it would be more logical to start trading those two and have a mini re-build. I’m puzzled by their stance.

Like I said before on here, how many of you expected them to be in this position anyways at the beginning of the year? Anything now is just gravy

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
If Buffalo is looking to move on from Antipin wonder if we could make a splash for Kane+ Antipin. The latter could easily be Schmidt caliber on a good team based on how he looked in Buffalo and we'd have a young cost controlled LD for a few years to show for it.

Kane + Antipin for Orpik + 1st + some LD prospect like Sieg. 1sts have been worthless under McLellan anyway, he'll either draft some replacement level tweener D/F or a goalie 10 years away from being 4th in our pipeline. And Kane is tailor made to play with guys like Eller and Wilson and generate his own offense next to them. He could be a guy who keeps up with Pittsburgh's speed and gets in Malkin's grill and wins us a series... or loses it... either way would be entertaining as hell.

Ovechkin Backstrom Oshie
Connolly Kuznetsov Bura
Kane Eller DSP
Vrana Stephenson Wilson

Djoos Carlson
Orlov Niskanen
Antipin Kempny

Any line has the pieces to get hot and score a bunch unlike every single other year when the bottom 6 was a write off offensively (minus reliable old Chimera).

Last edited:

peterthegreat12

Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Like I said before on here, how many of you expected them to be in this position anyways at the beginning of the year? Anything now is just gravy
Then why not just re-build? Surrounding this core with fringe NHL players and flipping a coin will not win a cup. Why not sell some of the core while they still have high value if they are eyeing the future at this point? I don’t want to see this organization piss more years away of 19 and 8.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Then why not just re-build? Surrounding this core with fringe NHL players and flipping a coin will not win a cup. Why not sell some of the core while they still have high value if they are eyeing the future at this point? I don’t want to see this organization piss more years away of 19 and 8.

That's what pretty much everyone here has said to do. You can't not take advantage of an extra playoff year but at the same time gmbm seems to be playing it safe so far with the depth pickups.

If they don't do anything else I sense a mini rebuild may happen, if they do another big trade then who knows

peterthegreat12

Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
That's what pretty much everyone here has said to do. You can't not take advantage of an extra playoff year but at the same time gmbm seems to be playing it safe so far with the depth pickups.

If they don't do anything else I sense a mini rebuild may happen, if they do another big trade then who knows
Sorry for venting at you. I obviously want to see them win like everyone else, just so frustrated with the direction of this organization.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Caps Have Deadline Day Date with Jackets in Columbus | Dump N Chase
While Washington has a modicum of salary cap space with which to make another move, Caps coach Barry Trotz’s post-practice remarks on Sunday make the likelihood of such a move sound rather slim.

Asked about potential distractions at this time of the year from trade rumors and roster uncertainty, Trotz shrugged it off.

“I think that depends on the year and the rumors,” Trotz replies. “Right now, I don’t think there is any of that in our room. I think our guys are pretty settled in. We like our group, we’ve already made a couple of deals, so I don’t think that’s a factor in our room.
I'm not sure what else anyone expects Trotz to say here. It's above his pay grade. Coaches concentrate on what they have and that's it. I don't really buy the editorializing from Vogel either. I expect something small up front at the very least since I'd be pretty surprised if they stick with Vrana the rest of the way. The uncertainty with not just him but DSP/Chiasson as higher line options and Oshie's issues should at least make something like a Vanek or Sharp for a fourth a price they're willing to pay.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Like once every 10 years does a Norris defender in their prime become avaible to trade. I would blow things up for the chance to add EK. Trade whatever it takes that isn't core.

Sens seem to want cheap pieces so Trade them all the picks and prospects it takes then

I agree. At least it will be fun.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Sorry for venting at you. I obviously want to see them win like everyone else, just so frustrated with the direction of this organization.

lol it's all good. We all wanna see them win. I just don't really listen to the media that much since most of DC media seems to wanna complain more. Maybe Vogel will be right, I just don't see if Mckenzie says something how Vogel is just gonna say nothing happening

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
If Buffalo is looking to move on from Antipin wonder if we could make a splash for Kane+ Antipin. The latter could easily be Schmidt caliber on a good team based on how he looked in Buffalo and we'd have a young cost controlled LD for a few years to show for it.

Kane + Antipin for Orpik + 1st + some LD prospect like Sieg. 1sts have been worthless under McLellan anyway, he'll either draft some replacement level tweener D/F or a goalie 10 years away from being 4th in our pipeline. And Kane is tailor made to play with guys like Eller and Wilson and generate his own offense next to them. He could be a guy who keeps up with Pittsburgh's speed and gets in Malkin's grill and wins us a series... or loses it... either way would be entertaining as hell.

Ovechkin Backstrom Oshie
Connolly Kuznetsov Bura
Kane Eller DSP
Vrana Stephenson Wilson

Any line has the pieces to get hot and score a bunch unlike every single other year when the bottom 6 was a write off offensively (minus reliable old Chimera).
It's rumored Buffalo wants a 1st, (a conditional also), a prospect and a roster player in return for kane alone. I would imagine they don't want a anchor of a roster player in that request. You'd probably be looking more like 1st, 2nd if they caps advance to the finals, Johansen/Bowey and Buravoksky/Vrana for Kane alone. In order to get them to take Orpiks contract then it's going to costs us more AND to bring back Antipin who is not a throw in at all we probably just don't have the pieces to make it worth it.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
It's rumored Buffalo wants a 1st, (a conditional also), a prospect and a roster player in return for kane alone. I would imagine they don't want a anchor of a roster player in that request. You'd probably be looking more like 1st, 2nd if they caps advance to the finals, Johansen/Bowey and Buravoksky/Vrana for Kane alone. In order to get them to take Orpiks contract then it's going to costs us more AND to bring back Antipin who is not a throw in at all we probably just don't have the pieces to make it worth it.

I'm sure they can negotiate around that if they don't get exactly what they're looking for as long as they don't lose anything of consequence (which it sounds like they don't see Antipin being someone of much consequence). They can probably eat Orpik easier than any other team in the league with where they are competitively and how deep Pegula's pockets are, plus they need veteran leadership and paid actual assets for a poor man's Orpik in Gorges.

1st, Sieg/Johansen, Orpik, 3rd for Kanetipin, throw em that see how how they respond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad