2017/2018 Management Discussion | NEW MOD WARNING IN OP AS OF 5/20/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
This is why hanging onto those early 2nds is so important. Not gonna get a Lind every time but there is usually some very good talent still available between 31-40. This is where good drafting teams can really get ahead.
Agreed! The value of picks falls off heavily usually around 40th overall depending on the draft. We should not trade these pick as a rebuilding team. I think the later picks are over valued on these boards but high seconds are very valuable. We traded one to Florida for Gudbranson have the Canucks traded another high 2nd. I know we traded mid 2nd for Vey and Sven and included a second for Sutter I believe not sure where that pick was. Was it Anaheim's for Bieksa. Anyway one of the biggest advantages for bad teams is not just the lottery but the high second round pick and should not be traded lightly.

There is now a zero tolerance policy in effect for off topic posts in this thread. That means if you go off on someone and make accusations about what their name used to be, instant 5 point warning. Do it again and you're banned from this thread. If you go off needlessly bashing other members, instant 5 point warning. Do it again and you're banned from this thread. That would really suck because we no longer have 1,000 post limits here. That means you're out until a new thread begins at the start of the 18/19 season. We need to get this under control.

Fair warning.

Last edited by a moderator:

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Continuing on from the last thread, we have propagandaception.

Having now exhausted any possible avenue for arguing Benning and Linden deserve to be here because of competence, the Benning Bros are now resorting to claiming cheering for the team under any circumstances is preferable to wanting them to lose just to get rid of them.

"I don't care if the Canucks ever get really good, I'm happy with 82 games of entertainment and a short playoffs because I have a life and don't get that involved. And that means I'm a better fan than you, because you're cheering for the team to lose. That's against my principles. I don't think long term or care if the team ever gets good again, because I have a desire to cheer whatever's happening at this moment right now. So I deserve a good team. You don't because I don't understand long term goals. So I'm going to register this account on hf to whine about your attitude, when if I really were just some average schmo I'd be perfectly happy lapping up pablum on reddit or CDC and would never have bothered."

Sounds legit.

Continue.

Fire Benning, Linden, Weisbrod, and whoever is running their media relations department.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Does it ever make you mad to think about the fact that Jim Benning is getting paid a six figure salary to systematically dismantle your hometown organization?

He’s not just botching picks, trades and contracts, he’s also removing competent staff and filling the organization with unqualified and incompetent “yes men.”

I’ll never understand how a multi-millionaire owner would allow two men with high school diplomas to run their organization.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Please just make it stop. I can't wait until we have a front office we can be confident in again. I want to be able to cheer for a winning team again, and that's not happening under Club 16 and his minions.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Does it ever make you mad to think about the fact that Jim Benning is getting paid a six figure salary to systematically dismantle your hometown organization?

He’s not just botching picks, trades and contracts, he’s also removing competent staff and filling the organization with unqualified and incompetent “yes men.”

I’ll never understand how a multi-millionaire owner would allow two men with high school diplomas to run their organization.
seven figure salary

Reactions: sting101

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..

They played in the NHL. That's all that seems to matters to some owners when picking their front office.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
They played in the NHL. That's all that seems to matters to some owners when picking their front office.

“Hey you played a sport full time for most of your adult life, didn’t go to college and never worked in a business environment in your life.”

“I think that you should be in charge of hiring, firing, legal contracts, long term planning, financial allocation, public relations, organizational relations, player development and scouting.”

Makes sense.

Songtao 88

Dec 26, 2014
Left Coast
“Hey you played a sport full time for most of your adult life, didn’t go to college and never worked in a business environment in your life.”

“I think that you should be in charge of hiring, firing, legal contracts, long term planning, financial allocation, public relations, organizational relations, player development and scouting.”

Makes sense.

"But Jim struggles to form a coherent sentence."

"Oh well, let's give him an open chequebook anyways."

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Yeah but Gillis Granlund Pouliot Boeser

Boeser is the first legit argument they have had in 4 years that Benning has done *something* right.

It’s actually kinda sad that the best they’ve had up to this point has been a soft 32 pt winger and a defensively suspect near-waiver wire candidate.

I’m almost glad they’ve finally got Boeser to use.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Boeser is the first legit argument they have had in 4 years that Benning has done *something* right.

It’s actually kinda sad that the best they’ve had up to this point has been a soft 32 pt winger and a defensively suspect near-waiver wire candidate.

I can think of a few more things but even if I put them all together it's still not even close to a fraction of the stupid shit Benning did...

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.

Makes sense.

Worked for Tampa. Just sayin. Not defending Benning.

moog35

Jul 25, 2007

Makes sense.

Or you could be like the Cleveland Browns and hire a well educated lawyer and a well educated businessman / numbers guy / analytics guy with zero experience in the sport

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Or you could be like the Cleveland Browns and hire a well educated lawyer and a well educated businessman / numbers guy / analytics guy with zero experience in the sport
The browns have been trash since they were awarded a new franchise and tried something different.

Comparing football management to hockey is also ridiculous considering there are players who exclusively play defense and offense and teams can be built with defense only and win championships.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast

Ideally I'd want someone with some experience and a analytical outlook.

Having someone who played hockey at a high level that doesn't mean the experience carries over to a managerial role. It's like getting a chef at a McDonalds, then asking them to overlook the entire branch in a managerial role in the entire city. That guy does not have the right experience to manage and hire the right people for that job.

This is probably who goons were around so long. Players like goons, but from a actual team building stand point, trying to build the best roster, they were and are useless. That's why it's called "intangibles", because trying to justify having a goon on your team on paper is very dumb. The reason they stayed around so long is because players become management and liked goons. A real dark stain in the history of the game.

This team needs a innovative new direction, you aren't going to get that with management who seemingly always copy someone else. Even if a analytical person fails to make a good team. The fact they they are innovating and pushing the envelope means a whole lot more then to just copy successful teams.

Like the quote from Moneyball, "if we try to play like the Yankees in here, we will lose to them out there.". Innovation drives competition in every facet of our society, why should it fail in a sports sense?

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

I already did a post about this. Trevor is Aqua's '94 crush turned 'yes' man and Benning is that old school 'yes' man (you know he's wise, old school, "blue collar" lol) so a yes from him is extra cool. They all play their little part and the billionaire's are rich either way from their dad's company. You know it wasn't their company it was their dad's that they took over - so why would they have to be smart. Look at how they acquired the Canucks anyways.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Why would a competent hockey guy work for Aquilini?

because it's everyone's dream to be Aquaman's side kick: waterboy.
:sarcasm:
v1.bjsxMjU4NTA7ajsxNzU1MTsxMjAwOzI1NDk7MTkxMg

MadaCanuckle

Jun 25, 2012
Lisboa

Funny stuff, Brackett pushed hard to draft him. Really, really hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->