2017/2018 Management Discussion | NEW MOD WARNING IN OP AS OF 5/20/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloutierForVezina

May 13, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
I, however, am optimistic and feel good about the direction this team is going in, and the reason is Benning and Linden.

They have done a terrific job restocking this team with prospects and character free-agent signings that have given hope for the future.

Don't we already have like 15 threads about Linden and Benning?

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks-example-model-rebuild

I couldn't have said it better myself. I'll add more comments at a later time.
:biglaugh:

Let's see:

--three and a half years into the Lindenningbrod regime, and it's still Gillis' fault. Uh-huh. Riiiiiight.

--take a look, Pittsburgh! This is where you get seven years after a Cup run! Oh, wait...you won in 2009, too? And last year...wait...how does math work? I dunno...when did Chicago win again...?

--I'm totally sure all those prospects will work out. Just like our franchise-changing draft in 2014.

--"High character FA signings"...character is what you bring up when you can't talk about how good their game is. Gagner and del Zotto suck.

--Even if all those players pan out, we still have no d or goaltending. Even if Juolevi becomes a stud (and I'm TOTALLY sure that's gonna happen) he'll be all by himself.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Let's see:

--three and a half years into the Lindenningbrod regime, and it's still Gillis' fault. Uh-huh. Riiiiiight.

--take a look, Pittsburgh! This is where you get seven years after a Cup run! Oh, wait...you won in 2009, too? And last year...wait...how does math work? I dunno...when did Chicago win again...?

--I'm totally sure all those prospects will work out. Just like our franchise-changing draft in 2014.

--"High character FA signings"...character is what you bring up when you can't talk about how good their game is. Gagner and del Zotto suck.

--Even if all those players pan out, we still have no d or goaltending. Even if Juolevi becomes a stud (and I'm TOTALLY sure that's gonna happen) he'll be all by himself.

Also

Former Canucks general manager Mike Gillis sold the farm for that chance at a Stanley Cup and was let go for Jim Benning in 2014. Now seven years after those 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs, GM Jim Benning and president Trevor Linden are faced with the monumental task of rebuilding a team with two aging superstars, Henrik and Daniel Sedin, and what was an empty cupboard of prospects left by the last regime.

Sold the farm? One of the more legit criticisms of Gillis is that he didn't sell the farm when we had the best opportunity to win the Cup. In his 6 years here he made exactly one significant futures for now deal, trading the 1st and Grabner for Ballard, and one pure deadline rental, a 2nd for Derek Roy.

If anyone's been guilty of selling the farm here it's Jim Benning in his ill advised age gap and competitive vet pursuit. Quite literally Gillis left the farm team stocked with our own draft picks and prospects, while Benning has slashed and burned it down till there's barely anything there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks-example-model-rebuild

I couldn't have said it better myself. I'll add more comments at a later time.
giphy.gif

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Also

Sold the farm? One of the more legit criticisms of Gillis is that he didn't sell the farm when we had the best opportunity to win the Cup. In his 6 years here he made exactly one significant futures for now deal, trading the 1st and Grabner for Ballard, and one pure deadline rental, a 2nd for Derek Roy.

If anyone's been guilty of selling the farm here it's Jim Benning in his ill advised age gap and competitive vet pursuit. Quite literally Gillis left the farm team stocked with our own draft picks and prospects, while Benning has slashed and burned it down till there's barely anything there.

Yep, the best criticism of Gillis is that he wasn't able to do enough to load the team up when they were peaking. Should have packaged whatever wasn't nailed down to snag Jeff Carter from Columbus, if it was possible...

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Yep, the best criticism of Gillis is that he wasn't able to do enough to load the team up when they were peaking. Should have packaged whatever wasn't nailed down to snag Jeff Carter from Columbus, if it was possible...

I don't think there was any concrete evidence but I do remember there being a rumour/belief/whatever about other GM's not really eager to do business with Gillis.

To the old boys club he essentially used to be "the enemy" as a player agent. Then just like that he switches sides, goes against tradition by naming his goalie the Captain, implements all sorts of new ideas like hiring a sleep doctor.... and let's face it, he can come across as very arrogant. I just don't think he was ever received very well by his peers. Can't be easy doing business and making trades under those conditions.

Just a theory anyways.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
I don't think there was any concrete evidence but I do remember there being a rumour/belief/whatever about other GM's not really eager to do business with Gillis.

To the old boys club he essentially used to be "the enemy" as a player agent. Then just like that he switches sides, goes against tradition by naming his goalie the Captain, implements all sorts of new ideas like hiring a sleep doctor.... and let's face it, he can come across as very arrogant. I just don't think he was ever received very well by his peers. Can't be easy doing business and making trades under those conditions.

Just a theory anyways.

Okay I wrote several angry posts about this topic in one of the other six Gillis threads, please check them out. I don't think his personal demeanor was at all a disadvantage. NHL GMs are generally type A guys, and they can come across as arrogant. They forge relationships with each other on those terms, out of self-interest.

Nobody is privy to discussions Gillis had with other GMs, but I have a feeling he treated them differently than he treated the 400lb drivetime radio goblin who asked him the same moron question every week.

Jack Burton

Pro Tank Since 13
Oct 27, 2016
Pork Chop Express
Last edited by a moderator:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

So much stupidity, so few column inches. Shocker who posted it.

Let's see:

--Well, at least we know who had that Ryan Miller account here...

Why didn't he point out Benning gutted the team of character guys. Richardson, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Garrison, Kesler, Burrows, Hansen etc. So much character ripped from the team.... He even let character guys like Bartkowski go. Now we hear he's trying to trade away even more character in Gudbranson.

Willie was a character guy, he got stabbed in the back by Benning. Sure he couldn't line match to save himself, but his character more than made up for that as it rubbed off on everyone around.

Last edited:

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Hirsch’s pandering and sucking up to the Canucks makes sense now that I see his son is getting featured on Rogers Hometown Hockey. Corey is trying to ride the money train, getting broadcasting opportunities and exposure for his son. Given his poor earnings during his career, I wouldn’t be surprised if he still needs to hustle and make money to support his family.

Reactions: pomorick

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Hirsch’s pandering and sucking up to the Canucks makes sense now that I see his son is getting featured on Rogers Hometown Hockey. Corey is trying to ride the money train, getting broadcasting opportunities and exposure for his son. Given his poor earnings during his career, I wouldn’t be surprised if he still needs to hustle and make money to support his family.
Probably believes it. Just like most salespeople actually do believe in their product or service.

Reactions: Nomobo

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I hope you guys would give anyone a chance who sided with Hirsch and if they came in here to offer their opinion.
I liked his goaltending equipment reduction segment for the most part. Havent heard or read much that I agree with since then

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
I really liked that. Iirc it came out before his goalie gear segment. To counter what you are trying to do here are you really surprised by a mentally ill/struggling person trying to be all sunshine and rainbows and sucking up to a former team while being employed in the industry
I'm not sure someone who's been treated and recovered is still considered to be mentally ill.

I have seen him roundly ridiculed in here to the point that even if someone agrees with him or some of the points he made that they won't want to enter into the discussion for fear of being ridiculed themselves. That has already happened.

This is important.

All we want here is a place where all Canucks fans can voice their opinions about management without fear of being ridiculed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nomobo

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Why didn't he point out Benning gutted the team of character guys. Richardson, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Garrison, Kesler, Burrows, Hansen etc. So much character ripped from the team.... He even let character guys like Bartkowski go. Now we hear he's trying to trade away even more character in Gudbranson.

Willie was a character guy, he got stabbed in the back by Benning. Sure he couldn't line match to save himself, but his character more than made up for that as it rubbed off on everyone around.
Not sure if serious here.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
I'm not sure someone who's been treated and recovered is still considered to be mentally ill.

I have seen him roundly ridiculed in here to the point that even if someone agrees with him or some of the points he made that they won't want to enter into the discussion for fear of being ridiculed themselves. That has already happened.

This is important.

All we want here is a place where all Canucks fans can voice their opinions about management without fear of being ridiculed.
Im not sure any and all treatment would lead to recovery. I and many others I assume here suffer from it; but if so, great. But alas, you are correct and I applaud your work. Posts of any kind can receive likes, but most importantly debate. If you make a statement one way or the other, expect someone else to hold a different view and debate. It was you or canucklehead who posted near exactly this. It seems to me one side of the spectrum has more compelling points to this debate with facts, stats, eye test, trades, signings comparissons while the other side deals more with feels, false equivilencies, strawmans, wait n see/hindsight fallacies. There is also the point of this site being the only social platform for anti management types, some correlation to this site as a whole probably being the largest collection of smart hockey nerds online I would say.

People dont deserve to be ridiculed, but some peoples posts sure do.

Thanks again to you and the other mods for doing the dirty work around here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad