Salary Cap: Cap and roster management challenges for Jets

GJF

Beaver Jedi
Sep 26, 2011
Heidelberg, GER
Sounds like you are advocating a rebuild more than draft and develop pcanuck?

draft....this last draft we had 10 picks which is allot

Develop.....so far no TNSE drafted played has been rushed into the NHL so they seem committed to patience and development.

It's about finding balance between competing today while putting a system in place to fill the pipeline as time goes by.

And you can see this on every single SC Champion for at least the last 5-6 years (with PIT being an exception).

Olsen

Jul 9, 2013
Am i the only one who don't hate Pavelec? It seems like he has become the "symbol of faliure" for a lot of you. In my opinion, he is one of the reasons we got a chance to be in the playoff-run until the last game. The team was - on paper - one of the worst in the entire league and in addition to that we had a lot of injured key-players. I think he will turn some heads, once the team gets better overall.

The same goes for Enström. He had two pretty rough years (injuries) but he was by far the best defenceman in his 13 (?) game stint prior to his shoulder injury. I just don't get all the negativity, is it his height? Does he seem like a liability because he's not Chara 2.0? As a long time Thrashers-Fan i can only shook my head and i'm pretty sure, once he got a full season without any injury under his belt, even the biggest anti-enström-guy will love him.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Bogosian: I would strongly argue that the Jets weren't one of the worst teams on paper. By most statistical metrics, they were mid-pack. Goaltending was below average, however. I like Pavs: I hope he can step up his game, but I'm not sure we're going to see that happen. I think he is what he is.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Am i the only one who don't hate Pavelec? It seems like he has become the "symbol of faliure" for a lot of you. In my opinion, he is one of the reasons we got a chance to be in the playoff-run until the last game. The team was - on paper - one of the worst in the entire league and in addition to that we had a lot of injured key-players. I think he will turn some heads, once the team gets better overall.

The same goes for Enström. He had two pretty rough years (injuries) but he was by far the best defenceman in his 13 (?) game stint prior to his shoulder injury. I just don't get all the negativity, is it his height? Does he seem like a liability because he's not Chara 2.0? As a long time Thrashers-Fan i can only shook my head and i'm pretty sure, once he got a full season without any injury under his belt, even the biggest anti-enström-guy will love him.

Pavs needs to up his game IMHO...... Toby's game is fine and only needs to stay healthy that is how I feel at least.

One of the keys to success this season is if Buff and Toby can get back to 2010-11 health and games played.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg

I like Enstrom.

Pavelec on the other hand... Our statistics in everything but goaltending hover around the league average, some cases above. In goaltending however, we are right at the bottom of the barrel. To me that's a pretty simple piece of evidence that Pavelec is our weakest link.

(Especially given evidence that Sv% is representative of Goalie, not team)

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
I like Enstrom.

Pavelec on the other hand... Our statistics in everything but goaltending hover around the league average, some cases above. In goaltending however, we are right at the bottom of the barrel. To me that's a pretty simple piece of evidence that Pavelec is our weakest link.

(Especially given evidence that Sv% is representative of Goalie, not team)
Pavelic is known to play badly in the 2nd game of a back-2-back. Here's a comparison of his save percentage vesus days of rest

Days of rest | 2013 SV% | Career SV%
0|0.882|0.870
1|0.910|0.913
2|0.930|0.930
3+|0.885|0.890

His numbers in 2013 were consistent with his career numbers. BTW, if you exclude the 2nd of back-2-back games, Pavelic's save percentage would rise from .905 to .912. Noel blew it.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
Pavelic is known to play badly in the 2nd game of a back-2-back. Here's a comparison of his save percentage vesus days of rest

Days of rest | 2013 SV% | Career SV%
0|0.882|0.870
1|0.910|0.913
2|0.930|0.930
3+|0.885|0.890

His numbers in 2013 were consistent with his career numbers. BTW, if you exclude the 2nd of back-2-back games, Pavelic's save percentage would rise from .905 to .912. Noel blew it.

But where does every other goalie in the league stand if you do the same thing? Also, that's STILL marginally below average.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
But where does every other goalie in the league stand if you do the same thing?

They already are doing that. A quote from the article I referenced...
Hell, we all talked Pavelec's performance and workload during the season. That memo was sent a long time ago. Some teams got it; for example Jonathan Quick didn't start a single back-to-back this season, Evgeni Nabokov started 41 games but only one back-to-back set, and Tuukka Rask's two back-to-back starts both came in fighting for home ice advantage in late April.

Pavaelec looks worse than he is, because we're comparing properly-used Quick/Nabakov/Rask versus an improperly-used Pavelec.
Also, that's STILL marginally below average.
If we had won 2 more games, we'd be in the playoffs. Heck, if we changed a regulation-time loss against the Islanders, into a regulation-time win, we would've been in. It was that close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->