Canucks: Best Centre in #20 to #30 range.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
From the looks of things, the Canucks are going to pick somewhere between #20 and #30 (I wish). As an organization they have a serious lack of depth at centre. Behind Henrick Sedin and Brendon Morrion they have Ryan Kessler and Rick Rypien (Smolinsky is a rental). Josh Green and Trevor Linden are nominally centres, but both are more effective on the wing.

On the NHL club they are weak at RW, but they have Grabner, Hansen, Simek Schultz and Brown in the system. There is a chance they could go for another RW - Oscar Moeller of the Chilliwack Bruins is the only one in that range I would pick. But they will probably be looking for a centre in the 2007 draft.

Unless something strange occurs, Turris, Couture, Gagner, Esposito, Gilles and probably O'Brian and Hamill will be off the board in the top 20. Looking at who is left I see Brandon Sutter, Kevin Veilleux, Akim Aliu and Joakim Andersson. Of these I like Sutter and Andersson if they are available. I would avoid Aliu unless a long and in depth interview reveals some strength of character and coachability that has so far not materialized.

Sutter might not get past Calgary where his uncle will pick him, but if he dropped to the Canucks it would make games with the Flamers even more interesting. I could certainly live with Andersson.

The Canucks also have LA's pick in the 2nd round - which will almost as good as a late 1st rounder. In the last few years, the Canucks best picks have come from Thomas Gradin - their European scout, so I wouldn't be surprised if they go off the board with one of their 2nd round picks for some obscure Swede playing north of the arctic circle. They have also pick a number of local boys (Matt Butcher, Evan Fuller - too bad Kyle Turris will be gone) so they might go with Michael Repik, a Czech who plays with the WHL Giants.

Is it just me, or has Ron Delorme had a decent scouting find since Gino Odjick?

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Unless something strange occurs, Turris, Couture, Gagner, Esposito, Gilles and probably O'Brian and Hamill will be off the board in the top 20. Looking at who is left I see Brandon Sutter, Kevin Veilleux, Akim Aliu and Joakim Andersson. Of these I like Sutter and Andersson if they are available. I would avoid Aliu unless a long and in depth interview reveals some strength of character and coachability that has so far not materialized.

I've been a broken record about this, but I'd take Lars Eller over Akim Aliu with absolutely no hesitation. He's Danish so hopefully other teams will be wary of picking him in the 1st, but that shouldn't matter as he's the 2nd leading scorer in Swedish U-20 Hockey for Forlunda. He has more points than Andersson, and from what I've read by one of the Swedish posters on this forum his upside is probably quite abit higher than Brandon Sutter's.
This is what he said about Eller, "Henrik Zetterberg with more speed, best junior player in Sweden right now. "
And Elite Prospects.com said, "A very all around and skilled forward. Eller has quick feet, soft hands and a good work ethic. He is a skilled playmaker, but also a decent goal scorer. He worked hard and is valuabled in shorthanded situations. Quite spectacular player with few weaknesses."

My other pick would be Oscar Mollar, he's a extreamly good cycler of the puck and a right handed shot (perfect for the Sedins?). He also has both playmaking and goalscoring ability. Mollar's has excellent hockey sense and can play a 2-way game. He has a good skating speed and overall skating ability. He loves physical play, even if that might not translate as well to the NHL given he's under 6 feet.
Keep in mind that Mollar report is just things I've read about him, I havn't actually seen him play.

AgentNaslund*

any fast skaters out there? Cause after 10, everyone sucks. You cant avoid it. You can say skip out on Hamil, but then you pick up someone as bad as he is in some ways.

Kramy

Jul 11, 2006
Québec
Unless something strange occurs, Turris, Couture, Gagner, Esposito, Gilles and probably O'Brian and Hamill will be off the board in the top 20.

I'm far from 100% sure that Gillies, O'Brien and Hamill will be taken at #21.

Just my opinion!

EDIT : Just read the post another time and realize you wrote "probably", sorry! ;)

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
I'm far from 100% sure that Gillies, O'Brien and Hamill will be taken at #21.

Just my opinion!

EDIT : Just read the post another time and realize you wrote "probably", sorry! ;)

I agree, I think it's just as likely that all three are still around at #21.

If he's still on the board at this point, I would take Andersson. Sutter would be a good pick here, too. Maybe Eller, but I think he's higher risk than the other two.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
The Canucks have drafted so poorly in the 1st round that they will likely go with a safe pick. Although the last time they did that they picked Nathan Smith.

It is hard to know what Nonis is going to do - not enough of a track record. With Quinn, you knew he was going to pick some big lumbering oaf (Polasek, Stojanof, Antonski). Burke liked forwards with lots of speed but no finish at the NHL level (Smith, Holden, Kesler), and the Russians he picked are all playing in Russia (Chubarov, Koltsov, Shirakov, Krikanov).

The Jury is still out on Nonis. Bourdon was a decent pick - Kopitar would have been better. He is clearly not affraid to make big deals or go off the board. Grabner and Rahimi were both reaches last year, but both seem to be progressing quite well. Same with Raymond and Hansen the year before.

Thomas Gradin has done very well scouting European players - Grabner, Edler, Hansen, Rahimi, Simek etc., but I have little confidence in Ron Delorme or Harold Snepts as NA scouts.

It looks like we are going to have a late 1st round pick and I think we are down to 2 picks in the 2nd round - I think we still have LA's pick which will be an early one.
If Sutter and Andersson are still on the board when we pick I would be happy with either. Calgary would be hard pressed to pass on Sutter. We will likely finish ahead of Calgary, so unless Calgary goes to the conference final, they will pick before us.

Moeller is an interesting player, but is he all that different from Grabner, Hansen, Raymond and Simek?

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
We would have to trade up at least 10 probably more like 15 positions (top 10) to draft Esposito. To do that you have to give up a serious asset. That's a lot of pressure and expectations to put on one pick. Esposito is already a guy with lots of expectations on him who has not entirely lived up to them.

What the Canucks really need is to restock their prospects. We have some depth on D and between the pipes, and with our recent picks some guys who project out to be 2nd line forward material. We do lack for elite first line forwards, but I think it is better to have bunch of tier 2 forwards and hope 1 exceeds expectations rather than risk so much for a potential top tier guy and possibly miss.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
In a couple years, H. Sedin and Kesler will be an excellent 1-2 punch at C - Sedin the quality, first-line playmaking centre; Kesler a more defensive oriented centre, but a Joel Otto type. And Otto was Calgary's No. 2 centre early in his career.

There won't be a centre available at pick 20-something who can step in and chew up top-six forward minutes within the next two years. As cliche as it sounds, the Canucks have to pick the best player available. Drafting by position need is now irrelevant. Now that players are UFA's at 25, 26 and 27, roster management is completely different than it was five to 10 years ago. Just because you have a need now, doesn't mean it'll be a need in two or three years.

Aliu would be the last guy I want. Any Canuck fan can tell you the damaging effects of a bad attitude in a locker room.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
People if we trade up i want Jonathan Blum he is seriously going to be the one the best picks from this draft. If he was 2 inches taller he would be a concensous top 3 pick

WesternEliteHockeyPr

Mar 5, 2003
Visit site
Colton Gillies

He will be selected by Daryl Sutter. Sutter time and time again has told the Blades brass that they'll use their pick on him if he's around. He is a Sutter type player.

FTowwn

Jan 25, 2006
Canada
there shuld be a few options:
Mikael Backlund
Joakim Andersson
Oscar Moller
Colton Gillies
Akim Aliu

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad