Post-Game Talk: Canucks 1 @ Jets 5

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
Lol when have the balls fallen the Canucks way? The beginning of the bad luck concerning anything luck of the draw and the Canucks occurred before this team even played its first game. It’s been a string of being screwed over ever since!

Reactions: nucks88

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Boeser, the only player on the team who's worth a damn, racing for Calder, Green boldly said he gotta earn his ice time and he ain't getting that by scoring goals.
Gagner, consistently bad plays with occasional offensive flares, mired by stupendously bad defense, still a coach's favorite.

Well, if you want him to develop into another Gagner, sure, don't hold him accountable for anything other than scoring.

We've got a long way to go before we're at Winnipeg's level... and I hope that when we are, Boeser is an all around contributor, rather than a one dimensional sniper.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Lol when have the balls fallen the Canucks way? The beginning of the bad luck concerning anything luck of the draw and the Canucks occurred before this team even played its first game. It’s been a string of being screwed over ever since!

Canucks have had good luck with the balls lately. Sometimes fate determines it is better to stay put or fall than win the lottery (see "winning" Yakupov). Fate handed us Ehlers, Tkachuk, Pettersson and that's as good or better than Reinhart, Pulju and Patrick. Sometimes you get screwed but I think the canucks have been lucky in that they have stayed put or fallen in good years. It'd be nice to win Matthews but we've not been set back.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Well, now we know why Goldobin isn't playing.

Because in Green's mind, not getting scored on is more important then scoring.
No, I think you're misinterpreting his comments. in his mind it's more important to not get scored on more than you're scoring.

However, based on his reasoning for not playing Goldobin, I legitimately do not understand how you can justify playing Eriksson, Gagner, Vanek, Dowd, etc.. for various reasons

Reactions: Jack Burton

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
These two are most definitely placeholders. I love Markstrom, but he won't be a true starter. Say what you want about the teamin front of him, one bad goal per game is beyond ridiculous if you aim to be a starter. It's sad because one bad goal per game isn't even an exaggeration - it happens every ****ing game (well, besides his long shutout...). I was in and out of this game, but he had two bad goals for sure tonight that fell squarely on his shoulders only.

Demko can't come soon enough to give this team a backbone. God, we need him to develop into a stud so bad.

A universal opinion amongst Canuck fans it seems. If he is even as good as Markstrom most Canuck fans will cut him endless slack just like they did Cloutier but if he doesn't take the next step we could be in big trouble at that position.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
No, I think you're misinterpreting his comments. in his mind it's more important to not get scored on more than you're scoring.

However, based on his reasoning for not playing Goldobin, I legitimately do not understand how you can justify playing Eriksson, Gagner, Vanek, Dowd, etc.. for various reasons

You play Eriksson because you have to... and the others guys are what they are and will all be gone in 3 years or less anyway.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

i thought goldobin looked incredibly bad when they put him with burmi, but they both did. they just fell apart. i thought that was on green for putting that crazy soft combo on the ice together, but green seems to have seen something in goldy's game for that game that really ticked him off.

or it's the taming of the shrew, starring goldobin as kate and green as petruchio.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Well, if you want him to develop into another Gagner, sure, don't hold him accountable for anything other than scoring.

We've got a long way to go before we're at Winnipeg's level... and I hope that when we are, Boeser is an all around contributor, rather than a one dimensional sniper.

Right, because Gagner is sooooooo good at things outside of scoring. Scoring is clearly his ONLY shortcoming.

Yep, seems legit.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Right, because Gagner is sooooooo good at things outside of scoring. Scoring is clearly his ONLY shortcoming.

Yep, seems legit.

Is he actually claiming Gagner is a one dimensional sniper? What sort of “sniper” has a career high of 18 goals???

Gagner isn’t so much one-dimensional as no-dimensional.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Is he actually claiming Gagner is a one dimensional sniper? What sort of “sniper” has a career high of 18 goals???

Sigh, seems like all the vets we signed to either insulate young players or hoping to buff up for TDL asset returns are not doing that well.

And now Dim Jim is looking to acquire more garbage...

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead

Actually, I'm saying that no one bothered to make Gagner anything more than what he is now... a guy who, if he's not involved in the offense, brings nothing to the table. Edmonton was great at giving young players lots of rope to hang themselves with.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Actually, I'm saying that no one bothered to make Gagner anything more than what he is now... a guy who, if he's not involved in the offense, brings nothing to the table. Edmonton was great at giving young players lots of rope to hang themselves with.

Ya and if Ovechkin didn’t score 50 goals a season he’d be useless too.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
He'll bring all that to mentor our kids with.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

This quote might hold a tiny bit of water if the team wasn't shoveling icetime at Gagner and Vanek who are literally the definition of this type of player. So is Daniel Sedin, at this point. So is Granlund to an extent.

Accountability only for kids (and Russians), as per usual.

Hopefully someone in the media has the balls to call them on this at some point.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
This quote might hold a tiny bit of water if the team wasn't shoveling icetime at Gagner and Vanek who are literally the definition of this type of player. So is Daniel Sedin, at this point. So is Granlund to an extent.

Accountability only for kids (and Russians), as per usual.

Hopefully someone in the media has the balls to call them on this at some point.

We'll see. The way I look at is they don't want him to turn out a useless player like those two where their offense is negated by their defense. I'm prepared to give Green time to see if his plans work, if Goldobin responds and improves his 2-way game that's the best in the long run.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
So whos doing the GDT for tomorrows game against the Preds. If noone does by later tonight I guess Ill have to again but some people complain and dont like it so hopefully someone who does em better steps up

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Canucks have had good luck with the balls lately. Sometimes fate determines it is better to stay put or fall than win the lottery (see "winning" Yakupov). Fate handed us Ehlers, Tkachuk, Pettersson and that's as good or better than Reinhart, Pulju and Patrick. Sometimes you get screwed but I think the canucks have been lucky in that they have stayed put or fallen in good years. It'd be nice to win Matthews but we've not been set back.

Yup. The Canucks easily could have Ehlers, Pastrnak, Tkachuk/Keller, and Debrincat on this team, but because of management they don't. Had we done a proper rebuild it would probably be over by now.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
I think it’s way too early to make the assumption of who of those players will have the best careers. The bottom line is that we picked lower than we should have lately. We also missed out on Gilbert Perrault in a similar scenario to begin the franchise. Asking fate to decide draft positioning has not been kind to the Canucks. Then you add in some terrible drafting over the years and there’s a lot of “what’s ifs to sort out. Like I said it’s still too early at the moment to say what option would have been better, but what if we hadn’t drafted juliolevi, Virtanen, Petterson etc, and grabbed players who are currently contributing to teams instead? Maybe holding the 2nds would have been skipped in favour of more picks/prospects. Maybe we may have tried to move up? The bottom line is that this team has wasted a bunch of 1st round picks over the years. We also haven’t had enough picks in later rounds, thanks general managers making useless deadline deals to try and get mediocre teams over the hump!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad