Value of: Canucks Taking Your Team's Bad Contracts

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Spezza, Orpik, Moulson, and Burrows stand out to me because they only have one year left on their contracts.

Is there a chance one of these guys can fill a role on the ice for Vancouver? Because if they can, then send over a no-name AHL guy in return for the player and a mid-round pick.

Vancouver gets a player to do something for the season, maybe they can flip them at the next TDL, and they get a small bonus pick. The other team gets cap relief for a small price.

Possible salary retention and which pick goes to VAN would obviously be negotiable.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
3 and 4 years deals are too long, almost no GM wants that due to no GM wanting to be bad for that long. The only possible exceptions I can think of would be cap floor teams taking ltirs or at a stretch possibly a team just starting a 4-5 year down rebuild. The cost to move these long contracts would be multiple firsts, selling teams would rather live out the contract.

The Canucks should be looking for 1, maybe 2 year max, deals where the can get a 2nd or a 3rd from a contender. It is worth it for the contender because they can turn the cap back into another player, or keep one of their RFA or UFAs. A deadline deal would cost them that.

Alternatively pulling a Vegas and retain on a 3 way, and get a nice pick for making the deal work.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It`s a bit off topic, but will the Sedins retire this year?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Isn't Ladd from the BC area? If you wait till after he gets his signing bonus from the Isles, half his contract will already be paid out.

Reactions: IODCPiper

member 147413

Matt Martin for a 5th

You need NHLers and he is one, plus he’ll protect the kids.

Reactions: IODCPiper

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
chicago isnt going to give up there 7th pick to give up seabrook. They would send seabrook and nashvilles pick and maybe a prospect tho.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Ottawa gladly sends you Gaborik and Ryan for 2023s 1st.
Nope.
You can have a 2nd round pick if you take Alzner with it!!!
Nope.
Brendan Smiths contract and you get Rob O’gara as a prospect?
Wtf is a Rob O’gara?
chicago isnt going to give up there 7th pick to give up seabrook. They would send seabrook and nashvilles pick and maybe a prospect tho.
:laugh:

Nope.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Every fanbase of non playoff teams throws this idea out there every year as if they think a real world owner will spend real money to buy a mid to low round pick.
It's not impossible - take a look at Olaf Kolzig's 'career' in Toronto, for example - but it's also not nearly as frequent as some fans would want to believe.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Take out lehtera and del zotto, add a contract dump in laplante and you have a deal.

2 years of 5M cap dump is worth around a 20th ovr pick

Feel free to keep Del Zotto if he provides value to you guys (frankly, he was in there to reduce the amount of Lehtera's contract you'd be taking on; I'd rather free up a slot on our defense rather than give them another average vet to hold down the kids), Laplante is no problem from my end, but I don't agree with the valuation you're putting on the Blues pick. To me, a first is good enough value to justify dumping both players, especially since Lehtera's deal only has the one year left.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
It's not impossible - take a look at Olaf Kolzig's 'career' in Toronto, for example - but it's also not nearly as frequent as some fans would want to believe.

I agree completely. I think the "we're open for business and we'll take a two year real dollars multi million dollar deal for a guy who can't make our team for a low second round pick" is mostly unrealistic in real life. I'm sure someone can provide one or two examples, but it's pretty rare to my eyes. Look at the trouble Detroit had unloading Datsyuk's fake money deal. They tried to move it well before the draft and had to settle for moving it at the draft. AZ got some value but it wasn't just "here's a first round pick take my fake money deal." I have to imagine real money deals would require a fairly significant value in return and I can't recall too much of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->