Post-Game Talk: Canucks 1 @ Jets 5

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
The tank is on. Despite Brock's best efforts.

I feel bad for Green btw.

Please make us steak dinner. Here's a questionable burger patty that's been sitting in my fridge for 2 years and some cooking oil.

Hopefully once management gets out of denial they will let him risk losing games by playing the prospects more and living with mistakes.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
They got really lucky when they moved up and grabbed Laine. Imagine if we had won that lottery, Matthews on a Canucks jersey would have looked real good.
To be fair the draft lottery is always gonna produce more losers than winners. But hey I dont think the canucks can be anymore unlucky, hopefully we will get into one of the top3 draft positions this year.
(sorry for the crooked english btw, english aint my first language, cheers!)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Becoming more obvious by the game that Markstrom and Nilsson are just placeholders until Demko arrives.....one will be traded for sure....they're basically giving the Canucks 'average' goaltending most nights....unfortunately this lineup simply can't win with 'average' goaltending. Lost track of how many times the first shot of the game has gone in on Markstrom.....the first goal of the game in the NHL is absolutely critical, and at the very least you have to make the other team work for it....otherwise your team is chasing all night long trying to come from behind. Can understand now why Willie rode Miller like a rented mule last season.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Playoffs??

We won’t be in a playoff position from this point forward.

Even if the BBB line is intact, this team still can't win consistent enough to be considered a threat in playoffs.

Like I said, other team just gotta send in their best D units and choke the life out of that line. There's almost nothing else left on the team.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Would love nothing more than to flip Markstrom for a pick or prospect. There is a reason he went 150 games without a shutout. Let’s in cheese every game.

Becoming more obvious by the game that Markstrom and Nilsson are just placeholders until Demko arrives.....one will be traded for sure....they're basically giving the Canucks 'average' goaltending most nights....unfortunately this lineup simply can't win with 'average' goaltending. Lost track of how many times the first shot of the game has gone in on Markstrom.....the first goal of the game in the NHL is absolutely critical, and at the very least you have to make the other team work for it....otherwise your team is chasing all night long trying to come from behind. Can understand now why Willie rode Miller like a rented mule last season.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
The tank is on. Despite Brock's best efforts.

I feel bad for Green btw.

Please make us steak dinner. Here's a questionable burger patty that's been sitting in my fridge for 2 years and some cooking oil.

Yeah, I really don't.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

These two are most definitely placeholders. I love Markstrom, but he won't be a true starter. Say what you want about the teamin front of him, one bad goal per game is beyond ridiculous if you aim to be a starter. It's sad because one bad goal per game isn't even an exaggeration - it happens every f***ing game (well, besides his long shutout...). I was in and out of this game, but he had two bad goals for sure tonight that fell squarely on his shoulders only.

Demko can't come soon enough to give this team a backbone. God, we need him to develop into a stud so bad.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Can understand now why Willie rode Miller like a rented mule last season.

Unfortunately, the narrative on here is that Willie and Benning simply love veterans and damned if they think certain kids/players aren't ready for more responsibility.

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Do people honestly think that goaltending is the reason VAN lost this game?
I wish we got goaltending like this every night. The worst thing to happen during a rebuild is to have good goaltending hide a badly constructed roster. I also would rather not win games 2-1 because it rewards a boring style of hockey. No fun in winning 2-1 games when you're rebuilding unless the goaltender is a young stud that's a big part of your future (Marky and Nilsson are clearly place holders so I don't give a f*** about their stats to be honest).

Last edited:

maroon 6

Dec 31, 2009
British Columbia
It’s time for Nilsson to be the regular starter. We wouldn’t have won with him either but win or lose Markstrom always finds a way to let in a bad one. This season is a lost cause but I would still like the team to be as competitive as possible which will benefit the development of our young guys, and with Nilsson there’s a bigger chance of winning.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
We have the 8th highest ES SV% in the league right now.

Clearly our goaltenders are not the issue.

The issue is clearly the fact we have 50 ES goals, 25th in the league in ES goals. 27th in GF/60. If we were to play every game without any PK/PP time we would average 2.14 goals per game. Even if you add all the PP time/PK time we had. We'd still be 27th in the league with 2.62 GF/60.

Team has no goalscorers except for a superstar rookie. Goaltending has been carrying us.

Teamoo

Jan 20, 2016
Asssessment final time:

Boeser - good game tried his hardest but not much to work with
SEdins - Slow and got tired and outworked by a poor quality opponent
Vanek - tries and disappears but has some heart kinda grown on me
Virtanen - tries pretty hard you can see it just wish he was smarter or talented
Eriksson - one of his worse games ever. Should be benched or humiliated in a group setting
Gagner - Should quit hockey. The sooner the better
Burmur - Whats his point?
Granny - See Burmur comments
Dowd - See Granny comments
Gaunce - Meh i guess if he had better teammates hed be seen as a solid 4th liner. Not bad better then the rest of the bottom 6 crap
Chaput - See Dowd comments

Tanev - Workhorse. Wish others could learn from him
Edler - Please wave that NTC
De Zotto - Turned into a solid craptastic #8
Hutton - Flaky out there but probably our 3rd best dman
Stecher - Seems easily rattled
Pouliot - played like the first part of his name

Marky - Yikes

I've enjoyed this, care to make one of the Jets. Don't hold back haha

Teamoo

Jan 20, 2016
Hey guys, enjoyed reading all your insights! Also, I've been impressed with your youth, hope to see that continue. Good luck gents

vtm26

Oct 28, 2013
Do you think the team has a chance turning things around again without Horvat and Baertschi?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
About the only thing I liked beyond Boesser's goal was the way Virtanen played. He made one almost huge mistake but by and large he was doing what I said I wanted to see from him (in the Virtanen thread). I wanted to see him bring the puck to the net, try to get into better scoring areas rather than the low percentage shot Raymond-esque shot from the wing. Sure the toe drag didn't work but he needs to keep on trying to do those types of things instead of always settling for that almost pointless shot. Hhe has a good shot but it isn't the accurate rocket Boeser has so Virtanen is going to have to do a little extra/get a little closer to score in the NHL. Last night he was trying to do just that.

Granlund, Gagner, Burmistrov need to be gone.

Granlund showing why I failed to get excited over 40 or so games at elevated icetime and a couple good pre-season games. He is still the same player he was in Calgary...soon to be waiver fodder. Regardless of what you think or thought about Shinkaruk his value etc, Granlund is showing why it was just another relatively pointless trade made by Benning.

Gagner was waiver material before having a strong, PP heavy, opposition protected half season in Columbus. Somehow he turned that into $9.3 million. I guarantee Columbus management was having a good chuckle over that contract. I said when that deal was signed it would onyl take a month or two to see why it was terrible. This was another example of god awful pro scouting.

Burmistrov...well no one should have expected anything from him. He didn't even do enough for the Coyotes to earn a low value one year deal. He is what he is...a complete bust. He's KHL bound next season and waiver/AHL bound this season.

Goldobin...again not that he has impressed me but when you have all this useless crap dressed why the heck aren't you dressing the 22 year old to get, more or less, the final read on whether he can hang in the NHL? Atrocious lineup decision.

Gaunce....Gaunce, Gaunce, Gaunce. You do some some things defensively. Actually a lot of nice things. But he has zero confidence with the puck. He had a clear shooting opportunity in the high slot early in the game and he tries to be Henrik and pass it down low to the side of the net. He's not Henrik. It didn't work. Just take the muffin shot. Maybe it goes in! Oh wait you weren't shooting on Markstrom.

Do you think the team has a chance turning things around again without Horvat and Baertschi?

They weren't going to truly "turn it around" with them...so no I don't think they'll turn it around.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jack Burton

Rocksterh8

Dec 10, 2017
I'm watching the WPG feed, I wish Tomlinson would stop making up things about goaltending.

Tomlinson is a former player with a big chip on his shoulder, can't stand is commentary on TSN or anywhere else. He should do something else as he's terrible at telling people whats wrong with the team.

Rocksterh8

Dec 10, 2017
LOL chaput just waltzing around, leaving his guy open in the slot while he skates behind the net...

Chaput, Dowd and Gage-me are all terrible and not NHL players at all. They are all minor league players but they are lucky the Canucks GM can't see that.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Funny how some proclaims that this board harbors unfounded hatred for Benning and that dipshit Willie because oh they just want young players to play more responsibly blah blah blah.

Let's have a look at a few things

Goldobin, scores a goal, make a mistake, Willie staples him on the bench.
Megna, plays like manure every game, Willie gives him plenty of ice time over other young players.

Boeser, the only player on the team who's worth a damn, racing for Calder, Green boldly said he gotta earn his ice time and he ain't getting that by scoring goals.
Gagner, consistently bad plays with occasional offensive flares, mired by stupendously bad defense, still a coach's favorite.

I know, some gonna say oh come on kids gotta learn, vets don't, that's why they are vets. Well if you're Sedin, sure, they've contributed to this team in the past more so than anyone else. But Megna and Gagner aren't Sedins are they?

To put it lightly, this is called double standards but it's really just hypocrisy in its finest form.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
well now we have the team people were expecting.

i am impressed by how much horvat carried this team. i had no idea how good he was until he was gone. he was basically creating trickle down momentum and space for 3 lines of complimentary players to operate. boeser remains amazing but more or less on his own. we have zero play drivers other than the sedins in their limited current form.

it sucks that goldobin is caught in this. not sure if green will tighten up and play willie ball now, or defy the gods and hope something happens. at this stage i think the results will be the same. we may as well bring up boucher or megna and send goldobin down until bo is healthy.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
well now we have the team people were expecting.

Well truth be told the team people were expecting was always there. Like the previous couple of seasons it just needed to be revealed to the the masses through a couple of injuries.

I also want to comment on Markstrom...his ability to let in the soft goal is Cloutier-esque. But like Cloutier you can still build the rest of the team with him between the pipes and make very good progress. If you can upgrade long term for reasonable cost sure do it but I don't think you need to run him from the team or from the starters position. I feel pretty much the same way about Nilsson.

Last edited:

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I also want to comment on Markstrom...his ability to let in the soft goal is Cloutier-esque. But like Cloutier you can still build the rest of the team with him between the pipes and make very good progress. If you can upgrade long term for reasonable cost sure do it but I don't think you need to run him from the team or from the starters position. I feel pretty much the same way about Nilsson.

i don't think markstrom is cloutier like and goaltending is still one of these least of our worries. we have demko in the system, and markstrom and nillson are both playing at a higher level than the team in front of them.

cloutier gave up bad goals at key moments on mental errors. markstrom gives up some bad mental goals early in games but tends to be bear down. he also gets beaten on technical weaknesses. how many shots have gone in under his trapper arm this season?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
They got really lucky when they moved up and grabbed Laine. Imagine if we had won that lottery, Matthews on a Canucks jersey would have looked real good.

Well if we didn't sweep the meaningless Cali road trip that year (with Hamhuis scoring a game tying goal after not being traded) we literally would have Matthews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad