Canucks ink five players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
The Canucks don't have many major free agents this summer, but GM Sean Keogh has inked five valuable roster players for next season and beyond, the club announced yesterday.

The biggest name is Jiri Slegr. Picked up in the waiver draft before the start of the 2003-04 season, Slegr has plenty of offensive ability, but now departed coach Mike Keenan hated the Czech defenceman's inconsistency. With Claude Julien coming in as coach, it is likely that Slegr will get a fresh start and could be asked to shoulder a heavy load next season on a young Canucks roster. Set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer, GM Sean Keogh made re-signing Slegr a priority.

Slegr wanted a long-term deal, and while the club has no released terms of the deal, reports suggest the contract is for three years, at an average of 2 million dollars per season.

Joining Slegr on the blueline next year will be Tom Preissing. The 25 year old former Hobey Baker finalist played a handful of games in Vancouver this past season, and is expected to take on a much greater role next season. The club announced Preissing's deal is for four years, at 1.2 million dollars per season. Signed as an unrestricted free agent out of college last season, Preissing demanded a raise over his previous contract, and Keogh bit.

The third defenceman re-signed was Steve McCarthy who accepted his qualifying offer for next season. The young blueliner will make just under a million dollars. Next year may be McCarthy's last chance to make an impression in Vancouver, considering he's dissapointed thus far.

Sami Pahlsson and J.P. Vigier were also re-signed. Pahlsson will be around for at least two more years, whereas Vigier signed for one year.

Other free agents Colin Forbes, Aaron Gavey, Dan Tessier, Rob Valicevic, Ryan Barnes, Martin Brochu, Carl Corazzini and Jeremy Reich are all going to be allowed to walk free. Talks with Julien Vauclair are ongoing.

Stan Smyl
Vancouver Province

Atlanta GM

Feb 27, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Visit site
Since when did Stan Smyl write for that Rag... The Province... lol :) If you said Tiger Williams I'd believe you. (I wonder if Tiger ever thought about suing that Woods guy.)

Seriously, Stan is the head coach of the Manitobia Moose, for now anyway. Looks like the Canucks new GM, will be exiting him from his responsibilities soon.

Anyway you gotta love the Steamer... I grew-up watching him.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Atlanta GM said:
Since when did Stan Smyl write for that Rag... The Province... lol :) If you said Tiger Williams I'd believe you. (I wonder if Tiger ever thought about suing that Woods guy.)

Seriously, Stan is the head coach of the Manitobia Moose, for now anyway. Looks like the Canucks new GM, will be exiting him from his responsibilities soon.

Anyway you gotta love the Steamer... I grew-up watching him.

I was going to pick a famous Vancouver player to be my writer...and considering Pavel Bure was on my team when I acquired the franchise, and Stan Smyl's got the nose (no Tim Hunter nose though), I picked him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad