Cap Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
What happens if you have a player on a 1-way contract and you want to send him to the minors? Assuming he cleared waivers would his contract still count against the cap? Just curious. I know players making more than $75,000 in the minors can be claimed when being called up with half of their contracts being stuck on the original teams cap, so a move like this would have to be permanent.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
shadoz19 said:
What happens if you have a player on a 1-way contract and you want to send him to the minors? Assuming he cleared waivers would his contract still count against the cap? Just curious. I know players making more than $75,000 in the minors can be claimed when being called up with half of their contracts being stuck on the original teams cap, so a move like this would have to be permanent.

Once he clears waivers and is sent down, he no longer counts against the team's cap - only players on the teams active roster and IR count against the cap.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I wonder how many teams are going to use this as a way to get under the cap(ie send down a high priced player to the minors to clear up cap room) as an alternative to buying the player out(which eats up cap room).

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
boredmale said:
I wonder how many teams are going to use this as a way to get under the cap(ie send down a high priced player to the minors to clear up cap room) as an alternative to buying the player out(which eats up cap room).
I could see some deep pocket teams trying this tactic. As was said they would have to pay the players entire salary but since it takes away no cap room some owners may be willing to make that sacrifice.

shadoz19

May 21, 2004
Spongebob said:
I could see some deep pocket teams trying this tactic. As was said they would have to pay the players entire salary but since it takes away no cap room some owners may be willing to make that sacrifice.

The only deterrent then would be the rule to bringing them back up. They would have to clear waivers coming back up and at that point I assume if they were claimed they would count half against the team's cap.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
shadoz19 said:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
The only deterrent then would be the rule to bringing them back up. They would have to clear waivers coming back up and at that point I assume if they were claimed they would count half against the team's cap.

There is one other deterrent - the high priced player would still need to clear waivers to be sent down. There would be a risk of another team with more cap room making a claim and the team loses the player. If a team was just trying to permantently dump salary, that may not be a big deal, but if the team wanted to keep the player and bring him back during the season (unlikely with the threat of callup waivers) or for the next season, they might have second thought about doing this.

There is also the trade off between cap hit and total dollars spent. A non-capped team would probably prefer to do a buy-out, take a hit against the cap, but pay out less total dollars (2/3's) over a longer time period, rather than just waive the player and eat the whole contract cost, albeit with no cap costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->