Confirmed with Link: Canucks Extend Gudbranson (3 years, $4M AAV)

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
So many posters here are more obsessed with the Aquilinis' money than the roster. Players on the LTIR do not count against the cap. If Gudbranson can't play anymore, he goes on the LTIR and maybe enters a coaching/advisory role like Dorsett this year. Everyone says Gudbranson is good to have in the room, so if he is not playing at all but sticks around, isn't that the best case scenario for the Negative Nancys?

That's like justifying Clarkson's contract by bringing up LTIR lol. Burying Guds there is a big if to begin with, and it's counter logical to claim that a troublesome contract can be justified on the basis that it's bearable if he's too injured to play.

It's like saying the contract is most effective when the team literally gets nothing from his services.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
B-B-B-BUT IT WAS REPORTED THAT SOME OTHER VERY SMART GM SAID THEY WOULD HAVE SIGNED HIM FOR MORE THAN THAT
146706443.0.jpg

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
That's like justifying Clarkson's contract by bringing up LTIR lol. Burying Guds there is a big if to begin with, and it's counter logical to claim that a troublesome contract can be justified on the basis that it's bearable if he's too injured to play.

It's like saying the contract is most effective when the team literally gets nothing from his services.
Are Clarkson's contract or Horton's contracts currently problems for either the Leafs or the Jackets? There's nothing to lose here. I don't know what your point is, but it's proving mine.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
So many posters here are more obsessed with the Aquilinis' money than the roster. Players on the LTIR do not count against the cap. If Gudbranson can't play anymore, he goes on the LTIR and maybe enters a coaching/advisory role like Dorsett this year. Everyone says Gudbranson is good to have in the room, so if he is not playing at all but sticks around, isn't that the best case scenario for the Negative Nancys?
I don't mean this in a rude way, but that suggestion is ridiculous.

Puck Ingrate

Aug 18, 2011
MSP / YVR
Are Clarkson's contract or Horton's contracts currently problems for either the Leafs or the Jackets? There's nothing to lose here. I don't know what your point is, but it's proving mine.

Clarkson and Pronger will never play again. Gudbranson's undergoing shoulder surgery and will be back next season...at which point he'll come off of IR. How is Gudbranson's situation even remotely comparable to those two?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Nothing to lose heh?
You honestly think Gudbranson will end up on LTIR for 3 years?

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

It is for Toronto. Because they're using LTIR and have no room for bonuses, every bonus that a player reaches gets tacked onto the next year's cap. Toronto currently has $5.4M in dead space because Matthews, Nylander, etc. hit bonuses last year. The same will happen for next year for any bonuses their guys hit this year.

It's the same reason the Canucks are losing space next year due to Boeser's bonuses. LTIR doesn't just make the contract disappear.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Nothing to lose heh?
You honestly think Gudbranson will end up on LTIR for 3 years?
If the shoulder injury is so bad that he can no longer be a professional hockey player, the Canucks have had no qualms shutting players down despite their protests or insistence on playing.

The reaction to this injury news is sensationalist. If he can play, it's status quo. If he can't, then the cynics have their cake.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Why do people care about Gudbransen contract? Its 3 years. We aren’t going to be a playoff team in 3 years and def not a contender. So who cares? Just filling space.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
If the shoulder injury is so bad that he can no longer be a professional hockey player, the Canucks have had no qualms shutting players down despite their protests or insistence on playing.

The reaction to this injury news is sensationalist. If he can play, it's status quo. If he can't, then the cynics have their cake.
Wtf are you even talking about

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Because giving a three year deal to Malhotra before he got his eye injury is the same thing as giving a three year deal to a guy you know had issues with his shoulder.

Reactions: MisfortuneCookie

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
Why do people care about Gudbransen contract? Its 3 years. We aren’t going to be a playoff team in 3 years and def not a contender. So who cares? Just filling space.

Because it speaks volumes about the brain trust that is running this ship.

You said it yourself... we won't be a playoff team in three years. Sort of hurts your pro Benning argument doesn't it?

The longer we have Benning, the further away the playoffs get.

Puck Ingrate

Aug 18, 2011
MSP / YVR

Because you need players that don't just "fill space" to be a playoff contender. Why are people so okay with mediocrity?

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

Best case scenario, we get absolutely nothing from him. Worst case scenario, he's a bad player with a contract we'll have to give up assets to move, like the Jackets had to do to dump Clarkson to Vegas or buy him out and lose cap space.

I'm just reaffirming your point, which is to take a risk for no reward.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver

Because you can use cap space as an asset, look how many teams were willing to pay teams to retain salary at the deadline this year.

You could have a player play at league minimum that can fill space like Gudbranson.

Reactions: timw33

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Wtf are you even talking about
Which part don't you understand? The Canucks have shut down players due to "injuries" whether the player felt is was legitimate or not. Malhotra was not happy to be put on the LTIR - it was a hamfisted way to save cap space.

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
The Benning and Weisbroad tandem has to be the worst pair of negotiators in the entire league.

Not to many checkmarks but a whole lot of strikes against over the past 4 years.

When are they gonna realize that they aren't the best with numbers and bring in some help with the financial and CBA side of management?

Again, why the hell did they fire Laurence Gilman?

Doubt Gudbranson plays 150 games before the end of his contract.

Guy is injury prone but those intangibles man, the intangibles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad