Cap Idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
Given the Devils slick maneuvering to try to get and stay under the cap, I've thought about a way that is both fair to the players and still acts like the cap needs to to maintain balance.

Here's my thought:

(1) Establish a 23 man roster. Only players on the 23 man roster as of noon on a game day are eligible for the game that day.

(2) 1/82 of that year's salary then counts against the cap for each person on the 23 man roster. That cap space is used, and gone. This accumulates throughout the season, and obviously is not allowed to exceed the cap.

(3) Every day, you calculate the projected cap hit of the current 23 man roster as 'future games'/82 * sum of 23 man roster salarys + used cap space already. This can also never exceed the cap.

(4) Establish an IR for injured players, similar to the DL in baseball. Once a player is moved to the IR, he must stay there for at least 15 days. IR players may practice with the team on off days, but can't participate on game days. The IR is NOT a part of the 23 man roster.

(5) You must waive a player to get him off the 23 man roster. If he clears waivers, you have 2 days to declare your intentions:

(a) re-add him to the 23 man roster.
(b) assign him to the minors
(c) declare him a free agent. If a player is declared a free agent, the old team is STILL responsible to pay his salary until he signs a new deal, but his services are no longer available to the team and the salary does not count against the cap. He may not sign with the team that released him for the duration of the (now cancelled) contract.

Thoughts? Holes?

Captain Lou

Apr 2, 2004
Here we go again...let the Devil bashing continue. Don't you guys get tired of this? I mean every single day there are threads upon threads of Devil hatred on these boards. Now we have to completely rewrite the CBA that was just "signed" and all because you're mad that Lou found a stinkin' loophole? Oh yeah, and have the players agree to this too? All of you are seriously out to lunch. Or maybe you are all just jealous that we have a GM who is willing to admit his mistakes and an owner who is willing to pay for them? Unlike a certain GM and owner up in New England, who would rather trade away their best player than get eat money on some stiff's contract?

It really must burn you guys up that the Devils are NOT in cap trouble, doesn't it? :p:

MountainHawk

Sep 29, 2005
Salem, MA
No. Couldn't care less. The Devils are like 20 points behind my team ... I just think the current situation is unfair to the players. And not just what the Devils are going ... the Flyers, Canucks and others bouncing between the AHL and the NHL sucks too.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
MountainHawk said:
Given the Devils slick maneuvering to try to get and stay under the cap, I've thought about a way that is both fair to the players and still acts like the cap needs to to maintain balance.

Here's my thought:

(1) Establish a 23 man roster. Only players on the 23 man roster as of noon on a game day are eligible for the game that day.

(2) 1/82 of that year's salary then counts against the cap for each person on the 23 man roster. That cap space is used, and gone. This accumulates throughout the season, and obviously is not allowed to exceed the cap.

(3) Every day, you calculate the projected cap hit of the current 23 man roster as 'future games'/82 * sum of 23 man roster salarys + used cap space already. This can also never exceed the cap.

(4) Establish an IR for injured players, similar to the DL in baseball. Once a player is moved to the IR, he must stay there for at least 15 days. IR players may practice with the team on off days, but can't participate on game days. The IR is NOT a part of the 23 man roster.

(5) You must waive a player to get him off the 23 man roster. If he clears waivers, you have 2 days to declare your intentions:

(a) re-add him to the 23 man roster.
(b) assign him to the minors
(c) declare him a free agent. If a player is declared a free agent, the old team is STILL responsible to pay his salary until he signs a new deal, but his services are no longer available to the team and the salary does not count against the cap. He may not sign with the team that released him for the duration of the (now cancelled) contract.

Thoughts? Holes?

#2 and #3 are how the current cap rules work, except that it is based on a pro-rated per day, rather than per game basis, and it is based on the current active roster (min 20, max 23) plus IR players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad