Confirmed with Link: Canucks name Petey & Huggy Alternate Captains

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
There's some good commentary by the players in the linked article.

“I've always not been the loudest guy. I'm always respectful of guys that have been in the league a lot longer than me and they've seen so much more. But at the same time, me and Petey are good players and we have to do those things or the team's just going to stay the same. I feel like it's something that we have to do.” — Huggy Bear

“It might be a little bit of a push out of their comfort zone,” Tocchet said after the only practice the Canucks get before a difficult road trip that starts with three games in four nights in the New York area. “All I know is they both were excited. I told them I need them to push the pace around here for me. I need them to set the bar high.

“I think that they've earned the right to take that next step. I like the support group that I have here to help them lead. J.T. Miller is going to be very important because I need him to help lead those kids. You want to insulate those guys with good character people around, and I think that's what we're trying to do.”

“I think me and Quinn, we want more,” Pettersson said. “First off, we focus on hockey and playing well, but of course it's good to grow into a leader. Lead by example or set a standard, show how it should be done.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginger Papa

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I know Tocchet wasn't exactly a popular hire, and Rutherford and Allvin aren't exactly popular at the moment, as well as the perpetually unpopular Aquillini, but I'm getting the sense of some optimism from the players and I'm willing to give this a chance.

Besides, we could sure use some positive developments around here.

Last edited:

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
this is the right process, so that's good, since that's not something that can be taken for granted here these days

basically seems like odds are that pettersson takes the C if he is willing to stay long term, and if it not, it's hughes.

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
this is the right process, so that's good, since that's not something that can be taken for granted here these days

basically seems like odds are that pettersson takes the C if he is willing to stay long term, and if it not, it's hughes.
At this point I'm ready to sink my teeth into any positive developments deeper than a great white sinking its teeth into a fat kid off the coast of California.

• Haha
Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Good to see the "A"s for Hughes and Petey. And there's no rush to appoint a future captain.

Nomobo

Feb 20, 2015
Victoria
I know Tocchet wasn't exactly a popular hire, and Rutherford and Allvin aren't exactly popular at the moment, as well as the perpetually unpopular Aquillini, but I'm getting the sense of some optimism from the players and I'm willing to give this a chance.

Besides, we could sure use some positive developments around here.
I absolutely hated Tocchet when we played him but after having watched him in some informal interviews, I’m taking a shine to him. He’s very much down to earth and comes across as a meat and potatoes guy, someone I’d go have a beer with. I hope he’s successful and sticks with us for awhile, time to end the coaching carousel.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad