2017/2018 Management Discussion | NEW MOD WARNING IN OP AS OF 5/20/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
if you want to read some absolutely insufferable slurping of Lindenning right now, go to /r/canucks:

the fans of this team deserve the management.

When I was young and watching the Messier Canucks I still wanted them to win every game, cheered for every goal, hated every loss. I just didnt have a social platform to embarass myself or others.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
except the majority of these people aren't young. They're grown adults. They're just really really stupid.
To be fair, a lot of them probably trust the local media to judge Linden and Benning, and we all know how most of the local media feels about them. And while they may be diehard Canucks fans, they may not pay too much attention to what other teams in the league are doing outside of standings, player point totals, and the occasional contract signing.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
if you want to read some absolutely insufferable slurping of Lindenning right now, go to /r/canucks:

I don’t even know where to begin with that post and if it were posted here wouldn’t even bother. When I see things like “kept a winning culture” and “avoided the trap Edmonton and Arizona have fallen into” it tells me they don’t see things objectively but merely interpret things in the most positive light for Vancouver and the most negative light for any other team. It’s fandom glasses that obscure how they interpret things. The best part was “sure some of Benning’s moves have been terrible” followed by how excited he is for the team’s future. You can’t make up that kind of cognitive dissonance.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
I don’t even know where to begin with that post and if it were posted here wouldn’t even bother. When I see things like “kept a winning culture” and “avoided the trap Edmonton and Arizona have fallen into” it tells me they don’t see things objectively but merely interpret things in the most positive light for Vancouver and the most negative light for any other team. It’s fandom glasses that obscure how they interpret things. The best part was “sure some of Benning’s moves have been terrible” followed by how excited he is for the team’s future. You can’t make up that kind of cognitive dissonance.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Going on other websites to try and talk about why Benning is a bad GM has proven difficult.

I've done it, "gone behind enemy lines", and quite frankly it's tough. Although, I guess you can equate it to people who support Benning and hang around here. Must be a very frustrating experience, god bless those people though.

To add to this, I find Twitter the worst. I have a lot of people that follow me based of the fact I post a lot of Prospect clips, so I get the "optimistic" crowd. And whenever I have a negative opinion of Benning I have to share, I instantly lose like 5-9 followers and get people straight up telling me I suck for having those opinions. Very frustrating.

Don't worry WTG. I will always have a
3Ndefls.png
for you.

Reactions: WTG

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
It's truly mind boggling that he went out and essentially decides a guy with zero experience is better than a guy who was in the organization, who knows the CBA and how to work the cap in Gilman. We've talk about Johnson being someone that could be a option and how it would be stupid to do. I mentioned how it would be like throwing a kid on a bike for the first time without training wheels, but now it's apparent we've already done that and seen it fail miserably.
Not mind boggling at all.

Trevor is a manipulator.

And anyone that he hires, he needs to be able to manipulate.

He thought he could manipulate WD but WD got fed up and started ignoring everything Trevor was saying (See the last third of the 16-17 season).

He thought he could manipulate the fanbase but turns out, we're smarter than his dumb ass.

And Gilman is no dummy.

Jimbo's a dummy though!
pYljVTJ.gif

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

If you don't blindly support the team and just keep feeding them money you are a bad fan. It's funny how people can turn being a fan into an obligation - both financially and emotionally.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
If you don't blindly support the team and just keep feeding them money you are a bad fan. It's funny how people can turn being a fan into an obligation - both financially and emotionally.
Almost the definition of being a fan, other than the money part. Supporting the team through thick or thin.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
Fan subreddits of ANYTHING (whether it be sports teams, video games, musicians etc) are usually hivemind cesspools because people are worried about their precious internet points (karma)

Tryforthekingdom

Nov 15, 2015
I guess if you're simple enough to believe blind loyalty is fandom, sure.
There's a difference between loyalty to a team and to individuals employed by a team though. I'd say we're all still fairly loyal to the team as an entity, otherwise we wouldn't all be here discussing this, and we certainly wouldn't be so chagrined by the current management.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

It's funny how people think it should f***ing matter to any grown human whether or not they can be classified as a fan, a true fan, a false fan, a fair weather fan, a fake fan, a ceiling fan. Who the f*** cares?

We all follow the team for whatever reason and have opinions on what is happening. Like it matters what that makes me in the eyes of others.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

/r/Canucks, the place where they aggressively downvote anything anti-Benning/Linden, a place where Benning is praised as the greatest GM in the league, is complaining that Benning gets too much criticism?

What’s next? Linden coming out saying that Hirsch is too critical of the Canucks management?

Reactions: Peter10 and ccjon

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Wait, wait, wait...

/r/Canucks, the place where they aggressively downvote anything anti-Benning/Linden, a place where Benning is praised as the greatest GM in the league, is complaining that Benning gets too much criticism?

What’s next? Linden coming out saying that Hirsch is too critical of the Canucks management?

Botchford has shown a few tweets in his articles that comment on how the evil local media is too hard on Benning and the Canucks. These people are cuckoo.

Reactions: infinitemile

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
It's not really surprising that r/canucks hates botchford, jpat, etc any of the media that isn't afraid to call out the team or ask the hard questions.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
There's a difference between loyalty to a team and to individuals employed by a team though. I'd say we're all still fairly loyal to the team as an entity, otherwise we wouldn't all be here discussing this, and we certainly wouldn't be so chagrined by the current management.

Pretty much. I want the team to succeed, primarily in the long-run more than the short run. I don’t have any feelings toward management beyond the job they are doing in helping the team achieve that success. If they seem to be helping then I’ll support them, if not then I want them gone. Wanting your team to succeed is fandom, not supporting incompetent management.

It’s like saying in order to be patriotic you need to unequivocally support whatever dimwit gets elected to run your country, regardless of how much harm he/she does to the country that you are supposedly patriotic to.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I didn't even bother to read that post because the first paragraph just screams "I'm brainwashed and don't have the ability to form my own opinion based on true facts".

Reactions: travis scott
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad