Confirmed with Link: Canucks Extend Gudbranson (3 years, $4M AAV)

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Which part don't you understand? The Canucks have shut down players due to "injuries" whether the player felt is was legitimate or not. Malhotra was not happy to be put on the LTIR - it was a hamfisted way to save cap space.
So Malhotra is you only example? A players from half a decade ago under a completely different management group?

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
It is for Toronto. Because they're using LTIR and have no room for bonuses, every bonus that a player reaches gets tacked onto the next year's cap. Toronto currently has $5.4M in dead space because Matthews, Nylander, etc. hit bonuses last year. The same will happen for next year for any bonuses their guys hit this year.

It's the same reason the Canucks are losing space next year due to Boeser's bonuses. LTIR doesn't just make the contract disappear.
At the moment, Boeser's bonuses are not carrying over as per Capfriendly. That's unfortunate re: Toronto's bonuses, but isn't also a "best case scenario" that players on rookie contracts are scoring like madmen? Nobody will be complaining if Gudbranson is on the LTIR and Pettersson/Boeser are getting 80 points.

Luckily the Canucks will have extensive cap space next year and the year after. I also don't see the Gudbranson contract creating any space/roster issues, even with bonuses considered. It may not be "the point" but the fact is that Gudbranson's contract was never sizeable enough to cause any major headaches, and to suggest he can't be a regular player for the Canucks is I guess subjective at this point.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
They should learn from this, it's probably not a good idea to sign Boeser to an extension. Should probably let Tanev walk too while they are at it.
What kind of garbage logic is this.

The difference is Tanev and Boeser are good at ice hockey and Gudbranson isn’t. Also you should do your due dillegence before signing a player to a contact.

They literally watched Virtanen become a shell of his former self due to a shoulder surgery a couple years back where they didn’t do their due dillegence. Now it appears they’re making the same mistake.

How about you actually think for once.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
So Malhotra is you only example? A players from half a decade ago under a completely different management group?
Uh how many times would you expect a team to need to shut down players with injuries on account of cap space issues? There are only so many opportunities and examples. Lupul's comments this year were equally damning - teams will source doctors to agree with them, and if the NHL market is big enough, the NHL will find doctors to back them. Then they just go to the insurance companies and say "are you comfortable with insuring this player? Here are two independent doctor examinations"

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Uh how many times would you expect a team to need to shut down players with injuries on account of cap space issues? There are only so many opportunities and examples. Lupul's comments this year were equally damning - teams will source doctors to agree with them, and if the NHL market is big enough, the NHL will find doctors to back them. Then they just go to the insurance companies and say "are you comfortable with insuring this player? Here are two independent doctor examinations"
What exactly is your point? Gudbranson is going to be healthy enough to play next season so LTIR is completely irrelevant beyond this season.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Are Clarkson's contract or Horton's contracts currently problems for either the Leafs or the Jackets? There's nothing to lose here. I don't know what your point is, but it's proving mine.

Horton/Leafs yes. Horton is killing the ability to accrue cap space since he still counts against the cap, they can go over cap because of LTIR but can not acrue space while there. Space that could be used for bonuses, as open door mentioned.

CBJ/Clarkson. Yes. They traded him to Vegas, it cost them a 1st and 2nd to move that contract. Vegas are fine because they are still well below cap this year as an expansion team even with Clarkson, whether that holds into next year and beyond we will see.

It just goes to show that a bit of cap space can be used to bring in quality assets and why running a fully capped out tank team is costing this franchise a lot in lost opportunities.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Why do people care about Gudbransen contract? Its 3 years. We aren’t going to be a playoff team in 3 years and def not a contender. So who cares? Just filling space.
Vegas turned $5.25m * 3 into a 1st + 2nd. You could make and argument that Gudbranson at $4m*3 on LTIR is costing this team a 1st in eating a cap dump. Or you could put that towards 3 years of sign and trades for 2nds/3rds.

The talk of 3 years of LTIR is very premature, he was still playing a week ago he can't be that badly hurt.

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
Vegas turned $5.25m * 3 into a 1st + 2nd. You could make and argument that Gudbranson at $4m*3 on LTIR is costing this team a 1st in eating a cap dump. Or you could put that towards 3 years of sign and trades for 2nds/3rds.

The talk of 3 years of LTIR is very premature, he was still playing a week ago he can't be that badly hurt.
Depends on your definition of playing...

And he's undergoing surgery. Projected 6 month rehab indicates it will be major and no surgical outcome is guaranteed.

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
What kind of garbage logic is this.

The difference is Tanev and Boeser are good at ice hockey and Gudbranson isn’t. Also you should do your due dillegence before signing a player to a contact.

They literally watched Virtanen become a shell of his former self due to a shoulder surgery a couple years back where they didn’t do their due dillegence. Now it appears they’re making the same mistake.

How about you actually think for once.

You sir are all over the map..so if it was Boeser instead of Gudbranson in the exact same scenario it would be ok because why? Cause "hes a good player"? What the hell is the difference?! You can be pissed that they signed him but being more pissed because he was injured at that time is a true Canucks HFBoards overreaction.

So what would you do oh smart one...you would just let him walk? What if, oh I don't know, they trade him?

pgj98m3

Jan 8, 2012
You sir are all over the map..so if it was Boeser instead of Gudbranson in the exact same scenario it would be ok because why? Cause "hes a good player"? What the hell is the difference?! You can be pissed that they signed him but being more pissed because he was injured at that time is a true Canucks HFBoards overreaction.

So what would you do oh smart one...you would just let him walk? What if, oh I don't know, they trade him?
Signing a player to bring grit and physicality when he has a shoulder injury makes no sense and extending him when it should be obvious the injury could explain why he has done none of what he was brought in to do is is the definition of idiocy.

How about a 1 year extension at - oh - 1-2 million would have made sense. Letting him walk would have saved the 1-2 million.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

The fact that Boeser is a significant better asset doesn’t play a role in whether he should get a contract extension or not?

And absolutely if a guy like Tanev had a serious shoulder injury that required surgery the team should do its due dillegence.

It’s not an overreaction at all, if you actually critically analyze the fact that Gudbranson’s body clearly isn’t holding up, what warrants giving him a multi year deal? This isn’t EA sports injury history absolutely hinders a players ability to future play the sport.

If a bad hockey player who’s always injured has an injury where a massive surgery is needed it’s absolutely insane to sign him to a multi year contract without do your rightful due dillegence.

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
The fact that Boeser is a significant better asset doesn’t play a role in whether he should get a contract extension or not?

And absolutely if a guy like Tanev had a serious shoulder injury that required surgery the team should do its due dillegence.

It’s not an overreaction at all, if you actually critically analyze the fact that Gudbranson’s body clearly isn’t holding up, what warrants giving him a multi year deal? This isn’t EA sports injury history absolutely hinders a players ability to future play the sport.

If a bad hockey player who’s always injured has an injury where a massive surgery is needed it’s absolutely insane to sign him to a multi year contract without do your rightful due dillegence.

You seem to know your stuff. So instead of consulting medical professionals, the proper due diligence is to take advice from random guys posting on a hockey message forum?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
You seem to know your stuff. So instead of consulting medical professionals, the proper due diligence is to take advice from random guys posting on a hockey message forum?
Yeah because those medical professionals foreshadowed the same surgery for Virtanen so well, right?

Puck Ingrate

Aug 18, 2011
MSP / YVR

Ah, here we go. Can't come up with a logical counterargument anymore, so the only thing left to do is to put up a strawman, and attack the opposing party's credibility with a weak appeal to authority.

This happens way too often here. You don't have to be a pilot to notice when a plane's about to crash, and it's even more true when you know the pilot's terrible at his job.

Last edited:

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Once again, so happy the trust fund baby owner is paying a guy to not play. It's almost as good as the alimony he's paying. All because he gets his panties bunched when he sees Trev.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
So many posters here are more obsessed with the Aquilinis' money than the roster. Players on the LTIR do not count against the cap. If Gudbranson can't play anymore, he goes on the LTIR and maybe enters a coaching/advisory role like Dorsett this year. Everyone says Gudbranson is good to have in the room, so if he is not playing at all but sticks around, isn't that the best case scenario for the Negative Nancys?

"When a player is placed on LTIR, their cap hit remains on the teams cap payroll and it continues to count as it always did. It also does not provide the club with additional cap-space savings that can be banked for future use while the team operates above the salary cap. Instead, LTIR provides relief if the club's averaged club salary, or payroll, begins to exceed the upper limit"

LTIR FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Reactions: me2

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I will say that for those of us who have criticized Gudbranson's 8 PIM in his last 45 games, this does explain why he wouldn't be fighting or engaging physically. And fair enough.
I mean, with the Canucks so close to the playoffs, you can see why they wouldn't want to shut him down earlier, knowing that he wasn't playing near capacity... think of the massive drop-off in play if, say, Hutton or Biega were to get regular playing time! And the loss of momentum!

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Tanev has a leg injury. How the **** is he going to walk?:sarcasm:
giphy.gif

brokenhole

Aug 12, 2015
I wonder if they tried shopping him knowing he was injured? I imagine other teams scouting him would have noticed something wrong with him.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
Yeah, probably that he isn't very good at hockey. And if they somehow didn't, honest Jim probably just told them about the extent of his injury.

Anyways, this is just mega depressing, but absolutely fascinating: The Provies: The refs thing, the Hutton thing, MDZ props, Conspiracies and the wild Guddy origin story

Botchford deserves a Pulitzer for this one.
Botchford talked about something there that scared me when I first heard about the injury.

Benning knew about the injury when they signed the contract, which means he probably used that as leverage to bring the cap hit down to $4 million.

Basically, Benning is still a trash negotiator. Gudbranson wouldn't have got f*** all in free agency due to shoulder injury yet the team was still only able to bring down the cap hit to $4 million?

That's some pretty awful GMing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad