GDT: Canucks @ Avs-3/24-6MT|donnons aux équipes 2 points pour les playoffs !

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Most of us do. Bender and I blast Sacco for not being capable of implementing a puck possession game which makes use of proper passing mechanics. But these are nhl guys, I can't let myself believe they are at fault so much as a lack of system and understanding for where to pass to are at fault.

It still could be Sacco's system, but the WHOLE effin team besides EJ, Parenteau, and ROR cannot effin make a simple pass or catch one. That is why I am wondering if it has more to do with the players than Sacco.

We simply don't have the players to employ a puck possession game. Certainly not on defense. Just look at how the team played when Barrie was playing a major role--and it's not like he played perfect hockey or anything, just managed to be a defenseman who could actually KEEP the puck on his stick once he had it. Makes all the difference in the world. Better coaching would certainly help, but no way would any coach be able to employ an effective puck possession game with the players we have on the ice.

I'd love to see the possession #s the team had at the team's start when both O'Reilly and Barrie weren't in the lineup. I imagine they were horrendous. And I guarantee our possession numbers go way, way down when shot-blocking extraordinaires Zanon and O'Byrne are on the ice.

We simply need better players in terms of puck possession. Far, far too many dump-and-chase types. The GM needs to look into players who drive possession. It'd be nice if the Avs had someone on the payroll who focused on advanced stats. But given these cheapskates, who am I kidding?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I assume you ment invisible not invincible. In either case you just described Stastny. And pretty much everyone hates Stastny around these parts.

Difference is, O'Reilly does it a lot more, and with more tenacity. You can tell every game when comparing the two play as to who wants it more, every game it seems like its O'Reilly. Stastny's decline started under Sucko and, unfortunately, I think he checked out completely last season when Stewart and Galiardi were traded

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Neither do I. It's sad that the majority do.

That's all the people following Dater with pitchforks and torches all screaming "BUT HE ISN'T WORTH $6 MILLION!"

I gained a lot of respect for Jibblescribbits recently. On a night when Dater was acting downright crazy on Twitter, he posted some very good arguments as to why Stastny hasn't put up good numbers. I don't think Stastny should be excused for poor play anymore than the rest of the team, but I think a lot of the stuff dissing him these days is mostly just inertia-based.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Wait people are angry at ROR? For what? playing hard tough hockey and putting up numbers with 3rd line dudes? Cmon people. The story of this team begins and ends on the blueline. EJ is not the guy to lead yet needs help aint getting it end of story...oh and Sacco couldnt coach my sisters jump rope team let alone a pro team.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Any reason in particular, or gut feeling?

Only ask because I've not noticed the team rally around his play as much as they seem to when guys like Dutch, PAP, and Lando, turn it on. Seems like a pretty professional/business like vibe to me, but I really only see it through the TV, and admit I am not always looking for it.

I guess it's a gut feeling but also the rest of the guys get that it's a business. Most of them have been through negotiations before and know what it can be like. Now, there are probably quite a few guys on the team that would have liked him to have been there to start the year but I doubt that any of the guys are pissed at him at all.
There hasn't been much to get excited or rally around about this year, it's been a forgettable season that can't end fast enough.

I've been saying this for quite some time. Sacco sucks and has to go but these 'players' have been playing this sport their whole lives and seemingly can't make simple plays and passes to save their lives.

It still could be Sacco's system, but the WHOLE effin team besides EJ, Parenteau, and ROR cannot effin make a simple pass or catch one. That is why I am wondering if it has more to do with the players than Sacco.

Well, let's see, these are the SAME guys who were with the team last year, for the most part and the Avs weren't out of the playoffs until the last week of the season, if I remember correctly. I don't remember hearing too many gripes about the passing last season when the playoffs were still a possibility. It's the same core plus we added PAP and the guys are a year older, they should be much better than they are showing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad