Canucks News, Rumours, and & Fantasy GM | A True Playoff Team

lawrence

May 19, 2012
If we trade hronek than we are back to looking for a rhd at least one that has offensive experience despite his struggles.

I’m also,not sure if it’s ok paying 5 million for a bottom pair dman.

Reactions: Nick Lang

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
Let's see, if your Vancouver Canucks want to compete now and in the future instead of regressing to the mean:

Keep:

Lindholm-Unicorn
Zadorov-Unicorn

Joshua-Quasi-Unicorn
Hronek-Quasi-Unicorn
Myers-Quasi-Unicorn

Let walk:

Cole-Replaceable with Juulsen
Bleuger-Replaceable with Sasson/Aman

Lafferty-Replaceable with Pods/Bains
DeSmith-Replaceable with Silovs

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Trading Hronek leaves a pretty big gaping hole to be filled.

@SopelFanThe3rd
No, not really. See what Willander can do? Why not? Elias Pettersson, McWard or Brisebois. What's the sense of having a farm team if you are too afraid to promote a player. Juulsen too but he might just be the replacement for Cole.
There's a lot of guys I'd try to unload for cap reasons, before sacrificing Hronek. Obviously trading Mikheyev would be one option......but clearly they'd have to retain salary.

The other options, many will find unpalatable is to deal either Demko or Boeser. At this juncture, you could get a king's ransom for both, since their value is at the top of the market.

The bottom line is that right, shot, top-pairing d-men like Hronek who wrack up 50 points a season are as scarce as hen's teeth. That's why the Canucks blew out a first rounder and second rounder to acquire him in the first place.
You could name ten players YOU would want to unload for cap reasons.
Like Boeser and Garland, how did that work out last year?
Demko could be a maybe but the team doesn't really have a full time apprentice as a back up. Can't go with DeSmith as a starter, could you? Maybe a 1A and 1B?
Demko to NJD, Buffalo, TO, Ottawa, Columbus, apart from TO the others have enough high value assets to trade, Buffalo may deal Samuelsson now they have Byram, NJD - Bahl, Foote, Columbus - Marchenko/Voronkov but this deal would have to include Garland/Boeser, Ottawa - Pinto but Norris may be done now so who else?, TO - nah for get them.
It is okay because the vultures are going to swoop down n the Canucks and pick off Myers, Zadorov and Cole leaving the team in a crater. Especially if fans can't adjust their thinking to the cap actually increasing year after year.
Here is something to think on, with the move to Utah league revenues will increase across the board.

Besides any partner with Hughes will likely get 50 points just passing it to him. But a puck handling rushing dman will always be second fiddle when Hughes is on the ice. Only one puck.

Big ticket trade assets, Demko AAA, Hronek AA, Garland A, Boeser BBB
All are veteran guys that a team like Utah will want to get a jump on their first season and have most assets that they can even handle. Only 50 contracts per team, they already have at least 46 used and they have over 20 picks in the top three over the next 3 years. They have room for 4 more contracts so they will be wanting to cash in on some of those other assets. They will also have more than 40 million in cap space with 18 NHL contracts already.

They may see trading Crouse and a couple of 2nds as a good trade for Garland and Boeser.
Or Crouse and But/Simkev for Hronek

what ever they can do anything and not really hurt the team long term but the leadership of vets like Boeser and Garland would help.

Boeser, Garland, Hronek
For
Crouse, McBain, Simashev, But and three 2nd rnd picks would be a fair trade.

I guess the other aspect to think on is who stays with the team and team needs and Tocchets wants.
The above mentioned trade would free up about an additional 10 million taking the Canucks to 35 mil in cap space with 7 NHL contracts to re-sign if all the forwards re-sign here.
But it this team good enough? One playoff appearance in one year doesn't mean it is finished or good enough. The Canucks had a 100+ point season in 2015 and then 8/9 years of skimming the bottom of the league.

Let's see, if your Vancouver Canucks want to compete now and in the future instead of regressing to the mean:

Keep:

Lindholm-Unicorn
Zadorov-Unicorn

Joshua-Quasi-Unicorn
Hronek-Quasi-Unicorn
Myers-Quasi-Unicorn

Let walk:

Cole-Replaceable with Juulsen
Bleuger-Replaceable with Sasson/Aman

Lafferty-Replaceable with Pods/Bains
DeSmith-Replaceable with Silovs
If I get the unicorn reference correct you're meaning hard to replace. Ya.
Oddly enough they may have Hronek's replacement already Willander, McWard, a farm hand?

Last edited:

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Brenden Dillon has expressed interest in signing with us. I don't watch Winnipeg, is he any good?
Good is subjective when you’re a 3rd pairing dman.

Can he score? Not really. Can he clear a crease, fight and add keep his head above water while he is on the ice? Yes absolutely

Wonder if we can ship off Mik and replace him w Domi. Has better hands and more grit than Mik

Suter -JT-Brock
Hog- EP- Domi
Dak-Lind-Garland
Podz-Teddy-Laff

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
No, not really. See what Willander can do? Why not? Elias Pettersson, McWard or Brisebois. What's the sense of having a farm team if you are too afraid to promote a player. Juulsen too but he might just be the replacement for Cole.

Might be tough for Willander to step in when he's playing in Boston. And you're expecting a guy to jump from the AHL straight to the top pairing in the NHL. None of those players even come to close to replacing hronek.

Reactions: Nick Lang

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
He’d be a Cole replacement. Ideally you’re getting him on a one year deal at a bit of a hometown discount to play for a winning team.

I'm still hoping for Guentzle and Tanev.

Guentzle was rumored to have said that Van city would be his preferred landing spot, given the connection with Moleman and Mr. Clean, and the fact that he has not had an extension yet, make me think that if we can clear up cap space, we may have a decent shot.

Tanev is a well-respected figure, and again with very close ties to our team. Like I mentioned previously, he can provide us with leadership - REAL leadership, not calling out other people's balls while being a p***y kind of fake L3D@ar$h3Ep.

At this point, I wouldn't mind bring Myers back, but absolutely NOT at the expense of losing General Zad.

Hronek...hehe, dude should've taken the deal when offered, now he's shot himself in the foot.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Good is subjective when you’re a 3rd pairing dman.

Can he score? Not really. Can he clear a crease, fight and add keep his head above water while he is on the ice? Yes absolutely

Wonder if we can ship off Mik and replace him w Domi. Has better hands and more grit than Mik

Suter -JT-Brock
Hog- EP- Domi
Dak-Lind-Garland
Podz-Teddy-Laff

I'd imagine only way Domi doesn't stay in Toronto is if he prices himself out, which means he probably isn't signing here. Bertuzzi is likely gone-zo from TO already.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
I'm still hoping for Guentzle and Tanev.

Guentzle was rumored to have said that Van city would be his preferred landing spot, given the connection with Moleman and Mr. Clean, and the fact that he has not had an extension yet, make me think that if we can clear up cap space, we may have a decent shot.

Tanev is a well-respected figure, and again with very close ties to our team. Like I mentioned previously, he can provide us with leadership - REAL leadership, not calling out other people's balls while being a p***y kind of fake L3D@ar$h3Ep.

At this point, I wouldn't mind bring Myers back, but absolutely NOT at the expense of losing General Zad.

Hronek...hehe, dude should've taken the deal when offered, now he's shot himself in the foot.
Tanev is the answer to pair with Hughes.

Trade Hronek; replace DeSmith with Silovs; re-sign Myers for cheap (can't believe I'm saying that); see if Mikheyev can be shipped out; let Cole walk (unless there is a sweetheart deal); let Lindholm walk (probably, unless there is a sweetheart deal)); let Lafferty walk

Re-sign Zad, Joshua (see how the rest of playoffs go though), Blueger, promote Podz

Boeser Miller Suter
Hoglander EP ?
Garland Blueger Joshua
Podz Aman ?

Hughes Tanev
Soucy Myers
Zad Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

Could be room for a Toffoli or another big name winger there?

Reactions: Tritsche

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Whatever we do this summer two things stand out for me. Get EP a winger and keep Big Z. Hronek as much as I love him with Hughes isn't the answer in playoffs. He has a history of wearing down as season goes on and he's been a non factor for awhile now already. EP needs an actual offensive player on his line or keep lotto line together and sign Lindholm to be with Dakota and Garland.
Mikheyev needs to be shipped out as he's a black hole offensively.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby

Trade Hronek; replace DeSmith with Silovs; re-sign Myers for cheap (can't believe I'm saying that); see if Mikheyev can be shipped out; let Cole walk (unless there is a sweetheart deal); let Lindholm walk (probably, unless there is a sweetheart deal)); let Lafferty walk

Re-sign Zad, Joshua (see how the rest of playoffs go though), Blueger, promote Podz

Boeser Miller Suter
Hoglander EP ?
Garland Blueger Joshua
Podz Aman ?

Hughes Tanev
Soucy Myers
Zad Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

Man, think about it, Prime Tanev + Prime Hughes...

Reactions: ziploc

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I love Hronek don't get me wrong. He's a big part of Hughes success this season.

But what would you prefer?

Let Zad walk for nothing and resign Hronek.

Or.

Resign Zadorov and trade Hronek for a 1st and a 2nd round pick.

I think the choice is easy.
I think you can get more for Hronek.

Focus should be on acquiring either:

1. Straight up swap for Top 6 winger for EP

2. Young potential Top 6 F/Top 4 D plus 1st

Given the complete lack of Top 4 RHD available, I’d say there would be some level of a bidding war.

Target a team with quite a few assets looking to make the next step I.e Utah or Anaheim

Reactions: Baby Pettersson

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
Hughes Forsling would be the best pair in the league by a mile....
they both play the left side. McAvoy and Hughes on the other hand....or Dobson and Hughes.

A name that's been tossed around all year that makes sense would be Adam Larsson. Seattle was one of the lowest scoring teams last year, so perhaps they'd have interest in Boeser. would give us some leverage with Hronek too.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
Hronek is obviously injured. Players don't go from looking like top 2 d-men and then resembling a top 4/top 5 guy playing over his head over the course of a season.

His play wouldn't just drop the way it has.

Take advantage of his drop in play and re-sign him for a good amount long term. You don't just get rid of guys like this. That Hughes-Hronek pairing was the best pairing in the NHL.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.

Boeser Miller Suter
Hoglander EP ?
Garland Blueger Joshua
Podz Aman ?

Hughes Tanev
Soucy Myers
Zad Juulsen

Demko
Silovs

35 year old Tanev should never be signed to play with Hughes. He would be load managed and playing big PK minutes. Not the guy you want on the top pairing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad